Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:42 AM

684 posts, read 871,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:

http://time.com/2826442/taliban-kidnappings-bergdahl/

“It’s better to kidnap one person like Bergdahl than kidnapping hundreds of useless people,” the commander said, speaking by telephone on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to the media. “It has encouraged our people. Now everybody will work hard to capture such an important bird.”
Our 5 for 1 prisoner swap never made sense to me, and after I learned that Bergdahl was almost assuredly a deserter, it made absolutely no sense whatsoever. And it's beyond me, how no one in the White House saw that such a swap would almost certainly encourage more kidnappings by the Taliban.

I think Americans really have to wonder what is going on with Obama and his staff. The competency level in the White House has seemed almost non existent at times, and this is one of those times.

Moreover, I can't believe Congress would have approved the swap, and I think that is the reason Obama knowingly bypassed them when he approved the swap -- as he is required to do by law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 11:45 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,746,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
Our 5 for 1 prisoner swap never made sense to me, and after I learned that Bergdahl was almost assuredly a deserter, it made absolutely no sense whatsoever. And it's beyond me, how no one in the White House saw that such a swap would almost certainly encourage more kidnappings by the Taliban.

I think Americans really have to wonder what is going on with Obama and his staff. The competency level in the White House has seemed almost non existent at times, and this is one of those times.

Moreover, I can't believe Congress would have approved the swap, and I think that is the reason Obama knowingly bypassed them when he approved the swap -- as he is required to do by law.
I believe Obama did it in hopes of raising his national approval ratings, looks like that backfired. The White House needs to know Americans aren't that stupid.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:50 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,841,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I believe Obama did it in hopes of raising his national approval ratings, looks like that backfired. The White House needs to know Americans aren't that stupid.
Ahh... at least 49% or so aren't stupid.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:58 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,851,961 times
Of course it encourages more kidnapping. Plus, we now hear that the Taliban wanted many more than 5 for the swap, settled on 5, and they ended up getting $5-$6 million in addition. Talk about aiding and abetting the enemy (isn't that treason?).

And Obama smiles. Wake up, sheeple.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,851,961 times
Quote:

Obama did it to wipe yet another scandal of his (the V.A. scandal) off the news. He's the master of the head-fake: We're looking here with him while something else equally nefarious is going on there.

Then, while the swap story was fulminating, just before fleeing to Poland, he demanded $1.4 billiion from Congress to pay for his latest scheme --bringing in 60,000 Central American "children" by way of Mexico (they've already been herded onto military bases in CA and TX) to permanently change the demographics here.

What a guy.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,577,538 times
I don't know, prisoner swaps have happened before, this is nothing new so I can't say I really have an opinion about it. If you're really afraid of those 5 guys, don't be. There are still some out there who would do the job regardless if those guys were released or not so I find the outrage over these 5 to be contrived.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:16 PM

9,525 posts, read 9,848,359 times
This is nothing new. Israel has had this problem for a long time:

Quote:
"Israel has turned the problems of kidnapping into a weapon against itself. Paying great prices for kidnappings teaches the other side to increase its kidnappings,"
Winograd member: Israel created kidnapping weapon - Israel News, Ynetnews

Old 06-05-2014, 12:17 PM

326 posts, read 499,026 times
Quote:
i'm pretty sure they knew this would be a storm.

but there's two other issues: 1) the conflict is ending and the prisoners all have to be dealt with sooner or later; 2) bergdahl's health was a concern.

deserter or not, at some point he has to come home.

and whatever the challenges of war, coming home, returning a society to peace, returning solider to civilian life, moving on--those are all things we have to do as a society and a culture. but it seems like we have such a militarized culture and society that no one wants to move on.

the war is ending and now everyone has to decide how to live post-war.

"'Honor the gods, Achilles; pity him.
Think of your father; I'm more pitiful;
I've suffered what no other mortal has,
I've kissed the hand of one who killed my children.'
He spoke, and stirred Achilles' grief to tears;
He gently pushed the old man's hand away.
They both remembered; Priam wept for Hector,
Sitting crouched before Achilles' feet.
Achilles mourned his father, then again
Patroculs, and their mourning stirred the house."

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-05-2014 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: implied inappropriate language

Old 06-05-2014, 03:58 PM

24,539 posts, read 17,284,948 times
Well Obama did promise to close Gitmo like 5 years ago so maybe this is his way of doing it? No one else wants these terrorists so why not send them back to where our guys worked so hard and lost not only blood but limbs and lives in trying to arrest them.
I heard a few of these 5 released were wanted by the UN for crimes against humanity.
They are not nice people and they will go back to fight and kill.
The Taliban have a terrible human rights record. They usually kill their captives by cutting off heads. They have utter disdain for women and treat them like slaves. They are so radical in their thinking that they will kill without care. The Taliban has been a problem for decades now even though they are more or less muslim mercenaries from the mountains. Now with the 5 prisoner to one traitor swap our idiot president has elevated them to a higher status on the world stage.
The DEMS say the REPS. wage a war on women? The Taliban really do. If you happen to be gay the Taliban kill you. If you are Christian they kill you. These are the leaders that Obama sent back.
Americans have always been a target and now even more so.
Obama said in a speech that he wouldn't leave anyone in uniform out there.... so the people at Benghazi who were not wearing fatigues were allowed to die?
This swap was designed to cover up the VA scandal and it has. How can anyone in the military not question what they are doing and why when their commander in chief does stupid things like this.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:59 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,608,381 times
If not for Obama, the Taliban would never have thought to attack our soldiers. Apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates