Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:32 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times

Advertisements

Do you think the world would be a better place if everyone operated under the assumption that we're all 'good' deep down? As opposed to thinking some are evil to the bone, or irredeemably evil? Why or why not?

Through history, much violence and evil has been motivated by so-called 'righteous anger' against an objection of fear or loathing. While I'm not denying evil exists, do we tend to personalise evil more than we should, instead of seeing it more like a disease? What if we saw evil people more as victims as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 11:57 PM

336 posts, read 589,820 times
Criminals would not get enough punishments for breaking the law.

Offenders would get away with things more often rather than get disciplined for incidents.

We would end up forgiving people too easily, which might encourage bad behavior if people know they are more likely to get away with it or if it's less likely to result in harsh consequences.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:04 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
Criminals would not get enough punishments for breaking the law.

Offenders would get away with things more often rather than get disciplined for incidents.

We would end up forgiving people too easily, which might encourage bad behavior if people know they are more likely to get away with it or if it's less likely to result in harsh consequences.
Well, so you think that someone who is treated with nothing but kindness will still do all of this? Maybe some would, but I don't think most would. It would be an interesting experiment. If we treated even the worst with nothing but goodness and kindness, to see if things would improve. I wouldn't be surprised if they would. Practised a large scale 'turning the other cheek.'

Old 06-17-2014, 03:31 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Do you think the world would be a better place if everyone operated under the assumption that we're all 'good' deep down? As opposed to thinking some are evil to the bone, or irredeemably evil? Why or why not?

Through history, much violence and evil has been motivated by so-called 'righteous anger' against an objection of fear or loathing. While I'm not denying evil exists, do we tend to personalise evil more than we should, instead of seeing it more like a disease? What if we saw evil people more as victims as well?

I try and treat everyone with respect and trust until they give me a reason to not give them any respect or trust.

then I treat them like dirt.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:21 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,630 times
How far down do I have to dig to find the good? I would consider a good person some one that I can trust. I have only found 4 people in my life that I can trust. All four are long time friends.

Dr Greg House on the TV show House always says that "everybody lies". My experience is that this is true.

I always give people the benefit of the doubt, but if I see that I can not trust them, I permanently put them on my "have no respect for" list.

"Would the world be a better place if we treated every one as if they had good in them", NO. It would be a for worse place to live. I believe that there are souls with zero good in them and if we treated them as if they had good in them they would take advantage and ruin every ones life!

Old 06-17-2014, 08:19 AM

93 posts, read 93,646 times
My current opinion is that a person does not start innately good or evil, we start neutral and that it's what we do most of, either good actions or evil actions, that determines our alignment, and what we do is influenced by what we know or believe.

So if a person had the right kind of knowledge, they would make the right kind of decisions that lead to the right kind of 'good' behavior and actions. a person lacking the right kind of knowledge would resort to beliefs, which can very often lead to making bad decisions that lead to wrong behavior and actions.

I think that if bad acting people were offered the right education and were shown good examples from others to follow, the world would be a much better place. but if all they were given was punishment and if all the examples they were shown from others were of hatred or disrespect, they would most likely continue to make bad decisions that affect the world around them.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
No, I don't believe it would.

The fact that humans are predators, is undeniable. It is in our very natural state that we lie, push, steal, kill, and do everything that humans find down right distasteful.

Everyone isn't good deep down, in fact it is the opposite. Deep down, we are all killers. Killing may be good or bad, depending on which side of the bullet you are on, but we are killers. For us to move beyond our impression of evil when we meet people, it would mean acceptance of some basic human behaviors which society has deemed inappropriate.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:37 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
I like to think that all people are good and I give everyone equal respect that is until that trust/ respect is violated then that is it.
There are many good folk out there but in the end I think you will find that more and more of them don't give a toot about anyone else but themselves and they will do anything to get ahead.
In America I think the Obama bunch and his loyal Democrats like to think that everyone is good and will do the right thing but we don't live in a Star Trek world. For example the 20 million illegals given amnesty will start paying taxes and vote democrat. The same goes for the 5 terrorists let go but they promised they wouldn't go back to the fight...
It is a nice trait to see the good in people but the world is not a nice place.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:38 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
OP, I have a book for you to read. Actually, it's one of my books of the lifetime.
Master and Margarita, by Bulgakov. It's 2 story lines. One is Satan's visit to Moscow and His ball to his cohorts there, given once every 100 years.
2nd story line is story of Yeshua Ga Notsri, aka Jesus. Very interesting point of view on Jesus and origins of Christianity.
Anyway. Even after he was hurt by centurion Mark, Yeshua calls him a "good man". Pilate, amuzed by this, asked Yeshua why he did so.
Yeshua responded: "There are no bad people. Centurion is simply very unhappy person".

Old 06-17-2014, 05:43 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

We could be all good deep down, but what's the difference if we are inherently good if our behavior is bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates