Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 08:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
How often does that happen?
Two to three tables per day, seven days a week. About one in five tables that have young children. The majority are fine, but that 20% results in about an hour of misbehavior/disruption a day that I and my customers have to put up with. I can see the annoyance and frustration on my customers' faces. However we are a neighborhood-friendly if not strictly 'family'-friendly establishment and to prohibit children would not only be unfair to the majority of our customers with children, it would eliminate a big part of our customer base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 08:42 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,032 times
If I'm in a typical chain restaurant, I don't really care. I asked for it to be loud simply by being there. But if I'm in a very good chef-centric restaurant and a screaming, ill-behaved kid happens, I'll talk to the manager. If they do nothing immediately, I'll ask for my meal to go - or, if it hasn't been served yet, I'll simply cancel the order, while telling the manager exactly why I'm leaving. And that will be part of my online review.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:50 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,993,367 times
My neighborhood bar that serves AMAZING food has the occasional parent/s that bring their children in. While I don't think it's appropriate to bring children to a bar, I don't worry since the owners and employees are good at observing before serving. If your child is running around like it's IKEA's play area, you will be sent home. I don't feel bad about the policy since I know first hand about people that get off on allowing their kids to break loose in public places.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-16-2014 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Please read what is written in red in posts #1 & #23

Old 08-16-2014, 08:56 PM

403 posts, read 936,096 times
Forget screaming and crying children, I also hate when parents allow their children to stand on their seats, turn around, and stare at me while I am trying to eat. Seriously, make your child sit down and face their own table!!! No, your child is not cute when he is making faces at me. I hate it and I can't enjoy my meal!! Now that I have children, it is a priority that they are not only behaving (or we leave) but also not staring at anyone else at the tables near us!

Old 08-17-2014, 04:48 AM

418 posts, read 559,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette La Bretonne View Post
I can't speak for all of Europe, but here in France families go out all the time with their children. They often go out to small local restaurants, like creperies. It's not unusual to see entire families going out together; grandparents, parents, teenagers, older kids, little kids, older babies and toddlers. The children are always well-behaved. That is because other children around them are well-behaved.

"always" is too much but in general Juliette is correct that in France kids behave better in restaurants in general.

I dislike general comments about kids in restaurants because some kids DO behave and sadly people just assume all kids will be disruptive. Some restaurants in California have "child free sections" which I strongly oppose

Old 08-17-2014, 06:29 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
If I'm in a typical chain restaurant, I don't really care. I asked for it to be loud simply by being there. But if I'm in a very good chef-centric restaurant and a screaming, ill-behaved kid happens, I'll talk to the manager. If they do nothing immediately, I'll ask for my meal to go - or, if it hasn't been served yet, I'll simply cancel the order, while telling the manager exactly why I'm leaving. And that will be part of my online review.
Wow, this boggles my mind. I can see leaving, but writing an online review about it? That sounds very unfair... it's not the restaurant's fault and you shouldn't fault the restaurant. I'd just leave, tell the staff because maybe the staff could tell the parents, but I would never write a review faulting the restaurant for a disruptive child. That seems petty and it could do serious damage if other like minded people read that review.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:35 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Two to three tables per day, seven days a week. About one in five tables that have young children. The majority are fine, but that 20% results in about an hour of misbehavior/disruption a day that I and my customers have to put up with. I can see the annoyance and frustration on my customers' faces. However we are a neighborhood-friendly if not strictly 'family'-friendly establishment and to prohibit children would not only be unfair to the majority of our customers with children, it would eliminate a big part of our customer base.
Strange. One in five is about the ratio we experience misbehaving youngsters when we go out to eat. Not all are toddlers, of course, but many are.

We've found that the Thai, Indian, and Turkish restaurants in our area don't seem to have this problem. Not sure why that is, but we find ourselves going there more and more these days.

We've stopped going to Applebees, Red Robin, Golden Corrals and so forth. Not only is the food generally mediocre, it seems they have more misbehaving youngsters. Don't know why that is, but now that I think of it. Do they offer special low-priced meals for kids?

Old 08-17-2014, 05:31 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Strange. One in five is about the ratio we experience misbehaving youngsters when we go out to eat. Not all are toddlers, of course, but many are.

We've found that the Thai, Indian, and Turkish restaurants in our area don't seem to have this problem. Not sure why that is, but we find ourselves going there more and more these days.

We've stopped going to Applebees, Red Robin, Golden Corrals and so forth. Not only is the food generally mediocre, it seems they have more misbehaving youngsters. Don't know why that is, but now that I think of it. Do they offer special low-priced meals for kids?
If I ever have a restaurant, I wouldn't necessarily prohibit children, especially if the concept was not over-the-top fancy or what have you, because children need to learn about polite society and food and such, and I thank my parents for taking me to restaurants and teaching me to behave and appreciate the experience.

However, I would not have a children's menu or tolerate parents who do not intervene in their children's inappropriate behavior. If an adult is not allowed to stand on their chair, why should a child? I was not allowed to stand on a chair in my own home dining room, why is it acceptable in a public place?

If I raised my voice or spoke over other people I was told to shush. I didn't feel persecuted or like my parents were mean, I learned to think about others and how my behavior impacted their feelings.

At the same time I was allowed to roam until dark, build forts, ride my bike two towns over at the age of nine, make swords and shields out of scrap wood, build a raft and try it out on the river, and own a pocket knife. Yet, these little misbehavers are hovered over and protected from anything sharper than a feather. I just don't get the permissive, yet oppressive parenting that some people seem to practice these days.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:44 PM

421 posts, read 556,599 times
I really liked the point someone made that maybe children are mimicking adults in dining situations. Unless its a fancy tea or brunch, adults are talking loud, laughing, carrying on. At minimum, they are speaking louder then average. Not everyone, but children are experts at emulating their environment.

I also want to point out that what is inappropriate in a child's behavior to one, is not to all.

I know it will get deleted, although lots of personal experience is all over this thread now. If my kids stood up and turned around to make faces at another customer I always corrected them. But I never once heard a thanks, at most ignoring them. 9 times out of 10 the person told me it was fine and even enjoyed them. And it doesn't bother me when a kid does that. Maybe people who fuss about kids in public are the vast minority?

Old 08-17-2014, 06:04 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,826 times
It's actually hilarious that some people are offended at the idea that not all places are child friendly. I guess this explains why that woman tried to cry about breastfeeding discrimination after she was kicked out of a convention for bringing her newborn when the rules specifically said NO CHILDREN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates