Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 05:49 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,699,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
I don't believe a company can claim to support diversity without taking race into consideration in a serious way, which I can't say Google's numbers evidence. It would seem that Jesse Jackson may well have called them on their hypocrisy when he went out to execute his unsavory, if not illegal, Rainbow PUSH coalition work in his recent visit to silicon valley.

Moreover, as I continue to look at Google, I find other staffing situations that indicate prejudice might well be at work inside Google; e.g., when I examine Google's senior executive hires, I find a high percentage (50% or so) are Jewish or have a Jewish spouse, and given that the founders are Jewish but claim to support diversity, its entirely reasonable to question their sincerity and wonder whether or not bigotry, if not racism, is practiced by Google.
"Racist" and "Racism" have become so overused that the words have lost much of their meaning.

Google, like any other company, should be hiring the best and the brightest, regardless of skin color or religious affiliation. The angst and hand wringing from the "diversity at any cost" group is as pathetic as it is tiresome.

Last edited by TaxPhd; 05-31-2014 at 06:01 PM..

Old 05-31-2014, 06:09 PM

285 posts, read 427,424 times
True blacks arent really into STEM..yet, its growing. But there are other jobs within Google that have nothing to do with tech

Old 05-31-2014, 06:22 PM

684 posts, read 870,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
"Racist" and "Racism" have become so overused that the words have lost much of their meaning.

Google, like any other company, should be hiring the best and the brightest, regardless of skin color or religious affiliation. The angst and hand wringing from the "diversity at any cost" cost group is as pathetic as it is tiresome.
Google has forever claimed to support diversity. Moreover, my recall is that the Democratic party created and heavily pushed diversity as a centerpiece of their platform, and Google contributes heavily to the Democrats and has long done so. As such, I certainly perceive hypocrisy (Googles' words are not supported by its actions) being alive and well within Google, because their numbers at face value do not and have not supported the diversity they have claimed to support. Even worse, it took a visit by Jesse Jackson -- I am any thing but a fan or Jesse Jackson and his Rainbow Push coalition -- to get Google to fess up.

Further, my sensibilities have the elite faction in the Democratic party as certainly being the Jewish faction, and Googles' CEO, Larry Page, is Jewish as is Sergey Brin who co-founded Google with Larry. So to me, there is an additional hypocrisy factor in play here. And that says nothing of Google's senior executive hires having a heavy Jewish representation. So once again I see a likely diversity/hypocrisy issue in play. Which could be said to have a pathetic but tiresome ring to it.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:42 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,841,578 times
I get it, so to some people lack of diversity means - lack of black people.

Any other diversity factor is irrelevant; gender, socioeconomic back ground, national origin, religion, ethnicity, race (unless it is black), etc; all those diversity factors are meaningless, some of you think the only diversity measurement that matters is the number of black people.

I am still awaiting the answers to the questions I previously posted...

Old 05-31-2014, 06:45 PM

31,940 posts, read 27,048,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Blacks are 3%, Hispanics are 4% of Google's employee base in California where they are 40% . Yet you only mention blacks. Can you tell me why?
Because AAs are the usual suspects when it comes to demanding "diversity" based upon some correlation between general population, and this time is no different, to wit Jesse Jackson hounding Google et al over the matter. Will give you Hispanics and women are trailing along for the ride as well. But again the arguments are the same; we are "X" of the local/total American population therefore we should have "X" numbers at this or that company.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,841,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Because AAs are the usual suspects when it comes to demanding "diversity" based upon some correlation between general population, and this time is no different, to wit Jesse Jackson hounding Google et al over the matter. Will give you Hispanics and women are trailing along for the ride as well. But again the arguments are the same; we are "X" of the local/total American population therefore we should have "X" numbers at this or that company.
Yes, many people do not understand the term "availability", which is the availability of the skills for a certain position in the recruiting area. Companies and the fed gov use this when evaluating disparate impact in hiring, and federal contractors use it to set goals to reach out to under utilized groups (by the way, according to the fed gov, whites and males can never be underutilized, federal contractors are not even required to set goals and outreach to whites or males).

A company like Google cannot force a certain group to obtain the skills it needs. I doubt society will ever want a company to have this kind of power. Some people here feel the need to hold a company accountable, yet not ever grant it the authority to correct its perceived deficiencies.

As I showed a few posts back, whites and males are actually under represented at Google according to their availability; of course this was a generic availability analysis because a real one will be by position or job group.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:15 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,298,392 times
Quote:
Usually when white men are under represented in a field its because they aren't interested as they have better options elsewhere.
Why are you hitting yourself on the head when women aren't in some field? You can say the same thing about them.

Quote:
The bulk of the teams are owned by whites and the bulk of the coaches are whites, so its white men who decide who plays. Usually not blacks.
Whaaaaaa?

Quote:
Hospitals are actually actively seeking more male nurses now, but seriously how many men grow up dreaming one day to be a nurse!

Let me just rephrase your sentence: but seriously how many women grow up dreaming one day to be a C++ programmer?

Old 05-31-2014, 07:48 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,519,697 times
What is the percentage of blacks and hispanics with computer science degrees as opposed to them in the general population? That should be how this is viewed.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:28 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,699,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
Google has forever claimed to support diversity. Moreover, my recall is that the Democratic party created and heavily pushed diversity as a centerpiece of their platform, and Google contributes heavily to the Democrats and has long done so. As such, I certainly perceive hypocrisy (Googles' words are not supported by its actions) being alive and well within Google, because their numbers at face value do not and have not supported the diversity they have claimed to support. Even worse, it took a visit by Jesse Jackson -- I am any thing but a fan or Jesse Jackson and his Rainbow Push coalition -- to get Google to fess up.

Further, my sensibilities have the elite faction in the Democratic party as certainly being the Jewish faction, and Googles' CEO, Larry Page, is Jewish as is Sergey Brin who co-founded Google with Larry. So to me, there is an additional hypocrisy factor in play here. And that says nothing of Google's senior executive hires having a heavy Jewish representation. So once again I see a likely diversity/hypocrisy issue in play. Which could be said to have a pathetic but tiresome ring to it.
You have failed to address post #123. Until you, do, this discussion is rather meaningless.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:33 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,675,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I’m sure some will get a little wild when I say this, but it’s no longer whites in the majority oppressing blacks, but other blacks. The only person is the black community that seems to recognize this is Dr. Cosby, but he’s a sellout in the black community.

It's time for them to get over it and stop playing victim.
Nobody is "playing victim." The oppression, and its effects of the systematic discrimination that has purposefully created a class of people who start the process of life in a subordinate condiion, continue to this day. Let me ask you a question.....would you want to be black in this society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates