Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 10:05 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,571,143 times

Advertisements

Cape Cod Todd, what does Bengazi have to do with prisoners of war? It doesn't, interesting you felt the need to bring it up. Also, there is no VA coverup. It's all out there, we've heard all about it. It's in the news. You can't cover up what is already made public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 06:55 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,674,611 times
The Taliban won't be the only ones kidnapping since the US has shown it WILL negotiate with terrorists. Americans traveling abroad, pirates, etc. see dollar signs and another weakness of the US, thanks to Obama. I agree with the OP that Obama is trying to get his approval rating up, unfortunately it backfired on him. He arrived in Afghanistan on Memorial Day, another act to try to get the military's respect. He is so off base with his thinking, which I guess only proves he is narcissist. What I don't get is with all the illegal actions he has done, why don't they impeach the SOB?

Old 06-07-2014, 03:44 PM

62 posts, read 121,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
Our 5 for 1 prisoner swap never made sense to me, and after I learned that Bergdahl was almost assuredly a deserter, it made absolutely no sense whatsoever. And it's beyond me, how no one in the White House saw that such a swap would almost certainly encourage more kidnappings by the Taliban.

I think Americans really have to wonder what is going on with Obama and his staff. The competency level in the White House has seemed almost non existent at times, and this is one of those times.

Moreover, I can't believe Congress would have approved the swap, and I think that is the reason Obama knowingly bypassed them when he approved the swap -- as he is required to do by law.

I feel personally that it was the proper thing to do, before many were saying he was a deserter now lips are sealed shut, now that he is coming back stronger and healthier, the real truth shall come out! But, many prisoners are now micro-chipped, I'm going to find it quite interesting in reference to the 5 who were swapped out, considering the Taliban for over a 3 year silent talk period wanted many more, Moderator cut: off topic Bergdahl was more important than many of others (Civilians) are truly aware of. Besides, this will give many other POWS, the strength and determination to hold on and they too will soon be free! Metaphorically speaking of course The President will be Moderator cut: language if he doesn't, regardless of all his efforts which have made a big difference regarding morals and ethics! Moderator cut: off topic This gives hope to many other families out there whose husbands, wives, or family members in general will someday also be free to come home! Regardless No Soldier should be left behind, we lost many young men and women over bull-crap lies which have been coming out in droves Blood money!! Moderator cut: off topicHe is not required by law to do any such thing...He did it and there is not a Moderator cut: language thing anyone can do about it!! Those hating should go over there and stand with the Taliban similar mindsets, and perhaps all government employees appointed in office should have their children over there! I'm sure attitudes would differ greatly! I said what I wanted to say and could care less about anyone else throwing stones....Matter fact speaking of stones..."He that is without sin among you, Let him first cast a stone at her!" (St. John 8:v7)

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-07-2014 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Unless a thread is specifically about politics discussion of political parties is off topic.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:00 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,140,088 times
I think Americans really have to wonder what is going on with Obama and his staff. The competency level in the White House has seemed almost non existent at times, and this is one of those times.

Kissing up to muslims again. Obama could care less about this country, including the morons that voted him in.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:13 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,223,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I wondered if they were micro-chipped, and that would actually help us if they were.
Even if they weren't, it would be great sport to let them believe they were "tagged."

Weren't they given a thorough physical exam BEFORE release?

Did the physician check their prostate?
Wuh woh - - -

Old 06-07-2014, 08:38 PM

14,958 posts, read 12,170,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I believe Obama did it in hopes of raising his national approval ratings, looks like that backfired. The White House needs to know Americans aren't that stupid.
I've head a number of the talking heads say they believe Obama called for this exchange, basically to move along on the closing of Gitmo altogether. They opined that this move will make Obama's far left wing base happy, as they've wanted him to close Gitmo for some time now. It may also go along with his plans to pull the troops out of Afghanistan next year- just speculating.

But trading five of the worst masterminds of terrorism for an alleged traitor who abandoned his military post and his fellow soldiers of his own accord? IMO we'd be foolish to think that won't come back to bite Americans on the butt, as these freed terrorists will have the opportunities and the motives to plan, and execute more terrorist acts and carry out their jihad on American and western interests, perhaps even on American soil. And not just on the Americans, they'll have the opportunities and motives to go after their own people- the Afghans, the Pakistanis, anyone who's worked or fought along side of the American soldies in that region. As for the alternatives to neutralize these terrorists and keep them from their jihad missions, IMO they should have been shot as enemy combatants when they first arrived at Gitmo. Their actions are known.

As for Bergdahl, I see no motive for his fellow soldiers, including his commanding officer, to make false accusations about his desertion of his post, or his comments regarding the USA, the military, his desire to give up his American citizenship, or any of the other information that's been reported about him. So I'd tend to believe them, as well as the reports of his wishes to contact the Taliban. That makes him a traitor, not a POW- and reportedly the State Department was well aware of his status, as much as they are trying to make a hero out of the guy, and to discredit the soldiers who have spoken up about him. It's also a darn shame that as many as 12-13 soldiers had to die looking for this guy after he deserted.

So he's home. IMO his actions should be investigated, he should be tried for treason, and court martialed.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:25 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,384,689 times
1. Their is no Towel Bann. It is the same problems with street gangs. Their is no street gangs. The Towel Bann, is a fictionalization of the bigger problem in the Oriental regions.

2. When Cuba bay, closes the prisoners were not going to be shipped home, they are going to be prisons in other nations, the United States is going to pay off these nations to hold them ( which is old news ). The original idea was to let them come back into the US, as citizens, but apparently people do not want that............As with the German and the Japanese during WWII ( this is also old news ).

3. Send them back, and just give them limitations, and work rights. Send them back and give them free education and housing, just like the Germans and the Japanese ( mostly the Germans got this ). Send them back, already. The US could just treat them like gods as they did with the Germany people

But I guess we can't have it like that, because they are Moderator cut: inappropriate , who killed Luke Skywalkers mother ( this is a reference from Starwars ). That is the only reason not to send them back. I would just send them away and get them out of our hair.

Moderator cut: off topic

This a rebel thing, a bunch of people who are "freedom fighters" to many people, and it just makes the US looks like some messed up empire. Two wrongs do not make a right, send them back.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-09-2014 at 04:25 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 01:28 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,772,243 times
Obama is showing the American people that the gov't values one American life more than five Arabs. He learned that from the Israelis. Plus Obama has learned what a drone can do instead of putting feet on the ground. So if these 5 Arabs do become a future issue then the US will use drone technology as well as the Israelis do with surgical strikes.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:06 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,323,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Obama is showing the American people that the gov't values one American life more than five Arabs. He learned that from the Israelis. Plus Obama has learned what a drone can do instead of putting feet on the ground. So if these 5 Arabs do become a future issue then the US will use drone technology as well as the Israelis do with surgical strikes.
Is it one American life or the 6 that died looking for him or the hundreds or more of the Americans killed by the "Arabs" that we released, or is it the Americans that will die trying recapture those dang Arabs again per Chuck Hagel in yesterdays house briefing.

Or could all this be to defer attention away from the VA scandal !

Old 06-13-2014, 03:22 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,772,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Is it one American life or the 6 that died looking for him or the hundreds or more of the Americans killed by the "Arabs" that we released, or is it the Americans that will die trying recapture those dang Arabs again per Chuck Hagel in yesterdays house briefing.
IMHO recapturing is no longer an option. Its time to empty Guantánamo and try they all in Texas. Texas will know what to do with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates