Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:08 AM

684 posts, read 868,442 times

Advertisements

"This list is by no means an exact science. But those who we considered Jewish were those who were of Jewish descent or those who openly identified as Jews either personally or in thier giving. There are a number of folks on this list below that we were unsure about, and they are denoted with asterisks.
Some quick stats: We are reasonably certain that 139 of the richest 400 Americans are Jewish, including 20 of the richest 50. Those top 20 control some $211.8 billion in personal wealth."

At least 139 of the Forbes 400 are Jewish | Jewish Telegraphic Agency

I was stunned to read that 139 of the 400 richest people in 2011 were Jewish (35% of the richest). I looked through the list and have no reason to think it is not accurate. And they accomplished this incredible feat even though the Jewish population comprises only 2% of all Americans.

I don't understand their success secrets, but I would think that all other groups could benefit by studying their incredible accomplishments and try to reproduce their success.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:28 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Being Jewish has little to do with it, how one thinks and acts does. Trying to replicate something based on the ethnicity or race of another is a worthless pursuit. There are successful and deadbeats everywhere.

Instead, find out why someone is successful in whatever you take that to mean and replicate that. Introducing the fact that some are Jewish brings something into the equation you can't replicate.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Being Jewish has little to do with it, how one thinks and acts does. Trying to replicate something based on the ethnicity or race of another is a worthless pursuit. There are successful and deadbeats everywhere.

Instead, find out why someone is successful in whatever you take that to mean and replicate that. Introducing the fact that some are Jewish brings something into the equation you can't replicate.

When 2% of the population comprises 35% of the richest people, I have to think that there is something that group of people is doing something very significant that is different than the remainder.

As I said in my original post, I don't understand what they are doing different. How one thinks and acts (as you put it) could well be part of it. Nonetheless, they are clearly incredibly successful and I would think other less successful groups and/or families could benefit from understanding the "how" and then try to reproduce that success for their children and people.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:06 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
When 2% of the population comprises 35% of the richest people, I have to think that there is something that group of people is doing something very significant that is different than the remainder.

As I said in my original post, I don't understand what they are doing different. How one thinks and acts (as you put it) could well be part of it. Nonetheless, they are clearly incredibly successful and I would think other less successful groups and/or families could benefit from understanding the "how" and then try to reproduce that success for their children and people.
My own theory on this follows:

Historically, Jewish people have been discriminated against, persecuted, and often (in historical terms),driven out of their homes, expelled from their cities and countries, and as a result developed an attitude that they should embrace education. They can take your thingd, but things can be replaced if you have the knowledge of how to do so.

It is not directly "Jewishness" that might lead to disproportionate success, but this culture of education.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:15 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,040,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post

Historically, Jewish people have been discriminated against, persecuted, and often (in historical terms),driven out of their homes, expelled from their cities and countries, and as a result developed an attitude that they should embrace education. They can take your thingd, but things can be replaced if you have the knowledge of how to do so.

It is not directly "Jewishness" that might lead to disproportionate success, but this culture of education.
On the other hand, disproportionate white gentile success is due to oppression and couldn't possibly ever be deserved.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post

That would certainly help to explain their success. I've frequently read about Asian tiger moms stressing education and their perceived need for their children to attain A's in their classwork. I don't recall reading about Jewish Mothers stressing the same thing, but it could well be a significant contributor to their overall success.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:27 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
I think it has more to do with the fact that jewish people could not own property in the Middle Ages, and many Jews went into academia, became doctors,money lenders, or merchants. They went into the professions that they were allowed into. It just so happens, that those professions are profitable. ( except academia)

Old 04-14-2014, 10:03 AM

957 posts, read 1,132,549 times
No, their success cannot be copied
you've gotta cope with that
it's them who invented private property, capitalism and everything that goes with it
and created a religion out of it
written in the Bible, Talmud etc they begin to study since early childhood

Old 04-14-2014, 10:08 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Perhaps this has something to do with it.
Quote:
A Jewish average IQ of 115 is 8 points higher than the generally accepted IQ of their closest rivals—Northeast Asians—and approximately 40% higher than the global average IQ of 79.1 calculated by Richard Lynn and Tatu Vanhanen in IQ and Global Inequity.
There is a strong correlation between intelligence and wealth.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:21 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,040,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Perhaps this has something to do with it.

There is a strong correlation between intelligence and wealth.
That can't be. I am repeatedly assured by expertly trained sociology majors that IQ is an irrelevant social construct (but conservatives lack it and are stupid).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates