Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:32 AM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times

Advertisements

Tariffs in United States history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Tariffs were the largest (approaching 95% at times) source of federal revenue until the Federal income tax began after 1913. For well over a century the federal government was largely financed by tariffs averaging about 20% on foreign imports."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 11:00 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Thank you, do you happen to know what that level is today? I am assuming it's much less, and has room for improvement.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Approximately 96 percent of U.S. merchandise imports are industrial (non-agricultural) goods. The United States currently has a trade-weighted average import tariff rate of 2.0 percent on industrial goods. One-half of all industrial goods entering the United States enter duty free.

Industrial Tariffs | Office of the United States Trade Representative
Here's an extensive list: Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States

Pathetic if you ask me.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:55 PM

Holy crap, pardon my French... See now here's a direct issue that I can personally bring up to my local government! I agree with you 200% this is absurd. Kind of validates my starting the thread, by posting the question of if we should even up the playing field. If an American company were to buy goods from an American producer, manufacture such goods, it looks to me that the American manufacturing company would lose money to "buy local"...

Old 04-06-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Here's an extensive list: Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States

Pathetic if you ask me.
Bookmarked your link by the way, that's an awesome source, and I appreciate it, I am going to comb over it in more detail over the following few weeks! Thanks very much!

Old 04-06-2014, 05:02 PM

You're quite welcome. I have been pushing this for quite some time, but almost everyone has been dead set against it. The common argument is "Tariffs will start a trade war with China." To which I reply: "If tariffs cause trade wars then why haven't we declared war on China which charges 8 times* more for tariffs as we do?" People are just so mesmerized by Free Trade they can't allow themselves to look at the reality.

* Source: How we pay Chinese taxes. 20% of their government revenue from import taxes | Trade ReformTrade Reform

Chinese tariff rates: http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/doc...doc_113817.pdf

Here's a website that calculates the tariff on any product between any two countries: Import duty & taxes made easy | DutyCalculator

Old 04-06-2014, 05:06 PM

Since you are well versed on the topic. If you had one thing to say to the non-educated on this subject. One recommendation as to how they can get this noticed and in motion, what would you say your solution is?

Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
You know things are screwed up when the NRA comes begging and all they have to offer are hats made in China because they claim they can't get them made in the USA and still afford to use them as incentives.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Since you are well versed on the topic. If you had one thing to say to the non-educated on this subject. One recommendation as to how they can get this noticed and in motion, what would you say your solution is?
Education. People just do not understand the matter. Most people don't even know what a tariff is. Hard to believe, considering it was such an important part of our country's development. I didn't know about it myself until I began studying it on my own. Politicians don't want to propose tariffs because they know it will raise the price of many goods which are now imported. That will contribute to inflation. But as it currently stands, we are just fooling ourselves into believing that we have a high standard of living. It is only high relative to foreigners who are working in sweatshops overseas. But Americans don't care about them because, again, we are uneducated as to the conditions of foreign workers in foreign factories.

So the solution would be:
  • Required curriculum in schools on economic history, international trade, and living conditions in other countries. Extend the school year from 180 days to 250 days as it is in Asian countries.
  • Heavy tax on entertainment so that people are forced to read educational books, which would not be taxed.
  • Prohibit ex-politicians from working as consultants for foreign countries and companies.
  • Require all goods imported from other countries to be made in accordance with our laws, including labor laws, environmental laws, tax laws, etc. If they don't they will be tariffed in proportion to how poorly they follow these laws.
  • Extensive product labeling telling exactly what factory the product was made in, what the starting wages in that factory are, whether or not that factory follows American laws (they could be given a grade for this), how many violations the factory has had, etc.
  • Hold politicians accountable. When they say they will stop the offshoring of US jobs, ask them how instead of simply nodding our heads.
  • End the income tax. It was purposely left out of the Constitution by the Founding Fathers. It is destructive and taxes us where it shouldn't and allowed the government to not tax us where it should (imports).
I could go on, but what's the use? These things will never happen. People get entrenched in erroneous thinking and it is hard to snap them out of it.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Education. People just do not understand the matter. Most people don't even know what a tariff is. Hard to believe, considering it was such an important part of our country's development. I didn't know about it myself until I began studying it on my own. Politicians don't want to propose tariffs because they know it will raise the price of many goods which are now imported. That will contribute to inflation. But as it currently stands, we are just fooling ourselves into believing that we have a high standard of living. It is only high relative to foreigners who are working in sweatshops overseas. But Americans don't care about them because, again, we are uneducated as to the conditions of foreign workers in foreign factories.

So the solution would be:
  • Required curriculum in schools on economic history, international trade, and living conditions in other countries. Extend the school year from 180 days to 250 days as it is in Asian countries.
  • Heavy tax on entertainment so that people are forced to read educational books, which would not be taxed.
  • Prohibit ex-politicians from working as consultants for foreign countries and companies.
  • Require all goods imported from other countries to be made in accordance with our laws, including labor laws, environmental laws, tax laws, etc. If they don't they will be tariffed in proportion to how poorly they follow these laws.
  • Extensive product labeling telling exactly what factory the product was made in, what the starting wages in that factory are, whether or not that factory follows American laws (they could be given a grade for this), how many violations the factory has had, etc.
  • Hold politicians accountable. When they say they will stop the offshoring of US jobs, ask them how instead of simply nodding our heads.
  • End the income tax. It was purposely left out of the Constitution by the Founding Fathers. It is destructive and taxes us where it shouldn't and allowed the government to not tax us where it should (imports).
I could go on, but what's the use? These things will never happen. People get entrenched in erroneous thinking and it is hard to snap them out of it.
Well argued, I appreciate all of your input. I, for one, will be writing some letters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates