Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 01:06 PM

684 posts, read 869,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"She said she did nothing wrong and was honest when she applied to take part in the pageant, providing her birth certificate, driver's license and other documents. Rules for the pageant, the state preliminary for Miss America, require that Miss Delaware contestants be no older than 24, and say they cannot turn 25 before the end of the year. Longacre's 25th birthday will be on Oct. 22."
"The lawsuit filed in Delaware's Court of Chancery by Amanda Longacre seeks $3 million in damages and her reinstatement as Miss Delaware so she can compete in the Miss America pageant in September."
"When pageant officials initially told Longacre she would lose the scholarship money and her title, a senior official at the Miss Delaware Scholarship Organization offered to make it up to her by hosting a wine and cheese pajama party, according to the court documents."

Amanda Longacre Suing Miss America Organization For Millions - Business Insider

Though pageant officials were not employing their contestants, the age limit of 24 sounds totally arbitrary to me. Moreover, pageant officials certainly had a duty to vet their contestants before-the-fact, including the credentials and qualifications of each contestant. This comes across as gross incompetence on the part of the pageant officials.

Further, I believe that a "Miss Delaware" title has more far value than a wine and cheese pajama party. I would consider their offer of a wine and cheese pajama party to be further added embarrassment to Miss Longacre and yet another big slap-to-her-face.

I believe Miss Longacre may well have suffered public humiliation and personal loss due to gross incompetence by pagenat officials and that she has a valid argument and case. I would enjoy being a member of the jury.

Footnote: I have long said that any person who would like to be a member of the jury on a particular case should never be a member of that jury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 01:29 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,535 times
What exactly about this was supposed to put her in a "party" mood? The loss of a scholarship? Having the crown awarded to her, then taken back?

The organization should have vetted her better. Even the convenience store clerk down the street has a little calendar that says what day is the cutoff for buying alcohol or cigarettes. Could pageant organizers not do the math?

Still, I wonder if she knew she was too old, or if it was something she totally overlooked.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:18 PM

684 posts, read 869,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
What exactly about this was supposed to put her in a "party" mood? The loss of a scholarship? Having the crown awarded to her, then taken back?

The organization should have vetted her better. Even the convenience store clerk down the street has a little calendar that says what day is the cutoff for buying alcohol or cigarettes. Could pageant organizers not do the math?

Still, I wonder if she knew she was too old, or if it was something she totally overlooked.

I like your sense of humor and your store clerk analogy.

I have never been a pageant follower and have no idea if she knew that she was not qualified to enter the pageant based on her October birth date.

Nonetheless, she is a Miss, not a Mrs., and the cutoff age seems to be incredibly arbitrary, at least to me . Which would be interesting to force pageant officials to explin along with all the other things they need to explain.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:37 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,535 times
Being an old biddy should have actually put her at a disadvantage, going up against all those young coeds. I mean, winning a scholarship means she'd be starting school at 25 at best. Maybe it's grad school.

The age limit probably serves to limit how many years someone can compete. Had she competed every year she was eligible, this year may have been one too many.

I doubt she knew about the age limit, though. It's not like she produced false documentation - she gave them her real birthday. Had they done their part she would have been turned away before the competition. Instead, they let her compete and she won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates