Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 08:42 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times

Advertisements

shout outs to those who served are nice, but not the be all end all thing.
I think if nothing else, we need to make better progress to resolve the VA backlog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 08:56 AM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Yeah, well, I do think that every time I turn on the new there is yet another solider surprising a spouse/child with their homecoming. When I start to get tired of it, I think 1) Isn't it nice to have some positive/joyful news for a change? and 2) We're making up for lost time -- decades of ignoring their service and sacrifice. 3) So much rather see a living soldier honored than weeping at flag draped coffins returning home.
It's not that I don't enjoy reading and seeing good things about the military and personal inspirational story about the troops and veterans. I agree it's better than totally ignoring them. But it doesn't need to be done 24/7.

But I think what's annoying me is the way the concept of thanking the troops has been cheapened and overdone by the media and society. Thanking the troops has become just another sound bite with no depth behind it. As alluded to by the OP, it's one thing to talk about thanking the troops, and another to truly show your appreciation.

I remember there was some website a while back where you could send electronic messages thanking the troops. I was thinking, really?

I've sent care packages myself to soldiers overseas.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:47 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,552 times
Default Holidays About "The Troops"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's not that I don't enjoy reading and seeing good things about the military and personal inspirational story about the troops and veterans. I agree it's better than totally ignoring them. But it doesn't need to be done 24/7.

But I think what's annoying me is the way the concept of thanking the troops has been cheapened and overdone by the media and society. Thanking the troops has become just another sound bite with no depth behind it. As alluded to by the OP, it's one thing to talk about thanking the troops, and another to truly show your appreciation.

I remember there was some website a while back where you could send electronic messages thanking the troops. I was thinking, really?

So are you saying that the troops don't need to protect us 24/7?

Old 07-05-2014, 09:59 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,848 times
Quote:

I don't see this being done 24/7. Besides even if it were done on every holiday (off the top of my head never seen it for Halloween or valentines) that still would not be 24/7.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:06 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Wasn't sure where to put this.

I appreciate and respect those who have served and those who are serving. However, we already have two national holidays devoted to honoring our veterans and those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in service of the United States.

My question is THIS...why are peoples' Instagrams, Twitter feeds, and Facebook timelines full of "thank a soldier" memes and "god bless our troops" hashtags?

Have people forgotten what these holidays are supposed to be about? And if you really give a chit about the troops, Facebook "likes" and tweets don't do ANYTHING for them. Try striking up a correspondence with a soldier without a family (they DO exist), assemble a care package, volunteer with an organization that assists veterans/military families, etc. I just wish people would stop hijacking every freaking holiday and making it about the troops. I find it mealy-mouthed, glib, and irritating. Put up or shut up.
I agree with this. Everyday seems to be "Veterans Day". In my area the radio and television news channels hype up the military on a constant basis. They have radio deejays that play patriotic songs and then a PSA that says "Thank our troops". Local car dealerships have sales on a regular basis to "thank our troops". It's just constant and annoying.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:53 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,729,447 times
Quote:
I'm glad the OP brought this up, because that's the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw online a website listing all the ways you can thank the troops for the fourth of July.

It's like every little thing is thank the troops. Halloween, thank the troops. Valentine's Day, thank the troops. Mother's day....

You get the picture.

This non stop butt kissing, hero worship, and adulation of those who put on the military uniform is wearing thin. Where's the day we thank our police officers or fire fighters, they also serve to protect us (though not so much at times).

And I'm a military veteran myself (Navy and reserves).
I wish I could give this multiple rep points.

I am old enough to know people over the course of my life from WWII, Vietnam, Grenada, Gulf War I and Gulf War II. It wasnt until 9/11 that we suddenly have to fall all over ourselves thanking the military for their service. Now everything is a "tribute to our troops"

I dont want to take anything away from any serviceman (because they did it and I didnt) but if I am going to hero worship someone it is going to be a WWII or Vietnam vet who didnt have a choice but to serve.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:16 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I wish I could give this multiple rep points.

I am old enough to know people over the course of my life from WWII, Vietnam, Grenada, Gulf War I and Gulf War II. It wasnt until 9/11 that we suddenly have to fall all over ourselves thanking the military for their service. Now everything is a "tribute to our troops"

Actually, it started after the first Gulf War. I think it's still Boomer guilt over the treatment of Vietnam vets--and at the time of the Gulf War it was widely recognized as such.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:15 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,376,135 times
I'm an Army veteran and I've never required to be 'thanked for my service', and I don't feel that I'm owed anything for it. But if people feel the need to say thanks for your service, that's fine... as long as they don't go overboard about it. Then it gets embarrassing. I think in recent years it's become a fad and maybe a bit overdone, but that's ok. I'd rather see it that way than the way peoples attitudes were back when I was in (1967-1970), when it wasn't exactly the popular thing to do being in uniform. So I'm fine with it.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Actually, it started after the first Gulf War. I think it's still Boomer guilt over the treatment of Vietnam vets--and at the time of the Gulf War it was widely recognized as such.
That's a good point, and I think that is part of it plus the horror of 9/11 and the powerlessness and grief a lot of Americans felt which was channeled into aggressive military worship that has since become part of the culture.

A good friend of mine is an Army veteran and I make sure to give him a card and a gift certificate to his favorite store on Veterans Day, which he appreciates. Every year when the Girl Scouts sell cookies, I buy a half dozen boxes for the troops. I don't buy them for myself; you can pay for them right there and the boxes go straight overseas. I donate to organizations that help veterans and their families. I've sent care packages to complete strangers...soldiers who either do not have close relatives or who are estranged from their families, and have cherished the thank-you notes I've received in return. I don't volunteer with veterans, but DFW doesn't have a huge military presence and I haven't seen many active organizations around here that do it. (I do volunteer with animal rescues.)

Old 07-05-2014, 04:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I get what people are saying here. It's mostly just white noise to me now, even online. Everything get's that way these days because there are too many sources flying at us 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates