Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 11:33 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Paid less =/= not being able to have a living. What professions were women barred from exactly up until modern times? Beyond things like armed forces and such.
Women weren't allowed to study certain sciences in the university, and were barred from becoming surgeons. They had a lot of trouble getting into the legal profession, as well. Law firms just didn't hire women for a long time.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:55 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
"It's not the man's fault when it comes to unwanted pregnancy."
Now now... let's not get carried away. If he stuck his penis in a woman's vagina then he's a part of the reproductive process my friend. I bet there's plenty of men trying to get out of child support payments based upon that argument... "...but it's not MY fault she had an unwanted pregnancy!!" Could you imagine?

On that note though, I do agree with you that women should take the responsibly for picking a good father seriously. It's probably one of the most important decisions we can make as individuals on behalf of our children. It really astonishes me how easily a convict felon, drug addict, lying, cheating, scuz of a man can have 5 kids with 5 different women. And each and every one of those women will most likely defend their choice until their dying breath not recognizing the real victim in all the grownup nonsense is the kids who now have no father around (or a POS one). And then the cycle continues...

Perfectly competent, educated, and successful women can crank out kids with a louse of a man. I'm not sure if education alone can help that. I don't think anything will really. I think there are women out there whose perception of what a good relationship entails is just seriously skewed. Maybe the goal (of having children) trumps having a good foundation for having children (for many, this is apparent).

Old 02-07-2015, 12:12 PM

11,052 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Why are we assuming these are unwanted pregnancies? They have a kid when they're not married, they get their own house, they get food, money, etc. Their boyfriend then also has a place to live, food, etc., just don't tell the social worker he's living there. So what's the problem? They don't have a problem.

How much of a stress on the economy are the welfare benefits? How many folks make money off of it? There are the folks who get the benefits, the folks selling the groceries, the folks working in the social work field, the landlords of the welfare folks, etc.

How much of a percentage of our national budget is welfare as opposed to warfare? Seems taking care of folks at home would be more at least more karmically beneficial than trying to kill off folks somewhere else. Although I don't know if nations have karma or not.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:31 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
You WILL recieve an infraction for gender bashing, and far too many of the latest posts, including too many that I have had to delete and a few still visible, are definitely close to crossing that line.

This thread is not about gender equality or women's rights. Those topics may only be discussed in relation to how they are related to the topic of the thread - and they can not be the focus of the post. Start a new thread if you want to debate those things.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-07-2015 at 12:39 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 02:47 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
I'm with rumpa. The thread is called "why are so many young women living so irresponsible?" Yet the post talks about women who are raising children with no Dad in the picture. Why isn't the Dad responsible? Does every woman KNOW her man is going to take a hike the minute there's a child in the picture?

As Cape Cod Todd noted, the rates of teen pregnancy have gone down significantly in recent years from the all-time high of 1990. The U.S., however, still has the highest rate of teen pregnancy, teen parenthood, and teen abortions among industrial or developed nations. Canada has half the teen pregnancies the U.S. does. France and Germany have rates four times lower than the U.S. and Japan's rate is eight times lower. Why?

One in every ten births in our country is to a teenaged mother. Out of those pregnancies, it's estimated that more than 80% were unplanned and the majority occurred to teen girls who became sexually active between their 13th and 14th years of age. Who's ultimately responsible for that happening? Only one-third of women who give birth as teens complete their high school educations and by the age of 30 only 1.5% of them have college degrees. Why?

Good questions would be, "Where are the parents of these teenaged girls who are sexually active at age 14? Why aren't their parents more involved in helping them NOT have unplanned pregnancies?" A second question should be, "Why don't we put more responsibility on the boys who father these babies?"

Old 02-07-2015, 06:54 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
I have had to delete almost every post since my last one. I'm done.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates