Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 10:08 PM

8,573 posts, read 8,589,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am late to this party but I have a simple question. Where are the debates, soul searching and second guessing as to why 90% of nurses and nursing students are female? Every time you turn around you see another panel wringing their collective hands why there aren't more women in some field. Never the other way around. The pattern seems to be this. If there is an endeavor that lacks white males in expected proportion nobody cares. If it lacks females, minorities (only approved minorities mind you) then we have a national crisis on our hands requiring an investigation by a Presidential commission.

OK guess what % of the CEOs and CFOs in this country are white men, and then come back to me if you think that white men have a hard time.

Usually when white men are under represented in a field its because they aren't interested as they have better options elsewhere.

The bulk of the teams are owned by whites and the bulk of the coaches are whites, so its white men who decide who plays. Usually not blacks.

Hospitals are actually actively seeking more male nurses now, but seriously how many men grow up dreaming one day to be a nurse!

Old 05-31-2014, 02:32 AM

119 posts, read 301,560 times
From my experience not many blacks choose to study computer science or engineering so how would they be greatly represented in a tech company? I do know many Asians specifically Indians stick together (married to one) and will hire those from their own ethnic group first, regardless of skill (again my experience...).

Old 05-31-2014, 03:27 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,187,513 times
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do." - R.A. Heinlein

Google isn't in the diversity business, it's in the computer business. Computers don't care what color fingers are clicking their mice and tapping their keys (biometric security systems excluded).

Old 05-31-2014, 07:59 AM

24,752 posts, read 17,492,137 times
Google like any other company should be allowed to hire the best and brightest and not be forced to diversify from that formula. They have lots of Asians and Indians working there. The reason why there is only 2% blacks is because blacks don't excell at the skills that google requires. Black people are just as smart as whites but there are many factors to consider and the biggest is opportunity and education. Kids of all colour all over America are bombarded by the media that it is not cool to be buried in the books like a Nerd instead America celebrates the Jocks, and the entertainers. It is certainly more attractive to many kids to be good at anything but being Smart.
I really thought president Obama would have lifted up many black kids to believe that if they study hard they could achieve anything including the oval office but the opposite seems to have happened.
Kids need to know it is cool to be smart and the sky is the limit.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:08 AM
Status: "Just think, a Buc-ee's replacing an old Buc-ee's." (set 1 day ago)

52,780 posts, read 48,176,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
Google's Official Blog Announced:

"We’ve always been reluctant to publish numbers about the diversity of our workforce at Google. We now realize we were wrong, and that it’s time to be candid about the issues. Put simply, Google is not where we want to be when it comes to diversity, and it’s hard to address these kinds of challenges if you’re not prepared to discuss them openly, and with the facts. So, here are our numbers:"

Google Diversity Numbers - Business Insider

Color me stunned at the incredibly small 2% black employment figure from a corporation that has always supported liberals and liberal politics. At a minimum, if Google is not racist (and/or sexist), something very hypocritical is afoot here, because they have always alleged that they support diversity.
The question that was raised: Google Says It Supports Diversity, Yet Just 2% Of Its Employees Are Black. Is It A Racist Company?

The answer is "No". 2 percent is better than zero, and race should not ever be an issue when hiring prospective employees. If a person is qualified to take on the tasks of any business, then that should be the criteria for hiring. Race should never be an issue, but sadly, to some folks, it's all they look at. I don't look at companies as being "racist" in their practices because you're never going to statistically have equal numbers of persuasions in any place. It's just not going to happen.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:35 AM

684 posts, read 875,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
The question that was raised: Google Says It Supports Diversity, Yet Just 2% Of Its Employees Are Black. Is It A Racist Company?

The answer is "No". 2 percent is better than zero, and race should not ever be an issue when hiring prospective employees. If a person is qualified to take on the tasks of any business, then that should be the criteria for hiring. Race should never be an issue, but sadly, to some folks, it's all they look at. I don't look at companies as being "racist" in their practices because you're never going to statistically have equal numbers of persuasions in any place. It's just not going to happen.
I don't believe a company can claim to support diversity without taking race into consideration in a serious way, which I can't say Google's numbers evidence. It would seem that Jesse Jackson may well have called them on their hypocrisy when he went out to execute his unsavory, if not illegal, Rainbow PUSH coalition work in his recent visit to silicon valley.

Moreover, as I continue to look at Google, I find other staffing situations that indicate prejudice might well be at work inside Google; e.g., when I examine Google's senior executive hires, I find a high percentage (50% or so) are Jewish or have a Jewish spouse, and given that the founders are Jewish but claim to support diversity, its entirely reasonable to question their sincerity and wonder whether or not bigotry, if not racism, is practiced by Google.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:56 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,177,685 times
Very few want to admit it, but the lack of diversity at Google is not a white people problem.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:21 AM

6,321 posts, read 4,344,010 times
I don't know what's been said about this in previous posts, but there were just too many to go back and read, so I'll add my two cents even if I repeat someone else's opinion.

I'm really tired of hearing about "diversity."

People act as though every company should have the same percentage of blacks as the percentage of the general population - or they're not diverse enough. Who cares? Blacks only represent 12% of the population, and they tend to have concentrations in certain areas like most other ethnic groups. If Google's workplaces aren't in one of these concentrations, finding enough qualified black folks to represent 12% of your company might be pretty damn hard.

I'm also tired of the assumption that if a company doesn't have that magic number of minorities, somehow it's being racist. As the poster above said, this simply isn't a white person's problem. It's not up to whites to give blacks special privileges and dispensations just so they don't have to compete as hard or so they don't have to be quite as qualified as a white applicant.

Oh, and how come no one ever worries if there are enough Asians or Arabs or Mongols or Native Americans working for these places? It seems like the issue is always whether there are enough blacks or that blacks need some kind of handicap in order for them to get hired.

And no, I'm not a racist. I'm not even white. But I can see nonsense when I see it.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:45 AM

56 posts, read 63,252 times
Quote:
Posted by Shirina

Oh, and how come no one ever worries if there are enough Asians or Arabs or Mongols or Native Americans working for these places? It seems like the issue is always whether there are enough blacks or that blacks need some kind of handicap in order for them to get hired.
That is because Blacks have a deeply rooted history of systematic oppression in this country, unlike other minorities (264 years of legalized slavery, and 100 years or so of separate but equal laws). All this has led for our current culture to believe that Blacks are less than in some way or another. When you have a black individual apply for a job vs a white employers are more likely to pick the white individuals despite the fact that their qualifications are the same( 2004 study). This is simply not the case with Asians. This kind of thinking is so embedded in American culture that even Blacks have tendencies to think poorly of themselves

"In 2005 Kiri Davis repeated the experiment in Harlem as part of her short but excellent film, “A Girl Like Me”. She asked 21 children and 71% told her that the white doll was the nice one. Not a huge sample size, true, but it was still shocking to see how easily many chose the white doll.

In 2009 after Obama became president, “Good Morning America” on ABC did the test. They asked 19 black children from Norfolk, Virginia. It is hard to compare their numbers because they allowed “both” and “neither” as an answer. They also asked the last question first, making it far easier to answer: 88% said the black doll looked most like them.

ABC added a question too: “Which doll is pretty?” The boys said both, but 47% of the black girls said the white doll was the pretty one."

Racism is bad for all minorities but especially worse for Blacks in terms of social, cultural, economic, educational, etc. opportunities. Again this is not the case of Asians.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:54 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,469,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
Google's Official Blog Announced:

"We’ve always been reluctant to publish numbers about the diversity of our workforce at Google. We now realize we were wrong, and that it’s time to be candid about the issues. Put simply, Google is not where we want to be when it comes to diversity, and it’s hard to address these kinds of challenges if you’re not prepared to discuss them openly, and with the facts. So, here are our numbers:"

Google Diversity Numbers - Business Insider

Color me stunned at the incredibly small 2% black employment figure from a corporation that has always supported liberals and liberal politics. At a minimum, if Google is not racist (and/or sexist), something very hypocritical is afoot here, because they have always alleged that they support diversity.
why do we look at color at all? and honestly what percent of that line of work is black? prob 1 or 2%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates