Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 05:36 AM

684 posts, read 869,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
That is socio-economic

What? Please elaborate more.

The numbers of married black women has decreased, while the numbers of unmarried black women has increased. However, the birthrate for black women has decreased to its lowest point ever documented.

Understanding Out-of-Wedlock Births in Black America - Ta-Nehisi Coates - The Atlantic

Father involvement comes in many forms. A single parent household doesn't equate to "lack of fathers"

Black fathers are more involved with their children on a daily basis - in both coresidential and nonresidential situations - than any other racial group.

The Myth of the Absent Black Father -

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr071.pdf

To suggest that the African American community does not value education because of marital status is absurd. Inequalities and inequities, regarding education for example, goes beyond the color of skin. We must look towards the social structures of American society, and not make simplistic analyses like you have done.

I never said or implied that a single parent household equates to a "lack of fathers". Nor did I say or suggest that "the African American community does not value education because of marital status".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 05:29 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
"Asian Americans generally come out on the losing side of affirmative action, however, so Michigan’s ban might have served their interests. As George Mason University School of Law Professor David Bernstein put it in this post, ”had the dissent been the majority, the Supreme Court would have restructured Michigan’s political process to the disadvantage of Asian Americans.” If voters were unable to enact a ban on racial preferences, in other words, Asian Americans would lose the right to join with other groups to pass such a measure — exactly why Sotomayor said Michigan’s Prop. 2 was unconstitutional in her dissent.

The plight of Asian students in U.S. colleges is an embarrassing side effect of admissions policies that consider the race, ethnic background or even national origin of some groups of students but not others."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2014/04/23/hidden-bystanders-in-michigans-affirmative-action-case-asian-americans

Obviously, to hold that the Supreme Court ruling hurts racial minorities would be an overreach, because an opposite decision could and likely would have hurt Asian American students.
I must agree with you on this. In fact, this was one of the things that always bothered me about affirmative action. While some schools held onto affirmative action, they excluded Asians from that group that could benefit from this because, as a result, the Asians were 'over represented' in these elite colleges. If anything, Asians became the target of anti-affirmative action, having quotas to limit their enrollment.

Affirmative action was and is destined to die because it never answered the question of what would happen if one minority group far exceeded another or the majority for that matter. There is an assumption that affirmative action was necessary because of past discriminatory practices. However, both Asians and Jewish students have shown this past discrimination to be of little consequence when they value education and high performance above all else. So if it wasn't past discrimination that has become the issue, what is the issue? It is and always will be a cultural question. If one group decides that education is of utmost importance, that group performs well.

The real answer to increasing Black and Hispanic enrollment in elite colleges is not to engage in additional discriminatory practices such as affirmative action, but to have a cultural shift where education becomes the ultimate goal of these groups. I do not think this cultural shift can be legislated. Until and unless these minority groups place education as high on their list as the Asian and Jewish students, they will continue to see smaller enrollment numbers. The standards should be the same for incoming students, regardless of their race, which would ultimately be the single best way to ensure fairness across the board.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I must agree with you on this. In fact, this was one of the things that always bothered me about affirmative action. While some schools held onto affirmative action, they excluded Asians from that group that could benefit from this because, as a result, the Asians were 'over represented' in these elite colleges. If anything, Asians became the target of anti-affirmative action, having quotas to limit their enrollment.

Affirmative action was and is destined to die because it never answered the question of what would happen if one minority group far exceeded another or the majority for that matter. There is an assumption that affirmative action was necessary because of past discriminatory practices. However, both Asians and Jewish students have shown this past discrimination to be of little consequence when they value education and high performance above all else. So if it wasn't past discrimination that has become the issue, what is the issue? It is and always will be a cultural question. If one group decides that education is of utmost importance, that group performs well.

The real answer to increasing Black and Hispanic enrollment in elite colleges is not to engage in additional discriminatory practices such as affirmative action, but to have a cultural shift where education becomes the ultimate goal of these groups. I do not think this cultural shift can be legislated. Until and unless these minority groups place education as high on their list as the Asian and Jewish students, they will continue to see smaller enrollment numbers. The standards should be the same for incoming students, regardless of their race, which would ultimately be the single best way to ensure fairness across the board.

I totally agree that culture cannot be legislated, just as individual individual success can not be legislated.

Different cultures place different values on different things. Clearly, the Asian and Jewish cultures in America (and perhaps elsewhere) place a high value on their children's education, which means that they influence and exert pressure on their children to study and learn in an unfailing manner and also learn to compete for grades.

I do not at all have a sense that the African American culture comes near to placing and emphasizing education in its culture anywhere near the way that is valued in the Asian and the Jewish culture. All other things being equal that should mean that African American students not be able able to compete on average with their Jewish and Asian peer group. Of course, we have learned that is absolutely true when it comes to college admissions.

I not sure that I have a good sense of where the Hispanic community falls in terms of placing a high value on and emphasis on educating their children.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
I totally agree that culture cannot be legislated, just as individual individual success can not be legislated.

Different cultures place different values on different things. Clearly, the Asian and Jewish cultures in America (and perhaps elsewhere) place a high value on their children's education, which means that they influence and exert pressure on their children to study and learn in an unfailing manner and also learn to compete for grades.

I do not at all have a sense that the African American culture comes near to placing and emphasizing education in its culture anywhere near the way that is valued in the Asian and the Jewish culture. All other things being equal that should mean that African American students not be able able to compete on average with their Jewish and Asian peer group. Of course, we have learned that is absolutely true when it comes to college admissions.

I not sure that I have a good sense of where the Hispanic community falls in terms of placing a high value on and emphasis on educating their children.
I think you and I are in violent agreement. Based on my what I've seen, the Hispanic community is a very hard-working community in terms of work ethic. It's only a matter of time before that community also extends that to education. In many ways, it reminds me of the Asian's community cultural shift from valuing a hard work ethic to expanding to include an equally high value on education.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:33 PM

770 posts, read 1,131,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
That is socio-economic

What? Please elaborate more.

The numbers of married black women has decreased, while the numbers of unmarried black women has increased. However, the birthrate for black women has decreased to its lowest point ever documented.

Understanding Out-of-Wedlock Births in Black America - Ta-Nehisi Coates - The Atlantic

Father involvement comes in many forms. A single parent household doesn't equate to "lack of fathers"

Black fathers are more involved with their children on a daily basis - in both coresidential and nonresidential situations - than any other racial group.

The Myth of the Absent Black Father -

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr071.pdf

To suggest that the African American community does not value education because of marital status is absurd. Inequalities and inequities, regarding education for example, goes beyond the color of skin. We must look towards the social structures of American society, and not make simplistic analyses like you have done.

No cherry picking facts my friend. I spent 7 years in a title one school and I could count on one hand the number of Black Dad's who came into parent/teacher conferences. On the second day of class, I would have the children draw their families. With no exageration, perhaps 1 out of 50 would put in a Dad figure. Speaks volumes.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
No cherry picking facts my friend. I spent 7 years in a title one school and I could count on one hand the number of Black Dad's who came into parent/teacher conferences. On the second day of class, I would have the children draw their families. With no exageration, perhaps 1 out of 50 would put in a Dad figure. Speaks volumes.

I don't know what a "title one" school is. Given this truth, I lack the perspective needed to properly understand your post.

Does the ratio that you cite of "1 out of 50 Fathers" pertain to only African American Fathers or is that meant to be a ratio for all Fathers?

Old 05-14-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I don't know what a "title one" school is. Given this truth, I lack the perspective needed to properly understand your post.

Does the ratio that you cite of "1 out of 50 Fathers" pertain to only African American Fathers or is that meant to be a ratio for all Fathers?
Wudge,

Good question. A Title 1 School in the state I taught in had parameters for enrolement. If 95% of the school population was eligible for free or reduced lunch (and later breakfasts), it is considered a poverty school. I taught in two Title 1 Schools, one was elementary and the the other was middle school.

Typically, the student population was about 70% Black, 20 % ESL (usually Hispanic), and the remainder about 5 % white and then a mixed population.

The quote I used was for Black Fathers. The ESL kids typically had a Dad in their pictures, while the rest was a mixed bag.

Of note, although the parents of many of the ESL students hardly spoke English, in many instances both the Mom and Dad would show up for conferences. I say their Dads were there about 70% of the time.

Study after study has confirmed the importance of having a father at home for childrens academic and social development. The lack of a Dad sets these poor kids far behind their peers who have a Dad, in most cases.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:23 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
I don't know what a "title one" school is.
Title I schools are schools that recieve additional federal funding based on this law, which originated as a result of LBJ's War on Poverty:

Title I - Improving The Academic Achievement Of The Disadvantaged

As of the latest changes to what stipulated a Title I school, schools where 35% of the kids come from poverty (defined by a whole bunch of measures, to include free/reduced lunch rates) are eligible to be Title I schools. Most systems take the funds, occasionally some don't because that designation comes with a lot of federal regulations and oversight. Most people were not aware that NCLB could only apply to Title I schools. One trick some districts figured out during the height of NCLB was to put the bulk of their Special Ed kids to non-Title I schools. As of last count, over 50% of all schools are Title I. Most Title I schools are not problematic schools. It is when you start talking high free/reduced lunch rates that it gets rough. Those schools are where you see dismal educational scores, high absenteeism, high rates of drop outs, wholesale educational apathy, poor parental participation, and these schools tend to have a disproportionately high number minority students.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
Wudge,

Good question. A Title 1 School in the state I taught in had parameters for enrolement. If 95% of the school population was eligible for free or reduced lunch (and later breakfasts), it is considered a poverty school. I taught in two Title 1 Schools, one was elementary and the the other was middle school.

Typically, the student population was about 70% Black, 20 % ESL (usually Hispanic), and the remainder about 5 % white and then a mixed population.

The quote I used was for Black Fathers. The ESL kids typically had a Dad in their pictures, while the rest was a mixed bag.

Of note, although the parents of many of the ESL students hardly spoke English, in many instances both the Mom and Dad would show up for conferences. I say their Dads were there about 70% of the time.

Study after study has confirmed the importance of having a father at home for childrens academic and social development. The lack of a Dad sets these poor kids far behind their peers who have a Dad, in most cases.

Thank you for explaining what "title one schools" are in actuality. I also researched this subject after I read your post. To me (I'm an old curmudgeon), title one schools truly represents a foreign world of which I have now learned a wee bit about.

Going back to my question on what you were to referring to by your "1 out of 50" comment, you also explained that you were referring to African American Fathers. Such a lack of interest and/or involvement in the education of their child or children is appalling to me. I know that I benefited from having two parents who were both very interested in and involved in how my education was progressing right up through my High School days. I think most children would benefit too.

I've said elsewhere that parenting is the toughest job, hands down. And I believe that many single parent households operate at a distinct disadvantage to two parent households wherein both parents are actively involved in the raising of their children.

It's hard for me to fathom how or why so many African American Fathers seemingly detach themselves from a continual and/or very active involvement in the education of their children. It implies to me a distinct lack of "caring". That may read as a harsh assessment but it is what plays around in my mind. If that simple assessment is at all accurate, then I believe it screams out for a culture change within the African American community.

One thing is for sure, both parents should care. Simply not caring, as would be represented by a continually absentee parent, has to represent a huge and personal failing as both a parent and a person.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Thank you for explaining what "title one schools" are in actuality. I also researched this subject after I read your post. To me (I'm an old curmudgeon), title one schools truly represents a foreign world of which I have now learned a wee bit about.

Going back to my question on what you were to referring to by your "1 out of 50" comment, you also explained that you were referring to African American Fathers. Such a lack of interest and/or involvement in the education of their child or children is appalling to me. I know that I benefited from having two parents who were both very interested in and involved in how my education was progressing right up through my High School days. I think most children would benefit too.

I've said elsewhere that parenting is the toughest job, hands down. And I believe that many single parent households operate at a distinct disadvantage to two parent households wherein both parents are actively involved in the raising of their children.

It's hard for me to fathom how or why so many African American Fathers seemingly detach themselves from a continual and/or very active involvement in the education of their children. It implies to me a distinct lack of "caring". That may read as a harsh assessment but it is what plays around in my mind. If that simple assessment is at all accurate, then I believe it screams out for a culture change within the African American community.

One thing is for sure, both parents should care. Simply not caring, as would be represented by a continually absentee parent, has to represent a huge and personal failing as both a parent and a person.

Yes, sadly. Some of poor kids were so deficited by the time they got to class they were actually at a mature toddler level in reasoning and understanding.

We have to be careful in not lumping all Black Men as bad fathers, there are many great ones (one of my pals is an excellent Dad, who does not put up with BS I might add), but there are many others who impregnate the woman and disappear. Often, if a mother had three children, there were at least two biological fathers with no $ support.

Liberals are responsible for much of this issue which savages our black families, yet their taking responsiblity for it is clearly absent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates