Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:25 PM

51,721 posts, read 26,011,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
Yes, you can eat on a budget and eat well. But, you HAVE to cook, there is no way around it.
You nailed it.

Fortunately, cooking can be a lot healthier than eating prepared meals. Two birds. One stone.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:36 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,685,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What are you talking about?

No one is judging or attacking very poor people. Some people can't avail themselves of the options we've discussed here. Others can.

For years, I work with people with very limited income. All but the homeless have TVs and cell phones. If they wanted a crock pot or a freezer, they'd have one. I know several older women on extremely limited incomes who have small chest freezers. I've met a lot of low income women who cook from scratch. Many have small gardens. People are a lot more resourceful than you give them credit.

Somebody is being "willfully ignorant" but I don't think it's the people sharing their tips and techniques for eating healthy on a limited budget.

Which, after all, is the topic of this thread.
The homeless in Redding do have phones. Nicer phones than I have. Most of the homeless here are actually on SSI or SSDI, and make as much or more than I do per month. They choose not to use their income on housing. But, they have smart phones. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Whole chickens are around 11$ to 15$ (depending on size)....around 3.50$ a pound. I can't imagine getting five or six family meals out of a 2 pound bird.
Where on earth do you live?

I bet I could find a cheaper meat option for you no matter where you live. Venison? Rabbit?

I used to live in the boonies in WA state and my husband regularly hunted. Ground venison makes great spaghetti sauce.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:41 PM

510 posts, read 719,677 times
Fortunately there are more and more sources of healthy produce as most cities now have a farmer's market, even more than one. Many medical centers (at least here in Michigan) have days when they sell produce as does the VA (along with cake and doughnuts). Where I live if you are on food stamps they go twice as far when used for produce. Maybe not absolutely everywhere in the US, but there are lots more places to healthy food.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:55 PM

510 posts, read 719,677 times
Vegetarianism a scam? How many times have you heard about the "cancer fighting" compounds in tomatoes, blueberries, or any of a dozen different fruits and vegetables? I don't know that vegetarians are necessarily always healthier, but I challenge you to find reported risks in eating too many fruits, grains and veggies. They seldom contain fat (except "good" fat), more fiber, less calories, more vitamins and minerals. Animals fats are a whole different story. And humans (even adult males) only need about 60 grams of protein a day. That's only a few ounces.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:55 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,736,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The homeless in Redding do have phones. Nicer phones than I have. Most of the homeless here are actually on SSI or SSDI, and make as much or more than I do per month. They choose not to use their income on housing. But, they have smart phones. Go figure.

I bet I could find a cheaper meat option for you no matter where you live. Venison? Rabbit?

I used to live in the boonies in WA state and my husband regularly hunted. Ground venison makes great spaghetti sauce.
We do not hunt...so wild game is not on our menu...and it certainly isn't something you find at the local grocery.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:56 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,757,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What are you talking about?

No one is judging or attacking very poor people. Some people can't avail themselves of the options we've discussed here. Others can.

For years, I work with people with very limited income. All but the homeless have TVs and cell phones. If they wanted a crock pot or a freezer, they'd have one. I know several older women on extremely limited incomes who have small chest freezers. I've met a lot of low income women who cook from scratch. Many have small gardens. People are a lot more resourceful than you give them credit.

Somebody is being "willfully ignorant" but I don't think it's the people sharing their tips and techniques for eating healthy on a limited budget.

Which, after all, is the topic of this thread.
I'm merely saying that in order for the poor (which means "people with almost no options" in my opinion) to be able to take advantage of what's being suggested here, OTHER things have to change first.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that sleeping on the streets is a luxury?

Quote:
I could ask you the same.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Your definition of a poor person is someone who can go to McDonalds. Your definition of someone too busy, is someone with transportation to a store and McDonalds, and who is working with some income.

All of these answers more than meet that criteria.
No, my definition of poor is someone with very few options. And clearly some in here feel that the poor have the same options they do. That's erroneous thinking.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,018,178 times
Quote:
Why should that be surprising? When did poor people ever have it as easy as rich people? Anywhere in the world? In any era?
You didn't understand my intent. I am not saying poor people have it easy. We have high expectations for poor people than we have for ourselves. You can hop over to any one of the forums, and talks of food stamps quickly talk about how we should disallow the purchase of soda/junk food on food stamps. As if people on food stamps should be smarter shoppers than the rest of us.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,385,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Whole chickens are around 11$ to 15$ (depending on size)....around 3.50$ a pound. I can't imagine getting five or six family meals out of a 2 pound bird.
Not around here. I never pay more than about $6 for a whole chicken.

And I use meat as "enhancement" - not as the main part of the meal. For instance, chicken spaghetti - it's not mostly chicken - in fact, you can go light on the chicken and still have the flavor, especially if you boil the pasta in the chicken broth. Chicken and dumplings - same thing. You can make a TON of chicken and dumplings without actually using a whole lot of chicken. Stir fry - once again, go light on the chicken. Chicken noodle soup - same thing. Heavy on the veggies and broth, light on the chicken.

I've done it - countless times. And of course it depends on the size of your family. For a family of four, I could get about four meals from one chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates