Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:27 AM

13,656 posts, read 10,052,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I bet most of us have given money or goods to homeless people. That, however, is not the issue here.

Sure, "Vet gets fired for giving homeless man a muffin" sounds better than "Cracker Barrel fires employee for giving away food for the sixth time," but it doesn't represent the truth. He had other infractions, and CB was well within their right to fire him. Apparently, the employee doesn't want to follow rules or doesn't think they should apply to him. He's not the boss.

BTW, I know this is all the rage today, but his being a veteran does not entitle him to flout the rules of his employer. We're a military family, and I'm sick and tired of seeing "veteran" in every story as if it's a qualifier. Veterans are not (and have no desire to be) the latest victim class in this country.
I'd have viewed the describing him as a veteran as setting the scene.

I see him as being from a generation that cared, and he did state, when talking about the rules; " I completely forgot about it."

Are these not just actions that an elderly person may take, and not think a second thought about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 11:31 AM

684 posts, read 871,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I bet most of us have given money or goods to homeless people. That, however, is not the issue here.

Sure, "Vet gets fired for giving homeless man a muffin" sounds better than "Cracker Barrel fires employee for giving away food for the sixth time," but it doesn't represent the truth. He had other infractions, and CB was well within their right to fire him. Apparently, the employee doesn't want to follow rules or doesn't think they should apply to him. He's not the boss.

BTW, I know this is all the rage today, but his being a veteran does not entitle him to flout the rules of his employer. We're a military family, and I'm sick and tired of seeing "veteran" in every story as if it's a qualifier. Veterans are not (and have no desire to be) the latest victim class in this country.

The company had the right to fire him. Joe does not dispute that nor is anyone else disputing that.

The company also had the power to keep Joe.

I might be wrong, but I highly suspect that right now the upper echelons of Cracker Barrel's management wishes that the GM who fired Joe had not done so.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:42 AM

362 posts, read 560,615 times
It amazes me that people are amazes when corporate employers of low wage service jobs treat their employees like garbage. I worked for Cracker Barrel, only briefly, because I would not put up with the demeaning way their managers treated me and my coworkers. Yeah, I was going to be written up for wearing brown socks to work, until I produced the handout given out during training that said it was "approved" work attire.

The managers are mostly maroons, so I wonder what was on his list of other violations.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:46 AM

336 posts, read 590,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
No raindrop ever considers itself to be responsible for the flood. However, this vet had put in three quality years and was only guilty of but a few raindrop equivalent happenings, to which he admitted.

Have you never used a company's expensive IT resources system on a short personal matter and/or do you not have or do you not use on your personal behalf anything that came from a company that employed you, such as: pens, pencils, paper, folders, etc..

Do you always reimburse a company when you use their resources on your behalf?

How little is too little?
The company is not selling those items that employees use.

If they are selling something that you're using, they are marked for store use or business use and tracked on their inventory.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
The company is not selling those items that employees use.

If they are selling something that you're using, they are marked for store use or business use and tracked on their inventory.

A company has to pay to replace the items I mentioned (paper, pens et al) when they are used by a person for for non-company purposes, just as Cracker Barrel has to pay to replace the corn muffin mix that Joe ended up giving away to a homeless man.

Both will impact a company's bottom line (at a penny level).

How many raindrops make a flood?

Old 06-27-2014, 12:07 PM

336 posts, read 590,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
A company has to pay to replace the items I mentioned (paper, pens et al) when they are used by a person for for non-company purposes, just as Cracker Barrel has to pay to replace the corn muffin mix that Joe ended up giving away to a homeless man.

Both will impact a company's bottom line (at a penny level).

If you're using pens and paper, you're at least using it to get some work done.

The vet giving away the muffin doesn't get any work done with that.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:10 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,115,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo View Post
His firing wasn't the result of this single incident; he had been written up numerous times before this. The only reason this article has gained any traction is that he's an elderly military veteran... if this had been a high school student in some other generic town, this wouldn't even have made the local paper.

I agree that managers should use discretion, and in this case, they did. What jobs have you all had where they'd let you stay on after being written up five times? I feel bad for the guy, but I don't find this situation too outrageous.

Also, I can't condone the type of internet psuedo-vigilantism that results from this sort of thing. You're entitled to your opinions, but ruining reviews for a place you've never been to with your opinions on ethics doesn't help anyone.

exactly. And the fact that he is a vet should not even come into play.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
If you're using pens and paper, you're at least using it to get some work done.

The vet giving away the muffin doesn't get any work done with that.
A person getting work done on personal matters (not company matters) by using a company's resources will still cost a company in the same way that it will cost Cracker Barrel to replace the corn muffin mix that Joe gave away to a homeless man.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:24 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,185,595 times
^ The amount of abject waste that occurs in corporate America to the tune of billions each year is simply staggering. There are botched executive decisions that cost corporations millions per day. Yet, the outgoing ****-ups are rewarded with golden parachutes. This guy gave a hungry, homeless man a 10 cent muffin.

As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:38 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,185,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo View Post
His firing wasn't the result of this single incident; he had been written up numerous times before this. The only reason this article has gained any traction is that he's an elderly military veteran... if this had been a high school student in some other generic town, this wouldn't even have made the local paper.
Exactly twice... for having a fountain drink and paying for someone's coffee. What a dispicable character!

Well, you see, the man has earned the respect that is due to him. I'll let you figure the rest out.

Quote:
I agree that managers should use discretion, and in this case, they did. What jobs have you all had where they'd let you stay on after being written up five times? I feel bad for the guy, but I don't find this situation too outrageous.
You must be a bean counter... all that matters is the numbers, right? Let's not for a minute consider the strength of content.

Quote:
Also, I can't condone the type of internet psuedo-vigilantism that results from this sort of thing. You're entitled to your opinions, but ruining reviews for a place you've never been to with your opinions on ethics doesn't help anyone.
Neither does giving a glowing defense of a place you've never been to -- which is exactly what people like you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates