Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:15 PM

760 posts, read 770,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I am sick and tired of hearing and reading about pitbulls killing and maiming children and older people. I think pit bull owners should be tried as an assailant when their dog attacks an innocent person that didn't provoke the dog. The crime should read as assault with the intention of killing or murder.

I think the same should apply to the parents of under age 18 thugs when they go out burglarize homes and businesses, vandalize, set fires, rob, steal cars etc.
They should be 100% liable for all damage and losses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 11:00 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,325,105 times
Yes, they should be--actually, that should be the case with ANY dogs.

I would go one farther--anyone with a dog that barks a lot and they do nothing about it, they should be arrested for disturbing the peace. No one wants to hear your yorkie yapping at everything. Zip it.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:20 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,170,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I am sick and tired of hearing and reading about pitbulls killing and maiming children and older people. I think pit bull owners should be tried as an assailant when their dog attacks an innocent person that didn't provoke the dog. The crime should read as assault with the intention of killing or murder.

Any dog owner who fails to control their dog (regardless of breed) should be held responsible for the actions of their dog.

Pit bulls shouldn't be singled out. To do so is the canine equivalent of racism.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:42 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,307,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Just a guess..........you weigh about 110 pounds.... your dog about the same.........there is no way you can hold onto that dogs leash if he wants to attack someone...........let alone prevent an attack......

I cannot count the number of times I have seen some girl out being dragged down the sidewalk by a pit,german shepard,rottweiller,doberman,etc.........with no chance in hell of being able to "control" it
On the contrary. I won't mention my weight (it's not polite to ask but thanks for thinking I'm only 110 pounds), but I'm very strong (thank you, gym membership!) AND my dog is only 50 pounds because pits are not 110 pounds. Also, I've trained my dog to heel since we adopted him which means the leash coming off his harness hangs loose as he walks by my side rather than pulling me down the street. Not only that, but I don't hold the leash loose in my hands even though he's trained - I maintain a firm grip while having the leash wrapped around my wrist for additional control should he decide to investigate a nearby bush or tree on our walks. (similar to this: Image:Hold a Dog's Leash Step 3.jpg - wikiHow)

Again, I'm a responsible owner.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:44 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,307,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I would go one farther--anyone with a dog that barks a lot and they do nothing about it, they should be arrested for disturbing the peace. No one wants to hear your yorkie yapping at everything. Zip it.
There's a family in our neighborhood who must keep their dogs outside 24/7 because I don't care what time I take my dogs out for walks, their dogs are ALWAYS out back, barking at anything that moves. I'm so glad I'm not their neighbor for that very reason!

Old 01-07-2015, 09:54 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,933,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I think the same should apply to the parents of under age 18 thugs when they go out burglarize homes and businesses, vandalize, set fires, rob, steal cars etc.
They should be 100% liable for all damage and losses.
Good point. The OP never said why he/she believes only owners of Pit Bulls should be charged with attempted murder if their dog attacks, unprovoked, by an innocent person and why whatever the reasoning is would only be applied to Pit Bull owners. I'm sure that such a charge would be immediately challenged and ripped apart. Owners of animals are already held financially and sometimes criminally liable for damages caused by their animals.

To begin with one would have to show the dog was a Pit Bull. Since Pit Bull is not a breed one would have to establish that the dog was either American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier or Staffordshire Bull Terrier via DNA testing. Once this was established the court would have to prove the innocence of the victim and that the dog was indeed not provoked. If those two criteria were met premeditation and intent would have to be proven.

If one were to change the definition of premeditation and intent to be the mere ownership of a potentially dangerous vessel then a number of animals, underage children, guns, vehicles, drugs, swimming pools, etc. could be argued to fall under the same definition.

Given that less than 1% of the population is attacked by the three breeds recognized by the United Kennel Club as "Pit Bull group" I seriously doubt this endeavor would be of much priority.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:01 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,918,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Yes, they should be--actually, that should be the case with ANY dogs.

Well if the topic is noise pollution I would argue that parents that allow their brats to scream endlessly in public should be arrested in that case.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:53 PM

892 posts, read 1,502,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I'd say I'm one of the more responsible dog owners out there - and since I know dog bites are random and unexpected,
Again, you're WRONG, and by "knowing" this you're creating a potential dangerous situation by not being alert to the signs that will be given BEFORE a dog attacks. You'll only be scrambling for control AFTER the incident.

Do Dogs Bite Out of the Blue? | Dogs and Babies
Why Dogs Bite | Reasons for dog bites | What causes dogs to bite?
Leerburg Q&A | My dog attacks other dogs without a warning. What can I do to stop this?
Why dog bites happen and how to stop dog biting | Cesar Millan
When Your Dog Bites - Understanding & Correcting Aggressive Behavior
How Are Dog Bites Like Tetris? | Dogster

6 pages that all say the same thing - a dog will rarely, if ever, attack someone completely unprovoked (and this was a quick Google search...there's plenty more out there that same the same thing, as will nearly any vet or animal trainer). There is virtually always a reason for their attack, preceded by several warnings and signs before the attack occurs. Just because you don't see these signs, or know what to look for, doesn't make them "random and unexpected" and continuing to believe that they are random is doing far more harm than you realize.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:03 PM

25,986 posts, read 22,181,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Pit bulls can be very good dogs and nice pets.

Pete the Pup from the Little Rascals was always cool with the kids at least on the program.

Sometimes they can be dangerous too, but that's because of their owners, not because of the dogs.

Other breeds, shepards, rotts, etc. can be just as dangerous as a pit bull if that's the way they are trained and treated.

I think if someone trains their dog to be dangerous, they certainly should have liability in the matter, but keying just to the pit breed is discriminatory.
I am SO sick of hearing this. We had two come after our dogs when we were walking and yes, they were pits. The owners stood in the yard. This is just a regular every day family, not hoodlums. Pit bulls were selectively bred to be the monsters that they became just like a herding dog, there is the instinct and it is not easy and sometimes impossible to train out breed qualities. Anyone that believes that you have to mistreat or not train in order for a pit bull to attack and kill knows absolutely nothing about dogs and how they were bred in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
One more thought on this. In Pittsburgh at the animal shelter near me, which is HUGE, guess what dog is occupying the animal shelter's space the most? Yep, so-called "pit bulls". Oh, you want to know the percentage? You better sit down! Over 90%!!!!!!!!!! Probably more like 96%, but what does it matter? Goes to show you that humans shouldn't have this breed. They are throw away dogs because losers gravitate to them like flies on crap. Just get rid of them for the most part. Fix them all and just let the die off. Like I said, Denver banned them because of the way so many humans treat them. Just not fair to the dogs themselves to be subject to humans.
Our Animal Control Facility also. It is my understanding that 90% of them are put down. Yes, throw away!

ALL owners of dogs should be required to have liability insurance if they have any dog. Counties/cities should be insuring that all dogs are vaccinated and licensed. I asked our animal control officer if when she went out on a complaint or picked up a dog if they checked to see if the dog had rabies shot and the free license issued by the city. They don't do that. We have SO many dog bites here and most of the dogs you see are pit bulls which explains the high death rate at the shelter.

We have several streets that we now don't walk down. We carry large stun guns. I am guessing if the dog attacks continue, we'll be carrying something more and we won't have to worry about repeat problems.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:44 PM

760 posts, read 770,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

ALL owners of dogs should be required to have liability insurance if they have any dog.
Bunch of bull! Let's have liability insurance started first on all those teen thugs, paid for by their PARENTS.

Homeowners already HAVE liability insurance it's called homeowner's insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates