Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 09:47 AM

13,284 posts, read 7,334,621 times

Advertisements

Birth control pills have been around for 50 years they don't cost much and are very effective. I remember the fight with religious quackos trying to stop Obama care's mandate to pay for Birth Control. It's the 21st century this should be free for everyone in the US it makes sense and we might see less abortions if it was free. I think it should be over the counter too that way it's a lot easier to get. Abortion pills over the counter at any Pharmacy.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:36 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,985,486 times
First, let's remember that NOTHING is ever free!
In order for the Federal Government to furnish "FREE" birth control pills and devices to the populace, it first has to take the money to pay the bills from SOMEBODY.
That SOMEBODY is the Taxpayers, YOU and ME.
While I cannot, of course, speak for YOU, I certainly don't think it is MY job to pay for birth control for ANYBODY! I have no religious or moral objection to any type of birth control, I merely think that if somebody wants it, it is up to THEM to pay for it!
It just isn't my job!

"Birth control pills have been around for 50 years they don't cost much and are very effective."
That's right, it isn't all that expensive. If YOU want it, YOU pay for it. I will not purchase your cigarettes for you, I won't purchase your booze for you, I won't purchase your cheese and crackers for you, and I won't pay for your contraceptives. Not personally, and not as a taxpayer.
If you can't afford them, don't mess with sex.
Even though it is "out of fashion" these days, abstinence is still the very best pregnancy preventive. If you can't or don't want to abstain, buy your own contraceptives.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:38 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,400,880 times
no

Old 01-18-2015, 01:15 PM

24,511 posts, read 17,260,237 times
Religious whackos? I think you are referring to practising Catholics who don't believe in birth control. Obamas health care plan had a one giant umbrella for everyone (unless you were a member of Congress, their families and some other groups and organisations that didn't like it, didn't want it and had enough clout to say NO)... The basic idea for Obama care is that everyone pays in to help those who need it, sounds like a good idea until it is broken down and men are required to pay for woman needs.
Obamacare required Catholic churches whose fundamental beliefs opposed birth control but they were going to be required by law to provide it to their workers. That is why they went to court over it.

Not much in life is Free and providing free birth control sounds like a good idea but.. I don't want ot pay for it. We have enough problems now that we are having trouble paying for.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:23 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,092,189 times
Sure, have the government(taxpayers) pay for birth control, which will result in fewer workers in the future to help pay income taxes. While you are at it why not take more from the people on SS so they can pay for the BC pills that will ensure they stop getting SS later on.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:38 PM

651 posts, read 416,989 times
To my mind, there is a low link between cost of the birth control pills and the numbers of unwanted pregnancy.
We know girls and women aren't inclined to save money mainly. And the cause that a girl doesn't have the pill at the moment as she need it is she has forgotten to buy the pills and not the price.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:56 PM

13,284 posts, read 7,334,621 times
Quote:
First, let's remember that NOTHING is ever free!
In order for the Federal Government to furnish "FREE" birth control pills and devices to the populace, it first has to take the money to pay the bills from SOMEBODY.
That SOMEBODY is the Taxpayers, YOU and ME.
While I cannot, of course, speak for YOU, I certainly don't think it is MY job to pay for birth control for ANYBODY! I have no religious or moral objection to any type of birth control, I merely think that if somebody wants it, it is up to THEM to pay for it!
It just isn't my job!
So you are okay with Welfare for people who can't afford to have children which could have been prevented by providing birth control pills. If the tax payer is paying to raise kids why can't these kids be prevented? Lot of those kids end up being criminals and drug dealers.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:19 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,309,970 times
George Carlin said it best:

"Boy, these conservatives are really something, aren't they? They're all in favor of the unborn. They will do anything for the unborn. But once you're born, you're on your own. Pro-life conservatives are obsessed with the fetus from conception to nine months. After that, they don't want to know about you. They don't want to hear from you. No nothing. No neonatal care, no day care, no head start, no school lunch, no food stamps, no welfare, no nothing. If you're preborn, you're fine; if you're preschool, you're f****d."

Not trying to turn this into conservative vs liberal issue as I am neither, just a George Carlin fan.
I do think contraceptives should be free and easily obtained. I also think vasectomies and hysterectomies should also be 100% free as well as abortions. Has anyone looked around? There are way too many of us. And the people who have no business having even one kid, seem to have the most. All of us propagating like $;&:!%#* rabbits have got us in the predicament we are in today. We spend way more money as a country on ridiculous stuff, at least this could better us. If we took even .01% of our "defense" budget we would easily be able to pay for this. I personally would get a vasectomy if it was free. I am trying to save up the $1500 to do it now.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:27 PM

53 posts, read 56,351 times
I can only guess that you're decades younger than I am if you believe so many freebies ought to come your way.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:44 PM

3,769 posts, read 4,109,568 times
only free for muslims
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates