Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:32 AM

1,431 posts, read 912,696 times

Advertisements

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that there are a bunch of individuals on the road that shouldn't be allowed to drive for various reasons. I think that people should be retested every few years, maybe every 3 or 4 to reconfirm their ability to operate a motor vehicle. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 01:37 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
I would require the person to have skills above and beyond just normal driving, situations arise where you have to be thinking fast on your feet, you need some sort of motor skills and reflexes to drive....not just be breathing.

I agree.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:05 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
I agree. Make the entire cost of the testing, examiners, and administration costs, come out of the individual's pocket. Make it self supporting. Make it tougher, include highway driving, and emergency braking, and night driving.

Make the beginning driver, of ANY age, have to go through a two year graduated license program, that restricts their driving to day time hours, zero alcohol, no passengers except a adult with at least 5 years of being licensed, and NO highway driving, for their first year.

In the second year, they can drive after dark, still NO alcohol at all, and one passenger. Any traffic convictions and they go back to the very beginning of the program, again. Where I live in Ontario, Canada, that is exactly what our drivers' license graduated program is, and it has reduced car accident deaths by all most 50 percent, since it was introduced about 20 years ago.

Want to cut down on kids being killed in cars ? Pass a State law that IF you quit high school before you graduate....you can't get a driver's license until you pass age 21 . And make the two year graduated license a national law.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:07 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,477,919 times
If you retested them and they failed, they would continue driving anyway. In some states, upwards of 25% of drivers have no license now. They have no liability insurance, either.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:08 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
No way. We have too much bureaucracy and red tape as it is. I went to renew my driver's license last year and it took at least an hour. First you wait in a line that is almost out the door, just to supply your name and reason for visit. Then wait around until your name is called and you go to another window. Then wait some more and go to a window to get you eyes checked. Then wait some more to be told that your processing is complete and you can go.

Imagine if there were a driving test or even just a written exam. You would be there all day.

My philosophy is to avoid those bad drivers. If I see someone weaving, drifting, or doing anything off kilter I will either speed up and pass to get away from them, or if there is no one behind me, slow down and let them move away from me. I stick to the right lane and drive the speed limit (or the speed of the car ahead of me). Thus I don't have to weave lanes and interact with other drivers. If someone wishes to cut in front of me, I let them.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 01-15-2015 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 01-15-2015, 09:52 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
If you retested them and they failed, they would continue driving anyway. In some states, upwards of 25% of drivers have no license now. They have no liability insurance, either.
They should make the penalties more harsh for those caught without licenses then. Apparently, the fines aren't strict enough to be proper motivation to those individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
No way. We have too much bureaucracy and red tape as it is. I went to renew my driver's license last year and it took at least an hour. First you wait in a line that is almost out the door, just to supply your name and reason for visit. Then wait around until your name is called and you go to another window. Then wait some more and go to a window to get you eyes checked. Then wait some more to be told that your processing is complete and you can go.

Imagine if there were a driving test or even just a written exam. You would be there all day.

My philosophy is to avoid those bad drivers. If I see someone weaving, drifting, or doing anything off kilter I will either speed up and pass to get away from them, or if there is no one behind me, slow down and let them move away from me. I stick to the right lane and drive the speed limit (or the speed of the car ahead of me). Thus I don't have to weave lanes and interact with other drivers. If someone wishes to cut in front of me, I let them.
Going to the DMV sucks, but I would totally put up with it in order to get garbage drivers off the road.

You can only avoid them so much. I've been rear-ended twice, once by a pizza delivery guy that was texting while driving and the other by an old lady who ran a traffic light while I was making a left turn. She would've T-boned me if I didn't see her headlights in my peripherals and gas it right before impact. Driving is a privilege, and people like that should have theirs revoked.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:10 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,992 times
Honestly I will agree with people after hitting a certain age say 70 should have to retake a driving test every time they go to renew there license. Not trying to discriminate against the elderly just being realistic and pointing out that your motor skills decline as you get older so I do believe once you become a senior citizen you should have to retake a driving test to get your license renewed. As far as everyone having to take driving tests and knowledge tests every couple of years that is giant waste of time for the most part.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:04 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,894 times
We already do...
And anytime I stop someone who appears compromised I can issue them a notice of required retest... I use it sparingly and in cases where it is clear cut

Stopped a nice 80 year old guy driving in the parking lane at 20 mph when traffic was around him doing 60.. while there was some common sense to what he was doing he also had no idea where he was.. or more importantly where he was going
I took him to the station... found his daughter..who was unaware he was even gone...
End result.. voluntary surrender of license...

I took my dads license away at 80 when I saw he was parking by feel... my family got him a golf cart... he drove the wheels off it... still parking by feel... but without potentially injuring someone else... fortunately my parents prepared for aging by moving somewhere where such transport is possible ...

We will all face this...

I know I married a younger wife for a reason!

Old 01-16-2015, 08:16 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
They should make the penalties more harsh for those caught without licenses then. Apparently, the fines aren't strict enough to be proper motivation to those individuals.
Won't solve the problem - these folks are driving without licenses because they need to, in order to get to where they need to go. It's the downside of creating a car-centric living environment; in most places, driving's really not optional.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:24 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
At a certain age yes. But just to retest people every three to four years, no way. It's difficult enough now to just renew your license. Can you imagine having to take the test???? Nope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates