Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 01:36 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,860,499 times

Advertisements

I wonder what the parents were doing. Why were they not monitoring what their children were watching/playing? Why were these children not taught real/pretend?

You cant shelter your children but you can monitor their exposure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 01:51 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,699,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I wonder what the parents were doing. Why were they not monitoring what their children were watching/playing? Why were these children not taught real/pretend?

You cant shelter your children but you can monitor their exposure.
Exactly. The parents should be charged with child neglect. Parents should be held accountable for their little munchkins who are cruising around on the internet on sites like creepy pasta.

And what 12 year old uses words like "ballistic"?

Old 06-04-2014, 05:51 AM

14,436 posts, read 14,374,163 times
If nothing else those who want to put these girls away for life can't do so because this is an attempted murder rather than an actual murder and even the penalty for an adult offender would not be life in prison.

I know that's "what you think" should happen and "what many of you want to happen". The problem is that the judicial system isn't set up to do that. And, don't blame judges for it either. It all falls back to the penalties set for crimes by the legislature. Got that?

Like it or not, at some point these girls are getting out of jail. Its fine with me because I don't believe in locking up twelve year old's and throwing away the key. Yes, I know its a very vicious crime. I've heard all the details too.

In my state, all twelve year old's who commit any criminal offense would automatically be dealt with in the juvenile system. The law here doesn't permit anyone under 14 to be tried in adult court. That's how I think it should be everywhere.

Frankly, I'm disgusted how many people are so angry that they are fixated on outcomes that aren't even possible under the judicial system. Intelligent people would realize that, like it or not, someday these girls will be released from custody. I'm hearing nothing, but raw emotion here though--every little intelligence. The issue is trying to get them to a point where they can be released and be safe within society again. Its going to take a lot of structure and monitoring. I believe it can be achieved.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:12 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,383,951 times
IDk, stabbing someone is very up close and personal (eye to eye) 19times no-less with a huge kitchen knife -left bleeding to die. (It was only through Gods grace she barely survived)

Juvenile or adult court, it mattes not, justice will be served accordingly. One thing is for certain, these two girls lives are ruined for life, and the victim, well, she might never recover from this, mentality.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:39 AM

624 posts, read 764,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
I believe it is clear these two girls had become totally disassociated with reality and need real help mentally. Moreover, one of the girls asked a person who was questioning her, in a serious way, if their stabbing of the victim represented self-defense. To me, that is a thought only a fruit-caked mind would think possible.

Moreover, it sounds like after they had stabbed their victim, they took off on a walk to meet the mythical character, Slender Man, in his mansion in a forest.

I think this is far more a case for mental health professionals than it is for an adult penitentiary.
Or a child trying to come up with any excuse they can think of for their actions.

This is a horrifying case, but it is not the first time young girls have committed a crime like this. I think the two girls were probably jealous of their victim, and came up with the Slender Man BS as an excuse to get even with the victim, for her perceived transgressions. Which could be anything from talking to a boy one of them liked, developing faster than the others, or getting a new pair of shoes.

Speaking as a former girl who was subjected to bullying from a specific group of girls for two years in Junior High, girls at this age can be monsters. They are caught between childhood and impending adulthood, probably come from Moderator cut: implied inappropriate language homes. Some of them just go rouge, and there usually aren't the same interventions in place like there are for boys who exhibit aggressive behaviors.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-04-2014 at 08:37 AM..

Old 06-04-2014, 07:22 AM

684 posts, read 872,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
Or a child trying to come up with any excuse they can think of for their actions.

This is a horrifying case, but it is not the first time young girls have committed a crime like this. I think the two girls were probably jealous of their victim, and came up with the Slender Man BS as an excuse to get even with the victim, for her perceived transgressions. Which could be anything from talking to a boy one of them liked, developing faster than the others, or getting a new pair of shoes.

Speaking as a former girl who was subjected to bullying from a specific group of girls for two years in Junior High, girls at this age can be monsters. They are caught between childhood and impending adulthood, probably come from sh*tty homes. Some of them just go rouge, and there usually aren't the same interventions in place like there are for boys who exhibit aggressive behaviors.
It is a horrifying case Ten Cat; I could not agree more. And you might well be right that they got caught in a figurative TwiLight Zone world (my take), which didn't exist in reality but did exist in their young minds.

Moreover, based on what they told law enforcement, my belief is that they had been considering if Slender Man existed or not. And using their immature reasoning skills, they decided that he did exist and set about to pay homage to him based on their readings at Creepypasta wiki.

Net, they speculated on evidence that does not exist in reality and from that they reasoned that a character that does not exist in reality, really did exist.

Obviously, this represents a massive reasoning error, but it stems from the fact that they simply lacked the mental facilities necessary to enable them to distinguish between fiction and reality.

Now, I don't want to offend you in any way, but I think you have done something similar in your reasoning. You said: "I think the two girls were probably jealous of their victim, and came up with the Slender Man BS as an excuse to get even with the victim, for her perceived transgressions."

As best I know, the evidence basis for your holding is totally non existent. Yet, you believe it probably is true. Probably represents a more likely than not situation. Which you have come to believe without having any supporting evidence -- other than your ability to draw on your own experience, which is not evidence.

I consider what you have done to be a reasoning error as well.

Our minds can play tricks on us. We need to be watchful of how we arrive at our beliefs, and this case certainly reflects that to be the absolute truth.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:32 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,588,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
So if a six year old steals a candy bar, they should go to jail too.
You're comparing stealing a candy bar to attempted murder? Interesting. Not even close. I'm not sure you would be so forgiving if this was your child that was stabbed 19 times by these two.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:35 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,695,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think they should be tried as juveniles and kept within the juvenile justice system.

However, I think custody for the next six years until they turn age 18 is appropriate. These girls have lost the right to live at home with their families through their violent actions.
The problem with this scenario is after 6 years, they are out to take another life. This is not normal behavior and needs to be squashed now, not later. They are obviously mentally disturbed. Putting them in Juvy for 6 years isn't going to fix the problem and leaves the door open for them to commit more heinous crimes down the road.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:45 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,695,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Sorry, but stabbing a peer for the sheer fun of living out a fantasy scenario is really not comparable to 'stealing loaves of bread to survive'

I don't care if they're tried as adults or not; I'm not sure if it'll make any difference since they're clearly mentally disturbed sociopaths.
I DO think they need to be kept away from society for life - whether it's in jail or mental institution. I honestly doubt a 12 year old who is capable of something like this has a chance of growing up to be a normal person. They'll likely always remain a menace to others. It's not about revenge, it's about keeping more innocent people from becoming victims.
I agree. People get too caught up in some of these kids thinking they are just kids. They aren't. Something happened to them that turned them into sociopaths. They baited this girl, made her think they were friends with her and then stabbed her repeatedly. Stabbing is far more personal than shooting someone or poisoning them. This gives greater insight into how twisted they are mentally. Some TLC isn't going to fix these girls mentally. And having worked with and known kids who have gone through the juvenile system, that is definitely not going to fix them. These 2 girls do not feel remorse and if turned loose in society, I have little doubt they'll kill again. Unfortunately, they will more than likely get that opportunity somewhere down the road and someone else will probably lose their life because some people are gullible enough to think that they can be fixed simply because they are kids.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:53 AM

14,436 posts, read 14,374,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
The problem with this scenario is after 6 years, they are out to take another life. This is not normal behavior and needs to be squashed now, not later. They are obviously mentally disturbed. Putting them in Juvy for 6 years isn't going to fix the problem and leaves the door open for them to commit more heinous crimes down the road.
Granted this an awfully serious crime, but you could make the same argument about many offenders. I think six years is a very long time for a twelve year old. The girls can also be released with a certain amount of supervision and monitoring.

You state quite emphatically in another post that you are sure that if these girls are released they will commit another such crime. You don't know that anymore than you know what the weather will be like a year from now.

The person who could given an opinion that would be worth hearing on this kind of a subject is a criminologist not a lay person on CDF. I did find this information. Juvenile girl offenders are not particularly likely to commit a second crime after serving a sentence. This is from NY. However, after two years, the average girl offender who is released has an 18% rate of being rearrested for a felony. Not inconsequential, but 82% are not rearrested for a felony after 2 years of being released.

http://ocfs.state.ny.us/main/detenti...ct%20sheet.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates