Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 03:48 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
It becomes obvious that they're bad or not raised well when they're screaming, hollering, causing a scene and the parent does nothing. The parent is there, while the police cannot be on every single street watching out for people who are in a rush.
And you've seen this particular parent/child combo how many times...once?

If you're inclined to be bothered by things that happen in public spaces you will always find something about which to be bothered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 04:09 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

If you're inclined to be bothered by things that happen in public spaces you will always find something about which to be bothered.
As I've said, I work in customer service. I've seen it quite a bit.

And even if I've only seen it once, once is enough to determine there are plenty of unfit parents.

And it's normal to be bothered by misbehaving children and negligent parenting. I know some of the negligent and oblivious parents of CD find that difficult to believe. Because they think little Emily is so adorable when she's screaming, everyone is magically supposed to ignore little Emily.

But it's quite telling that you seem to believe there's something wrong with pointing out that not all parents are parent of the year and not all children are angels.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-14-2014 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 08-14-2014, 04:53 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
This is a debate forum, not a parenting forum. I have just mass deleted all the "my child" and "one time this brat..." stories (or at least I think I got them all). This topic, in THIS forum, needs to be addressed from a more theoretical approach. There is therefore no reason to assume a particular person or their parenting is being targeted. If you can not approach the subject in a non-personal way ignore the thread and/or posts in it. If you don't like the topic ignore it, there is no need to comment on it.

There will be ZERO tolerance for rude comments to a particular poster or other types of personal attacks. If you respond to a personal attack you are just as likely to be infracted as the person who "started" it.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-15-2014 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Further clarification

Old 08-14-2014, 05:42 PM

329 posts, read 387,795 times
Quote:

Or better yet, people can stop acting like their favorite reality star white trash and teach their children some manners, if the child is too young. Take them out of the business for a while. See decent parents to it all the time.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:48 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
As I've said, I work in customer service. I've seen it quite a bit.

And even if I've only seen it once, once is enough to determine there are plenty of unfit parents.

And it's normal to be bothered by misbehaving children and negligent parenting. I know some of the negligent and oblivious parents of CD find that difficult to believe. Because they think little Emily is so adorable when she's screaming, everyone is magically supposed to ignore little Emily.

But it's quite telling that you seem to believe there's something wrong with pointing out that not all parents are parent of the year and not all children are angels.
You could easily replace a few words in every post here and the thread could be about dogs in restaurants, burpers in restaurants, foodies taking flash photos in restaurants, cell phone talkers in restaurants. Ad infinitum. These threads exist here.

In the big picture issues like this come down to:

1) What is your right to be "not bothered" in public?

1a) Is that right equal in all arenas at all times? (I would say 'no')

2) If someone is the type of person who gets bothered easily, or by lots of things, are they to have special accommodation?

I actually do have strong feelings about behavior in public places but I like to think I'm mature enough to realize they're not directed at one sub-set of people I encounter in public as the source of discontent.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-14-2014 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: It has been taken care of, no need to bring it up again

Old 08-14-2014, 06:50 PM

966 posts, read 1,346,447 times
What gets me is when I go out to eat, I usually sit in the back away from the crowds as I like to read while I am eating, and I don't know how many times someone with 2 or more kids will pass up lots of empty tables and have to sit right next to where I am sitting. I have had their kids come over to my table and scream at the parents, run into my table, bump into me, and generally make a pain of themselves. I go out to relax, which is why I choose to sit where I do, can't they see that I would like some peace.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-14-2014 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: No personal stories

Old 08-14-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
You could easily replace a few words in every post here and the thread could be about dogs in restaurants, burpers in restaurants, foodies taking flash photos in restaurants, cell phone talkers in restaurants. Ad infinitum. These threads exist here.

In the big picture issues like this come down to:

1) What is your right to be "not bothered" in public?

1a) Is that right equal in all arenas at all times? (I would say 'no')

2) If someone is the type of person who gets bothered easily, or by lots of things, are they to have special accommodation?

I actually do have strong feelings about behavior in public places but I like to think I'm mature enough to realize they're not directed at one sub-set of people I encounter in public as the source of discontent.
As I stated in my post, there are SOME venues and restaurants that are not child-family friendly. I never said kids should be banned everywhere, but there's nothing wrong with establishments having child free policies.

Not all parents are "parent of the year" who will step in when necessary.

This is not about nitpicky Jim who hates kids and therefore thinks they should be banned because they're a general nuisance.

Almost anyone, in a public place (grocery store, restaurant, mall) can say that a screaming child, or children running loose is a disturbance. That's not being picky.

And as I've said before, it's quite disrespectful for those of is who end up having to pick up after the child.

I remember actually having to go to walmart around the holidays and the workers used Pepsi boxes to create a pyramid. This woman's son (who was about 4) was running around as though it was a jungle gym, and he ended up knocking the pyramid down. That's not an example of a disturbance?

There are one too many parents out there who do not want to discipline their children. And I don't know why anyone would think that everyone around them should put up with their shenanigans

It doesn't mean an establishment has to ban all kids. There are a lot of places that simply have a no child under 12 policy.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
One thing I've noticed: when I travel in Europe, I never see the phenomenon of badly behaved children in restaurants. And I don't eat in fancy places when I travel either. I've seen plenty of large family parties dining together, mostly on weekends, but the children don't melt down, run around the restaurant unattended, bother other patrons, or other unpleasant things I see all the time in Arizona. In casual places during the day I've seen mothers out with children they've brought shopping and such. But parents toting their own kids to restaurants as if it's a regular occurrence for dinner, not so much. I get the feeling children are fed at home. I don't remember ever seeing people with children at night at restaurants in Japan.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
One thing I've noticed: when I travel in Europe, I never see the phenomenon of badly behaved children in restaurants. And I don't eat in fancy places when I travel either. I've seen plenty of large family parties dining together, mostly on weekends, but the children don't melt down, run around the restaurant unattended, bother other patrons, or other unpleasant things I see all the time in Arizona. In casual places during the day I've seen mothers out with children they've brought shopping and such. But parents toting their own kids to restaurants as if it's a regular occurrence for dinner, not so much. I get the feeling children are fed at home. I don't remember ever seeing people with children at night at restaurants in Japan.
In Europe, fast food and restaurants are more expensive and aren't a staple in their diets. I think it's one of those things where everyone is on their best behavior on the rare occasions they do go out

Old 08-14-2014, 08:18 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
I think the solution is simple. If you have an infant or a "dynamic" toddler, do not take him or her to a situation where people are expecting peace and quiet. Ever. Such a place is off limits to you until your child is predictable and non-random. A sit-down type restaurant is an example. Simply don't go there. No matter how unpredictable or random a toddler may be, he can never disturb and create a toxic environment in a restaurant if his parents simply never bring him there. Get a sitter or stay home. It's common courtesy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates