Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 04:28 PM

72 posts, read 59,101 times

Advertisements

I've always been heavy. Since I was 4. I was about 68 pounds at that age.

By 13 I was 150. And 180 by 17. Am 33 now and weigh 223. All efforts for dieting have been a failure. I lose about three pounds over thr course of two months and then regain. It keeps coming back. The lowest I've ever been in my adult life was 190 and that was after a battle with Colitis that spanned a year. I was so sick I could barely get out of bed and was only able to drink ensure.

Things I don't do

* I never eat out

* I don't drink alcohol

* I don't sit around

I've been tested for pcos and such disorders but nothing comes back. My mother was heavy too but I was not raised by her. I spent a greater portion of my childhood in fostercare then with her so its not a parental eating habits thing. My mother weighed as much as I do now.

I've talked to other folks with a life long weight problem and they have similar stories to my own. It's strongly genetic.

Old 11-13-2023, 04:45 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
A major culprit is sugar, in all its forms, but High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is the worst; it can only be metabolized by the liver. If the body cannot burn it up as energy expended it is stored as fat IN THE LIVER and leads to Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD). There are kids today who drink a lot of soft drinks and sports drinks that are loaded with HFCS and have NAFLD, which if not treated leads to scarring of the liver, cirrhosis of the liver and death (unless one gets a liver transplant).

Most baby formulas are loaded up with HFCS, that stuff is little more than a milkshake sugar bomb.

A great video is "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" by Dr. Robert Lustig on YouTube.

Do you have a source or link to support the statement "Obesity Is largely genetic?" If so, post it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-13-2023, 04:48 PM

72 posts, read 59,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
A major culprit is sugar, in all its forms, but High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is the worst; it can only be metabolized by the liver. If the body cannot burn it up as energy expended it is stored as fat IN THE LIVER and leads to Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD). There are kids today who drink a lot of soft drinks and sports drinks that are loaded with HFCS and have NAFLD, which is not treated leads to scarring of the liver, cirrhosis of the liver and eventually death (unless one gets a liver transplant).

Most baby formulas are loaded up with HFCS, that stuff is little more than a milkshake sugar bomb.

A great video is "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" by Dr. Robert Lustig on YouTube.
HFCS is not allowed in my country (Canada). Even do, I eliminated sugar and carbs from my diet after watching the documentary "fat head" on youtube for several years by did not lose any weight.

Old 11-13-2023, 04:49 PM

16,294 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I think for some people it's genetic and they have to try harder than others to stay slim. For others it's because they eat too much of the wrong foods and sit around.

Old 11-13-2023, 08:22 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
^^^ I agree ^^^

Obesity is not "largely" genetic. (whatever that means)

Most people probably have some genetic predisposition to obesity, depending on their family history and ethnicity.

Old 11-13-2023, 08:26 PM

942 posts, read 562,765 times
Have you ever bothered tracking your calories?

Have you been tested for food intolerances?

Are you diabetic?

Has your doctor looked at your thyroid?

Old 11-13-2023, 08:27 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigodqew View Post
HFCS is not allowed in my country (Canada). Even do, I eliminated sugar and carbs from my diet after watching the documentary "fat head" on youtube for several years by did not lose any weight.
Good to hear.
HFCS is also banned in much of Europe. They care about the quality of their products and citizens health.

Old 11-13-2023, 08:29 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
I think it's pretty obvious BOTH genetics and behavior play a role in obesity. How much of a role each plays is up for debate. I think I'd need more than a random poster on the internet to convince me that obesity is largely genetic.

Old 11-13-2023, 09:06 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I don't buy the mostly genetic argument.
Never seen an obese person who got that way by eating meat and eggs. Maybe it happens, but I've never seen it.

It may, though, be a social thing. The family eats poorly, so the kids eat poorly and everyone is overweight. That makes it look genetic.

Don't drink alcohol; Don't eat salads; Don't eat processed foods. You'll be at your ideal weight.
Yeah. "Salads". You don't need all that stuff. You have to drench them with flavored machinery oil before they taste like anything. I never eat salads. 5'10"/ 180 pounds. Cholesterol 134; triglycerides 60.

Dieticians tell a different story. But they just teach us what they were taught. What if the book is wrong....?
It is. Not sure why.

Old 11-13-2023, 10:11 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Try an elimination diet and exclude all items that contain wheat and soy from your diet. Bring in Canada, those items might not be as horrible in quality compared to what we have in the US, but it is worth trying out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates