Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 09:43 AM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times

Advertisements

Let's just say that the issues you have are not the server's fault. I would probably tip them more.
If it really is the server's fault, then I'd tip from zero to 10% depending on how egregious he was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 09:53 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Actually this brings up another dilemma... If you are not interacting with a waiter, but a server is bringing you food after you ordered from a tablet, do you still tip the server?

Old 01-02-2015, 10:06 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
It would be nice if the OP would return and elaborate what they mean by bad service. I normally tip %15 but the last time we had truly poor service I had to get the attention of another server who got the manager to our table. I was furious and when all was said and done the restraint paid the meal.

I'm sorry but putting someone out on the floor who is so unprepared is a reflection of bad management.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:42 AM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
It all depends on what one means by "bad service." If bad service is the waiter not refilling water glasses, then I may tip 10% (yes, that's a failure of restaurant service 101, but is nothing that is especially egregious). If bad service is the waiter being intentionally rude, however, I'd probably leave a penny as this sends more of a signal than leaving nothing (if you leave nothing, the waiter may assume that you forgot to tip or that you're just cheap).

Old 01-02-2015, 12:13 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
As a former waitress, PLEASE make your decision to tip/not tip based on the service that the waiter provides. Food quality and the speed in which it is prepared and ready to leave the kitchen is not something the server has control over, but too often the tip reflects that.

As for not being rocket science, it does require a heck of a lot of stamina, patience, and the memory of an elephant. Judging a person's profession by the money they make is extremely shallow IMO.
Absolutely, with the exception the server should tell you, "the kitchen is backed up tonight I apologize for the wait". Many times the waiter doesn't come by, the food takes forever (kitchen's fault) however of the waiter doesn't tell you. Bad service.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:21 PM

242 posts, read 499,249 times
i would leave a 15% tip even if the service was not up to par.
most of the times service is bad, it's not the server's fault. we don't know though but it could be the kitchen is backed up, the place could be running with a skeleton crew meaning short staffed, perhaps server is going through some bad things.
i will have to give the server the benefit of the doubt if it is server related but we will never really know the reason, will we?
so 15 % for bad service and much more for good to great service.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:43 PM

450 posts, read 507,594 times
Also think about the server once in a while and what they have to go through. I'm NOT excusing bad service. But is very hard work.

Years ago I worked as a server in a very nice steak & seafood restaurant. I received extensive training before being assigned my own section, and management was usually highly visible in the dining room to make sure everyone was happy. One night a couple young enlisted men and their very beautiful dates came in for dinner. It was obvious to me that the boys were "out to impress". I was going to make sure everything was perfect for these guys. I helped them order, brought them champaign and served it properly as trained. I taught them how to crack and clean the lobsters they ordered, (they thought that was cool) suggested a nice wine to compliment the meal (and they bought several bottles). In the end, their check was well over $300 and they left me a $3 tip. I ran out in to the parking lot and approached them. I said "excuse me - I believe you left your $3 on the table" and I handed it back to them. They insisted I keep it because it was meant as a tip. I replied that I must have disappointed them with my service so I couldn't possibly keep it. They assured me that the service was great, the food was great and they had a really great experience. (Mind you by now their beautiful dates are starting to glare at them in disbelief). I told them "Thanks a lot. You just took one of my tables and at least two hours of my time in which I worked very hard for you and you tip me $3" Thanks but no thanks. Have a nice night.

There are also d-bags that walk out without paying the check. They ask the server to bring them a dessert and by the time the server gets back to they table, they are screaching out of the parking lot. Often times servers are required to pay the check when that happens. (Like they are supposed to be security guards too)? I'd need an additional pay check for that gig.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:53 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyLady13 View Post
i would leave a 15% tip even if the service was not up to par.
most of the times service is bad, it's not the server's fault.
we don't know though but it could be the kitchen is backed up, the place could be running with a skeleton crew meaning short staffed, perhaps server is going through some bad things.
i will have to give the server the benefit of the doubt if it is server related but we will never really know the reason, will we?
so 15 % for bad service and much more for good to great service.
I don't understand people who tip even when they get bad service. And I don't agree that the server is not at fault for bad service. Slow/bad food is not the server's fault. Getting the order wrong sometimes is. I know that being a waiter/waitress is a hard job. I can't imagine how difficult it is (actually I can; I was one way back in the age of the dinosaurs) but I do expect good service. By that I mean a server who comes to my table, asks what drink I want, gives me a menu, takes my order, brings drink/bread/salad, etc, does the drink refill, brings the food, takes the plates, and brings the check.

The main thing I dislike is server abandonment and having to wave him/her down repeatedly for drink refills or condiments. I've even had a couple of times when the server never shows up for the first round to bring the menu! My second annoyance is servers with a bad attitude toward something that has nothing to do with me. I am polite and nice and try to make all my requests at once so I don't make them run over and over. Waiting tables is very tiring. I don't want to cause them too much work. But if they are jerks, they shouldn't expect a tip or the usual 20%.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:11 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
As for not being rocket science, it does require a heck of a lot of stamina, patience, and the memory of an elephant. Judging a person's profession by the money they make is extremely shallow IMO.
I'm not going to argue that waiting tables requires stamina, but as for "requiring patience and the memory of an elephant", so do a lot of jobs. I work for one of the largest financial institutions in the world, and am required to memorize hundreds of processes, service level agreements and the correct syntax for dozens of archaic commands for financial systems that process a trillion dollars a day. If you forget someone's dinner order, they may not get their steak cooked to their liking and you might get a poor tip as a result. If I forget to follow an SLA with one of our financial clients or if I forget the correct command syntax to return a broken SWIFT transfer, there are literally millions of dollars at stake and I could easily lose my job (and possibly face criminal charges) as a result.

That's not shallow nor a judgment. That is reality.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:44 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
So, let's say I'm looking at a $50-per-person dinner. Around here, that's an upscale restaurant that should provide upscale service. But let's say I don't receive what I think it should be.

I'd ask to speak to the manager. If a talk with the manager is unproductive, I won't be going back to that restaurant at all...that's for sure.

But I'm not going to stiff the waitstaff out of a tip before having a discussion with the manager. That conversation--or the failure of it--will tell me something about whether I leave any tip at all or perhaps slip some cash directly to the server.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates