Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:14 AM

558 posts, read 1,120,573 times

Advertisements

Well your "smart and effective" people thing makes no sense really. The teams working at your local restaurant making and serving your food may not be college educated (or they may be) but we need them. As a society we need ALL types of people, not just your book smart nerds who take care of the big stuff like Healthcare, Technology, etc.
Americas future will always need all types of people at all levels of smarts.
I once helped a very "smart" guy get his car un-stranded...he was out of gas, his gas gauge was not working properly. I'm a jack of many trades with no college education but I can fix your car, help build your house, use any tool in the toolbox. We all have our place on this planet and to cut down us who are not book smart is kind of sad really.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:13 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times

Reminder: posts in Great Debates should rarely be short one or two sentence blurbs. Well thought out debate is what is expected. Future short, quick comment posts will be deleted.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:28 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I personally think that with the transition of the American economy, we have seen a transition of American culture as well. With the loss of American industrial jobs, there is no longer a range of employment that offers a comfortable middle-class lifestyle. You can no longer "get by." You either har to work hard for what you want, or slink into obscurity. You're either "somebody" or "nobody", there is no comfortable medium. I'm not yet sure if this is good or bad.
It's a disaster is what it is.

A good education, worth ethic, and some decent experience used to get you a decent job where you could earn a living for years. Nowadays, it gets you exactly nothing except a chance to play the "wheel of jobs" lottery and maybe, if you're really lucky, you might get a job and it might even last a few years. Meanwhile, connected idiots are given lifetime employment thanks to the "who know you, not what you know" economic model on which our nation now proudly operates.

So, while the nation may need good workers and intelligent people, it is certainly doing whatever it can to grind those same people into the dirt. Based upon how people in this society are treated vs. what is right, the future will look a lot more like "Idiocracy" than "Star Trek."

Old 04-20-2014, 04:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Always been that way and always will be in every country. the provides and dependent. Government can survive with out one but not the other since they depend on them too. Reality.every country belongs to those who work and prosper and its in America its one of easiest to be among them.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:53 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,575,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Smart and effective people are the greatest contributors to society. They lead innovation, education, discovery, and prosperity. America needs to reward smart, skilled, and effective people if this country wants a sustainable future of economic power and affluence. The sad truth is that too many Americans have been told that it's okay to be mediocre, or worse it's someone else's fault. They have never acquired a competitive mind or key skills in building affluence. Jobs should exist to fit their skill level and expectations.

Smart and effective people have always written America's success story. If things go bad, they may lose that ability. What would this country become then?
If that's the case, we need to import more those F1 and HB1 Asians.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:31 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times

This thread has struggled to meet the standards of the Great Debates forum. It is being closed until it can be sent to a more appropriate forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates