Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 04:00 PM

893 posts, read 886,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
IMO, they should remember it within their own group instead of reminding the rest of us about it constantly.

Especially here in the U.S. that kind of thing would never happen.
How ignorant can you people be? $100 says you are a liberal.

headburiedinsand.jpeg

And to say "they should remember it within their own "group" only? Clueless

Old 09-19-2014, 04:26 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
We live in a civil society today. There is no reason for any group of people to cry over the past when the people alive today were not involved in it. Why constantly remind Americans about something that happened in Europe long ago? Even the atrocities that happened in our own country long ago have nothing to do with those of us alive today. Yes, we all know history but that doesn't mean it will be repeated here.
1. It wasn't that long ago. My father was a soldier in the US Army under Gen. Omar Bradley in WW2 and was among the US forces that liberated Nazi concentration camps in 1945. That was just 69 years ago. Do you know there are living survivors of the Holocaust?

2. A people have a perfect right to remember an atrocity or a genocide that took place. Should we forget the enslavement of African Americans in the US? Should be forget the massacre of the Armenians? Should we forget Pearl Harbor? How about 9/11? That was 13 years ago!!!!!

Old 09-19-2014, 04:27 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post

headburiedinsand.jpeg

What does liberal have to do with it?

Are you aware that most American Jews are liberal? Are you saying Jews are ignorant?

Old 09-19-2014, 04:42 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:

headburiedinsand.jpeg

You know I was with you until this. I am a liberal Democrat. Why would liberal people want to forget the Holocaust?

There are insensitive conservatives and insensitive liberals. Ignorance and bigotry exist on both sides of the aisle. However, let us not forget that Nazism was an extreme right wing movement.

I will compare slavery to the Holocaust. Both were brutal and oppressive institutions. Slaves were worked to death, starved and beaten. Families were separated. People were maimed and deprived of the most basic of rights.

They are not exactly the same, but they are both atrocities. Crimes against humanity.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:16 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You know I was with you until this. I am a liberal Democrat. Why would liberal people want to forget the Holocaust?

There are insensitive conservatives and insensitive liberals. Ignorance and bigotry exist on both sides of the aisle. However, let us not forget that Nazism was an extreme right wing movement.

I will compare slavery to the Holocaust. Both were brutal and oppressive institutions. Slaves were worked to death, starved and beaten. Families were separated. People were maimed and deprived of the most basic of rights.

They are not exactly the same, but they are both atrocities. Crimes against humanity.
Actually Nazism is as far from right wing as you can get. Total government control, more laws including the first anti smoking laws I am aware of, euthanasia, anti hunting ( Hitler said let the killing of animals be left for the butchers.), gun control, anti free speech, maybe some of the first PC speech even though most now would not agree with their version of political correctness, and many more.

The main goal of the Holocaust was the elimination of the Jewish people. The main goal of slavery was NOT the elimination of the Black race. It was cheap labor.

As bad as slavery was, the worst thing that ever occurred in the USA, it should never be compared to the holocaust!

Old 09-19-2014, 05:33 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:

headburiedinsand.jpeg

Who gets the $100? Can it be me? Guess you've never read any of OldGlory's posts before.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:40 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
In many ways, I hate THE '' xxxxx group'' needs to forget past tragedies mentality. Especially here in America. Certain events like 9/11 you ''never forget'' but when it happens to a more specific group ''forget it''. It's pure hypocrisy in my opinion.
Absolutely, the most brilliant post I've seen in quite some time.

Should the Jewish forget about the holocaust-really? How freaking absurd!

Should the people of African heritage forget slavery-what in the hell type of person suggest such ignorance.

If ever anyone group of people warrant racist/prejudice beliefs it should be the blacks and Jews. Our ancestors placed them through the ringer and "still"to this very day.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:41 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
We live in a civil society today. There is no reason for any group of people to cry over the past when the people alive today were not involved in it. Why constantly remind Americans about something that happened in Europe long ago? Even the atrocities that happened in our own country long ago have nothing to do with those of us alive today. Yes, we all know history but that doesn't mean it will be repeated here.
We DON'T live in a civil society today. I'm 26 and in my lifetime have experienced violence as a Jew in the United States. We had a cross burned on my lawn growing up. Rocks thrown through windows displaying a menorah. My brother had the crap beat out of him in the parking lot at 16 for wishing a cashier "Happy Chanukkah." I had one of my Star of David earrings ripped out of my ear in elementary school. These are all isolated incidents, but we all know what happens with mob mentality.

And it's more acceptable to treat Muslims with similar disdain today. Following the Boston Marathon bombing, a student I managed was threatened on a regular basis on the street simply because he appears Arab.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not happening. And if the tide turns, I have no doubt that wide scale, systematic violence and oppression targeted at an ethnic or religious group could happen again. Yes, even in the US.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:54 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
Quote:
Truthfully-history is taught via a bias view laced with ultra fallacy. We do not know enough about history-American Indians, Blacks, Jews, and Latin history. Many great men of color assisted in shaping our country, to include inventions. Which you rarely hear of until you research or take specific courses in college.

Civil society-if you call persuading a cultural group to believe they are inferior to another civil then certainly. It's civil just so long you do as one group fancies.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:14 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
There was a Holocaust in Guatemala in the 70's and especially the 80's that was initially supported by the US, until Carter made human rights the foundation of US foreign policy. Under the guise of fighting an insurgency (that had its roots in a coup the US orchestrated back in the 50's), the government waged genocide against the Mayan Indians. The US trained the generals that directed that, and supported it with arms donations and helicopters. This is why there was a wave of refugees from there seeking asylum in the US in the 80's, and the sanctuary movement gained ground among churches nationwide, to provide housing and food for all the refugees whose asylum petitions were turned down.

History does repeat itself. Not in exactly the same way each time, but it does repeat unless we're alert to what's going on around us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates