Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 01:50 AM

165 posts, read 169,618 times

Advertisements

With firearms as the leading cause
Quote:
Nationwide, 126 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty in 2014, including 50 officers killed by firearms, according to an annual report released Tuesday.
The 2014 figures represent a jump from last year’s historically low tallies, when 102 officers died, including 32 by firearms, but remain below the previous decade’s average, according to the report from the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.

After firearm deaths, the second-leading cause of death in 2014 was traffic-related incidents, the report said, taking the lives of 49 officers
Police officer deaths rise in 2014, with firearms the leading cause - LA Times

The number of killed at the service policemen grew by 24% in 2014. A quarter !
And California is the leader, by the way.
It`s too dangerous to be a cop in the US this time. US Media says "Mission Accomplished"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 03:05 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post

It`s too dangerous to be a cop in the US this time. US Media says "Mission Accomplished"

Is that really what the media says? Not from where I'm sitting.

What I think is most tragic about this is that as you quote, this was mostly with firearms. And yet the paranoid 2nd amendment addicts will not even understand the irony. They will probably use it as a cause for "more guns."

Old 12-31-2014, 07:20 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,245,540 times
CA is one of the most restrictive states in regard to handguns (and other guns too), and what are the stats in regard to how may of those killed were by illegally owned guns? Have a feeling it could be 100 percent, but not stats to prove it.

As someone who was in LE for many many years, the person with the legal gun, with the permit to carry was never my concern.

What surprised me was the number killed by vehicles, I guess we should ban those too.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:02 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
CA is one of the most restrictive states in regard to handguns (and other guns too), and what are the stats in regard to how may of those killed were by illegally owned guns? Have a feeling it could be 100 percent, but not stats to prove it.

As someone who was in LE for many many years, the person with the legal gun, with the permit to carry was never my concern.

What surprised me was the number killed by vehicles, I guess we should ban those too.
Outside of not being able to have a concealed carrier's permit, having a max of 10 rounds per magazine, and not being able to purchase 50 caliber handguns, there's not too many restrictions...

Old 12-31-2014, 09:09 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post

Say what? Only 50 deaths by gun and 10s of thousands of LEOs in the US, honestly, that doesn't sound too dangerous all. Dangerous, but not too dangerous...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates