Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 11:59 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macluffy View Post
LOL no I don't think you are being insensitive. People ARE fatter nowadays. I am shocked at how huge people have gotten just in the past 15 years. When I was a tyke in middle school, the "fat kids" were rare and often made fun of- now EVERY kid is obese. I see them walking home from school in my neighborhood- I can't believe it! SO many overweight children and adults!

Now, look at the replies to your comment- SO defensive.

I am overweight. I can speak with impunity I think. Gluttony is a SIN. Deal with it. It is. Over-eating is not a virtue. Black is not white. Up is not down.

In answer to your post, the reason why fat people claim thyroid issues is they will find excuses for over eating. I have heard it all "low metabolism" "Hashimoto's disease" and on and on.

Ask any physician- if you consume more calories than you require, those calories will be stored as fat- plain simple truth.

Food is cheap in America. Very cheap. We all are on our smart phones and video games and are sedentary way too much. Everything is remote control, in fact right now as I type I am sitting in front of a glowing screen. The LESS we are in front of glowing screens the better.
Trash food is super cheap in the U.S.! The U.S. does that very well. In almost every fast food restaurant there is at least one $1 item. If the issue is that one has little or almost no money, if it's filling one's stomach and if it's getting calories no matter what they are, there's nothing like the U.S. Fast food here is king and cheap. Bad food in supermarkets is also pretty cheap.

Good, high quality restaurants are expensive in the U.S. High quality food in supermarkets is also expensive. Walking through the produce department is a bit scary. High quality proteins in the U.S. are costly.

Moderator note: This starting post, and the first couple of pages, were transferred over from the middle of another thread on a different related topic. The subject generated interest and unintentionally took the thread off in another direction than the original topic. It is not a typical starting post because it was a response to another post in what is now another thread.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-10-2014 at 05:25 AM..

Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,691,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Trash food is super cheap in the U.S.! The U.S. does that very well. In almost every fast food restaurant there is at least one $1 item. If the issue is that one has little or almost no money, if it's filling one's stomach and if it's getting calories no matter what they are, there's nothing like the U.S. Fast food here is king and cheap. Bad food in supermarkets is also pretty cheap.

Good, high quality restaurants are expensive in the U.S. High quality food in supermarkets is also expensive. Walking through the produce department is a bit scary. High quality proteins in the U.S. are costly.
Apples are 59c a lb (typically 3 per lb.), eggs can be had for $1.99 per dozen, oatmeal is like $2 for a big container. There are inexpensive cuts of meat that can be had for 1.99 per lb and there are plenty of cheap meal options - I've fed a family of three on $35-70 per week (not easy, but doable).

You can even eat fast-food, but the catch is it's like a kids size cheeseburger - NOT a burger, fries, milkshake, etc.

Saying that "healthy foods are too expensive" is another excuse. People with limited financial means CAN afford to eat healthy.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:37 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
Apples are 59c a lb (typically 3 per lb.), eggs can be had for $1.99 per dozen, oatmeal is like $2 for a big container. There are inexpensive cuts of meat that can be had for 1.99 per lb and there are plenty of cheap meal options - I've fed a family of three on $35-70 per week (not easy, but doable).

You can even eat fast-food, but the catch is it's like a kids size cheeseburger - NOT a burger, fries, milkshake, etc.

Saying that "healthy foods are too expensive" is another excuse. People with limited financial means CAN afford to eat healthy.
Where are you shopping. I rarely see apples under 79c/lb. Meats at $1.99 a pound? Hahahah maybe at Thanksgving. Eggs? More like $3 a dozen for the basic eggs.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:10 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,099,405 times
Quote:

Unless you live in NY where I pay 89 cent's to $1.19 per apple, lemons, tomatoes and green peppers. Red peppers are $1.99 each. Sweet potatoes are $1.09 each. $2.49 for a dozen of the store brand eggs. The cheapest meat is 80% lean chopped beef at $4.49 per pound and we all know how unhealthy that is, the good chopped beef is $6.50 per pound and whole chickens are $1.59 per pound. If you buy cut up chickens or chicken parts the prices can double per pound. A 42oz. box of store brand, unflavored rolled oats is $4.49. Milk is $4.20 a gallon.
1lb, 4 qtrs of store brand butter is $4.50. Olive oil is on average about 50 cents an ounce.

So, in some places, you can't eat very healthy foods cheaply.

We do eat healthy foods, but I could pay another mortgage with what I pay for in food.

Last edited by Lauriedeee; 07-08-2014 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Unless you live in NY where I pay 89 cent's to $1.19 per apple, lemons, tomatoes and green peppers. Red peppers are $1.99 each. Sweet potatoes are $1.09 each. $2.49 for a dozen of the store brand eggs. The cheapest meat is 80% lean chopped beef at $4.49 per pound and we all know how unhealthy that is, the good chopped beef is $6.50 per pound and whole chickens are $1.59 per pound. If you buy cut up chickens or chicken parts the prices can double per pound. A 42oz. box of store brand, unflavored rolled oats is $4.49. Milk is $4.20 a gallon.
1lb, 4 qtrs of store brand butter is $4.50. Olive oil is on average about 50 cents an ounce.

So, in some places, you can't eat very healthy foods cheaply.

We do eat healthy foods, but I could pay another mortgage with what I pay for in food.
Beef is expensive right now, but chicken as you mentioned can be had for $1.59 a lb. A serving is only 3oz so that's more than one portion per lb.

Also 80% lean beef isn't bad - you just can't have as much of it. Heck, I eat bean and cheese burritos from Taco Bell every few weeks, as a quick lunch. I just have to make sure - like anything, that I have enough calories available.

If you want to eat healthy it can be done cheaply - regardless of where you live.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:

Are you feeding a family with children on that now?

Old 07-08-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Are you feeding a family with children on that now?
I've fed a family of three - which includes a teenager on $35-70 per week in the past and even now on occasion when we have to watch our spending.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I've fed a family of three - which includes a teenager on $35-70 per week in the past and even now on occasion when we have to watch our spending.
What did you prepare, for example?

Old 07-08-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
What did you prepare, for example?
If you were really interested in getting a meal plan together on a budget that includes a caloric breakdown for weight loss, I'd be more than happy to help you, but that isnt the case. You're *not* geniunely interetsed - instead your looking for holes as to why it wouldnt work for you (I can't get xyz for that cheap, yadda yadda) - for which I wont waste the time or energy on.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
If you were really interested in getting a meal plan together on a budget that includes a caloric breakdown for weight loss, I'd be more than happy to help you, but that isnt the case. You're *not* geniunely interetsed - instead your looking for holes as to why it wouldnt work for you (I can't get xyz for that cheap, yadda yadda) - for which I wont waste the time or energy on.
Nono, not for me. I'm not lacking for money, thank God, knock on wood, carry a talisman and all that.

However, I'm well aware that it's almost impossible for the poor to eat well in this country, a country which lacks public transport, has no financial or job security of any sort, where people are fired on the spot and often resort to having 2 or more minimum wage jobs, people don't have the luxury of time, there's almost no extended family to rely on in times of difficulty (times which happen quite often), things are very expensive, moving from one place to another requires every expense of a vehicle, and has huge amounts of toxic food unless one disposes of enough money to buy the better products. Even the major magazines and news agencies have reported the reason why the poor find it more difficult in this country to eat healthfully. You might have been busy when it was reported.

I was simply curious how you managed to put together a healthy meal on very little money, and sought an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates