Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:07 AM

684 posts, read 868,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:

"In fact, across the globe, there are about one million square kilometres more sea ice than 35 years ago, which is when satellite measurements began."

It's politics not science that is driving the climate change mania: UN predictions subject of ridicule because of their stunning failure | Mail Online

Such a massive increase in global sea ice might well indicate that an ice age is upon us. It's hard for me to understand how such a massive amount of sea ice could have formed without it being a clear indicator of the start of an ice age.

Back in the seventies, scientists were worried that man-made pollution would block out rays from the sun that heat the earth. In light of the massive global sea ice increase, I think it is fair to consider that they were right.

Is anyone else surprised besides me?

Old 07-06-2014, 10:13 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,312 times
I've never heard of this, and I'd argue that 95% of climate change scientists agree across the board that the temperature of the earth is warming at an alarming rate, which is why we're seeing trends of unprecedented bouts of severe weather. Consider the source--the Daily Mail is a tabloid rag. I would suggest looking through peer-reviewed articles on Google Scholar.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:18 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post

It's politics not science that is driving the climate change mania: UN predictions subject of ridicule because of their stunning failure | Mail Online

Such a massive increase in global sea ice might well indicate that an ice age is upon us. It's hard for me to understand how such a massive amount of sea ice could have formed without it being a clear indicator of the start of an ice age.

Back in the seventies, scientists were worried that man-made pollution would block out rays from the sun that heat the earth. In light of the massive global sea ice increase, I think it is fair to consider that they were right.

The problem is looking at short term trends and short term results and thinking they represent the long term.

I personally believe we are headed into another ice age (or more properly, another glacial period) if only because we are at the point in the polar precession cycle where we can expect cooling. Add to that minimal sunspot activity, meaning a reduction in solar radiant output, and you have the basis for the conjecture.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I've never heard of this, and I'd argue that 95% of climate change scientists agree across the board that the temperature of the earth is warming at an alarming rate, which is why we're seeing trends of unprecedented bouts of severe weather. Consider the source--the Daily Mail is a tabloid rag. I would suggest looking through peer-reviewed articles on Google Scholar.
Hmmmm ... I thought that number was 97% That's what most of the AGW drones say all the time all throughout any of these AGW threads!

Also, I think you meant to say "climate change so called scientists". It isnt science if you cant validate through experiment. And it sure isnt science if you come to a conclusion, then declare there can be no argument because the science is settled.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:14 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,196 times
The daily mail is a tabloid, not a scientific paper. They have as much authority on global warming as teen vogue does on carbon dating. I looked through article for direct links/references to the data, and found none. Rather than relying on a daily mail to interpret the data for you, please refer to the primary source itself. Then we can have a real discussion.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:57 PM

191 posts, read 516,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post

This article is FALSE! 100% Baloney! Greenland is MELTING EVERY SINGLE DAY at an alarming rate never seen before. The western side of Antarctica is Melting. Greenhouse gases from corporations like Monsanto and our fossil fuel companies, not to mention our cars, have been eliminating our ozone layer thus heating up the entire plant. This is happening all over the world. WAKE UP, stop relying on the Enquire, Comic books, for your news.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:55 AM

149 posts, read 198,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Ann View Post
Greenhouse gases from corporations like Monsanto...
WHAT?

Are you blaming Monsanto for all the green house gasses generated from any farming related activity?

As the son of a farmer, I can tell you that due to GMOs my father spends about half as much on fuel for tractors because he can no-till.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:25 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,568 times
Cows farts cause global warming. Eat more meat to stop global warming.

I just posted that on the internet, and as we all know, everything on the internet must be true.

If you don't believe me, I don't blame you. That was my point. Just because something is posted online or written in a magazine doesn't make it a fact. Question the source data instead of relying on others. Listen to them for their opinions, but if the source data doesn't back it up, then treat it as reliable as you would treat my cow comment.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
This article is FALSE! 100% Baloney! Greenland is MELTING EVERY SINGLE DAY at an alarming rate never seen before. The western side of Antarctica is Melting. Greenhouse gases from corporations like Monsanto and our fossil fuel companies, not to mention our cars, have been eliminating our ozone layer thus heating up the entire plant. This is happening all over the world. WAKE UP, stop relying on the Enquire, Comic books, for your news.
With all due respect, you display the usual AGW True Believer behavior. You make assertions taken out of context, and treat them as Biblical Truth.

The Greenland ice cap is melting as a result of warming that has occurred since the end of the Little Ice Age. I should add to my list of things to research is the status of the Greenland cap today versus what it was during the medieval warming period. Sigh ... its a lot of work refuting all the nonsense that the AGW drones throw out there.

Point is, the whole AGW argument is based upon two things: computer models, and the correlation of CO2 levels to temperature rises over the last 150 years or so. As a reminder, correlation does not indicate causality.

AGW people tend to ignore the Little Ice age and they tend to dismiss the effects of increased and decreased solar radiant output. Solar output has increased since the end of the Little Ice Age. It is in fact the real reason the Little Ice Age ended.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:24 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Quote:
Umm.. no, that article is true.

Poles apart: Arctic sea ice has shrunk but Antarctic sea ice has grown

http://www.washingtonpost.com/postev...eet-expanding/

What the article does NOT do is give all the facts. Which the above two do a better job of.

The problem with Climate change hoopla is that the scientists are apparently all morons or something. Just once, put out a prediction that is correct. Or even close to being correct.

Let's just pick on Al Gore because he's the easiest target. EDITORIAL: Al Gore, soothsayer - Washington Times

The fact that all these people are wrong in the details doesn't mean that they're wrong overall.. But.. If you constantly yell "The sky is falling" and it doesn't happen.. People are going to stop listening to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates