Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:11 AM

48,502 posts, read 97,062,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
If not for Obama, the Taliban would never have thought to attack our soldiers. Apparently.
This one apparently was not taken in any attack; he walked off his post for whatever reason. That was conclusion of the military investigation. He had done it before which seems strange military didn't act then in court marshaling him since it was in combat zone. Also fact that he was dismissed from Coast Guard after serving just a few months ;yet allowed to enlist in Army. I think perhaps this is reason Army seems to want to hush it up and didn't interview his fellow soldiers then. As a veteran I am interested in why they couldn't vet a guy unfit to serve as that is dangerous in a combat zone as we have seen with 6 dead searching for him. and othesr wounded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 11:39 AM

I am sure once it works it will be done again as that is reason not to negotiate with terrorist no matter how you trying to get around it or spin it politically. In this case even more is coming to light not public knowledge on the person released for those five terrorist. The army itself has questions to answer on why they had unfit person dismissed by Coast Guard serving and endangering his fellow soldiers in a combat zone and even prior incident of abandoning his post. 6 dead demands a investigation and the original investigation showing his fellow solider serving with him not interviewed indicates a possible cover up by military in initial investigation. As a veteran I want answers from military on just why such a danger was not found earlier that cost 6 lives more than his actions; really.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:08 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,620,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
This one apparently was not taken in any attack; he walked off his post for whatever reason. That was conclusion of the military investigation. He had done it before which seems strange military didn't act then in court marshaling him since it was in combat zone. Also fact that he was dismissed from Coast Guard after serving just a few months ;yet allowed to enlist in Army. I think perhaps this is reason Army seems to want to hush it up and didn't interview his fellow soldiers then. As a veteran I am interested in why they couldn't vet a guy unfit to serve as that is dangerous in a combat zone as we have seen with 6 dead searching for him. and othesr wounded.
You mean that 6 people died in a warzone within several months of the guy's capture. It's not as though those six people necessarily had anything to do with searching for POWs. Nor does that have anything to do with the ridiculous notion that the Taliban would only try to capture American soldiers because they think they can trade them for prisoners, or the notion that the desire to recover American POWs hasn't been a core principal of the US for decades before this.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:00 PM

They contribute 6 deaths to search specific brought about by search for this guy. Other seals have reported missions brought about by search for him that they sustained wounded seals but no deaths. Its specific missions of search for this guy once he apparently walked off his post. Not the first time either. Only a fool thinks they took a care of this guy for five actually in some degree different than others without a plan to use him later.They even made sure to video much of it. This swap wasn't some new thing as two years ago congress turned down the same five for the same guy when asked under the same law. Of course now we are learning more details on this guys behavior in both coast guard and other incidents of leaving his post in a combat zone. He did not have POW status even in reality he was prisoner of illegal combatants. No different than journalist that had been taken earlier.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:14 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,521,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I believe Obama did it in hopes of raising his national approval ratings, looks like that backfired. The White House needs to know Americans aren't that stupid.
"A source close to the President" was quoted saying that the President and his staff were very surprised and confounded by the negative response to Bergdahl's recovery and the release of five gitmo "detainees". If that is true, then I think this administration has barricaded itself into a polarized, myopic, out-of-touch, little corner. The mid-term elections can't get here fast enough.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:37 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,620,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
"A source close to the President" was quoted saying that the President and his staff were very surprised and confounded by the negative response to Bergdahl's recovery and the release of five gitmo "detainees". If that is true, then I think this administration has barricaded itself into a polarized, myopic, out-of-touch, little corner. The mid-term elections can't get here fast enough.
I can't blame him; I'm also surprised that half the country apparently thinks American POWs should be killed based on hearsay.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:25 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,623,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Obama is showing the American people that the gov't values one American life more than five Arabs. He learned that from the Israelis. Plus Obama has learned what a drone can do instead of putting feet on the ground. So if these 5 Arabs do become a future issue then the US will use drone technology as well as the Israelis do with surgical strikes.

So now they'll kidnap more Americans and expect a 1:5 trade for each one. Nice precedent to set there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
This is amazing. We don't negotiate with terrorists....well we didn't used to negotiate with them. Apparently we do now.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-17-2014 at 03:30 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 03:01 PM

14,463 posts, read 14,424,681 times
The swap was the right thing to do.

Bergdahl may be a deserter, but until that is proven in a court of law he is innocent. As such, he is entitled to be treated as any other soldier.

A swap of prisoners was the only practical way to get Bergdahl released. We had no other means at our disposal to do so.

The people take prisoner were Taliban leaders, not Al Quaeda Leaders. The Taliban was the group who was governing Afghanistan at the time it was necessary for us to invade the country. The Taliban less represents a group of terrorists than it represents the former government of a country. We may not like the way these people governed Afghanistan when they were in charge, but they constituted a government not a band of terrorists.

According to authorities, evidence did not exist to permit a trial of the five men who were released. Our options were something like this, or keep them incarcerated without filing any criminal charges against them indefinitely.

Obama is far from a perfect President. However, he made a decision based on the facts that were available to him. The decision had pros and cons to it. I notice that many of the people posting here are those who have I seen constantly condemn him since I joined CDF in January of 2009. In other words, I'm not surprised. Its just more of the same that is beginning to sound like a broken record.

Like it or not, you better get used to Obama. He has another 2 years and seven months to go in office. Of course, when the next President is elected, you may not like her any better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates