Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:04 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times

Advertisements

Wasn't sure where to put this.

I appreciate and respect those who have served and those who are serving. However, we already have two national holidays devoted to honoring our veterans and those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in service of the United States.

My question is THIS...why are peoples' Instagrams, Twitter feeds, and Facebook timelines full of "thank a soldier" memes and "god bless our troops" hashtags?

Have people forgotten what these holidays are supposed to be about? And if you really give a chit about the troops, Facebook "likes" and tweets don't do ANYTHING for them. Try striking up a correspondence with a soldier without a family (they DO exist), assemble a care package, volunteer with an organization that assists veterans/military families, etc. I just wish people would stop hijacking every freaking holiday and making it about the troops. I find it mealy-mouthed, glib, and irritating. Put up or shut up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 06:06 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

I appreciate and respect those who have served and those who are serving. However, we already have two national holidays devoted to honoring our veterans and those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in service of the United States.

My question is THIS...why are peoples' Instagrams, Twitter feeds, and Facebook timelines full of "thank a soldier" memes and "god bless our troops" hashtags?

Have people forgotten what these holidays are supposed to be about? And if you really give a chit about the troops, Facebook "likes" and tweets don't do ANYTHING for them. Try striking up a correspondence with a soldier without a family (they DO exist), assemble a care package, volunteer with an organization that assists veterans/military families, etc. I just wish people would stop hijacking every freaking holiday and making it about the troops. I find it mealy-mouthed, glib, and irritating.
The only holiday specifically for honoring veterans is Veterans' Day.

Armed Forces Day is to honor those currently serving--but it's not actually a holiday.

Memorial Day is a holiday to honor those who died in combat.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:06 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,707 times
Quote:

Have people forgotten what these holidays are supposed to be about? And if you really give a chit about the troops, Facebook "likes" and tweets don't do ANYTHING for them. Try striking up a correspondence with a soldier without a family (they DO exist), assemble a care package, volunteer with an organization that assists veterans/military families, etc. I just wish people would stop hijacking every freaking holiday and making it about the troops. I find it mealy-mouthed, glib, and irritating. Put up or shut up.
Ummm.... good question? Do YOU remember what THIS holiday is supposed to be about?

Old 07-04-2014, 06:12 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
Ummm.... good question? Do YOU remember what THIS holiday is supposed to be about?
It's supposed to be about anti-British memes, blowing up fireworks, and overconsumption of hot dogs and salty snacks, right?

OH WAIT, no.

Today is when we observe the adoption by the Continental Congress of the Declaration of Independence from Great Britain. Funny that some founding fathers thought that July 2nd would be regarded as a historic day due to the adoption of the Lee Resolution, which is when the legal separation of our two nations occurred.

Yeah, I slept through history class.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:20 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,628 times
Quote:

A.) The troops are who fought for our Independence.....and you do know its Independence day right?

B.) There are troops overseas today who are not able to spend time with their family because of their sacrifice.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:37 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:

I agree with that sentiment. While I don't see all of the stuff that you've encountered--I refuse to participate--it would annoy me. I consider Independence Day a military holiday. If some tries to tell me that Halloween is, I've got something to say to them.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:33 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,601,044 times
Guilt, I think we're guilty, and we should be, we're a spoiled country that can't take care of ourselves because we're greedy. I feel guilty right now.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:43 AM

29,511 posts, read 22,636,772 times
I'm glad the OP brought this up, because that's the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw online a website listing all the ways you can thank the troops for the fourth of July.

It's like every little thing is thank the troops. Halloween, thank the troops. Valentine's Day, thank the troops. Mother's day....

You get the picture.

This non stop butt kissing, hero worship, and adulation of those who put on the military uniform is wearing thin. Where's the day we thank our police officers or fire fighters, they also serve to protect us (though not so much at times).

And I'm a military veteran myself (Navy and reserves).

Old 07-05-2014, 02:37 AM

18,128 posts, read 25,275,129 times
I'm still waiting for "Freedom Day" to celebrate that we don't have slavery anymore
the closest thing we have to that is "Juneteenth" in the South
and I'm also waiting for "Democracy Day" which would be a day off for everybody to go to vote and celebrate our democracy.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:21 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,834 times
We have quite a few holidays that are patriotic holidays -- and you can't get much more patriotic than putting on a uniform and serving your country. Those of us who don't thank those who do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's like every little thing is thank the troops. Halloween, thank the troops. Valentine's Day, thank the troops. Mother's day....
Yeah, well, I do think that every time I turn on the new there is yet another solider surprising a spouse/child with their homecoming. When I start to get tired of it, I think 1) Isn't it nice to have some positive/joyful news for a change? and 2) We're making up for lost time -- decades of ignoring their service and sacrifice. 3) So much rather see a living soldier honored than weeping at flag draped coffins returning home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates