U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2015, 05:28 PM
 
1,452 posts, read 1,500,896 times
Reputation: 2160

Advertisements

Elvis - Yes he changed the face of music at the time, but is his death what makes him so appealing this day and age. Would people still be flocking to Graceland if he was still alove?

Nirvana (Kurt Cobain) - Music is still played on mainstream radio. Some of the only mainstream grunge from the 90's that is still popular today. Would Nirvana still be relevant if people were not fascinated by his death?

Sublime - Lead singer died at the height of popularity. Would they still be relevant today if he was still alive?

What makes an untimely death so appealing?

Any other examples where this is the case?

*************************************************
MODERATOR NOTE: While these examples are only in the music industry for this thread the topic can include debate based on other industries such entertainment, literacy, politics, military, religion, etc.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-13-2015 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Added moderator note, changed title
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2015, 05:40 PM
 
Location: FROM Dixie, but IN SoCal
3,485 posts, read 5,892,470 times
Reputation: 3762
Pardon me, but all the examples you cited were singers/entertainers. Their untimely deaths caused a brief, but short-lived, ripple in the ocean of mankind's existence. Kurt Colbain's suicide, though regretful and immediately painful to his admirers/fans/followers, was but a drop in the bucket compared to the assassinations of Martin Luther King and Malcolm X. They were inconsequential when compared to the deaths of Mohandas Gandhi and Nelson Mandela.

So, and again with all due respect, Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot? If you don't already know what this means, you may wish to look it up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 05:44 PM
 
1,452 posts, read 1,500,896 times
Reputation: 2160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Pardon me, but all the examples you cited were singers/entertainers. Their untimely deaths caused a brief, but short-lived, ripple in the ocean of mankind's existence. Kurt Colbain's suicide, though regretful and immediately painful to his admirers/fans/followers, was but a drop in the bucket compared to the assassinations of Martin Luther King and Malcolm X. They were inconsequential when compared to the deaths of Mohandas Gandhi and Nelson Mandela.

So, and again with all due respect, Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot? If you don't already know what this means, you may wish to look it up.
Why would I mention any of your examples? The people you mentioned left a mark on history. I was trying to show how death propelled the people I mentioned to a level of popularity they would not have attained while alive
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 05:56 PM
 
Location: East Bay
701 posts, read 1,259,784 times
Reputation: 1407
Kurt Cobain -- probably not. Nirvana's body of work is small and their reputation is really based on only one good album.

Elvis --- absolutely. He was already considered a god by many before he died.

Sublime? I never heard of them. So there's that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
4,490 posts, read 3,592,540 times
Reputation: 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Elvis - Yes he changed the face of music at the time, but is his death what makes him so appealing this day and age. Would people still be flocking to Graceland if he was still alove?

Nirvana (Kurt Cobain) - Music is still played on mainstream radio. Some of the only mainstream grunge from the 90's that is still popular today. Would Nirvana still be relevant if people were not fascinated by his death?

Sublime - Lead singer died at the height of popularity. Would they still be relevant today if he was still alive?

What makes an untimely death so appealing?

Any other examples where this is the case?

Interesting question and if we only restrict the field to music here's my 2 cents.

Elvis isn't a good example, because while he did pass at a young age he did record an enormous amount of music across various genres and people won't think "what if?" Perhaps he could have recorded some heavy metal music that would've been interesting, but what else could he have done?

In the cases of Cobain and Nowell they didn't live long enough and didn't get the chance to record a lot so people will always be asking "what if?" Which is why IMO people are fascinated with them.

Ultimate example of "what if" would be Jimi Hendrix. Imagine if he was alive today? What would he have accomplished? Would he have changed music completely ?

Last edited by MrGompers; 02-13-2015 at 06:11 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2015, 11:16 AM
 
4,269 posts, read 3,799,609 times
Reputation: 13033
I think of JFK and his legacy. I don't think he would be remembered as fondly by people if had lived. Personally, he seems to have been sort of a creep. Politically, he would have encountered less popular decisions. I think he would have been considered more 'meh' or even disliked like some of the presidents that came after him.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2015, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Cape Cod
16,015 posts, read 10,560,050 times
Reputation: 25920
Some say it is better to burn out then fade away and I agree for some entertainers. When they die before their time it helps the legend to grow.

I wonder if Kurt Cobain was still alive if he would have finally washed his hair and tossed that old cardigan to step away from the grunge look. Would he still be making music?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2015, 10:04 AM
 
1,452 posts, read 1,500,896 times
Reputation: 2160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I think of JFK and his legacy. I don't think he would be remembered as fondly by people if had lived. Personally, he seems to have been sort of a creep. Politically, he would have encountered less popular decisions. I think he would have been considered more 'meh' or even disliked like some of the presidents that came after him.
I agree, if JFK finished out his presidency, he may not have been the icon he is today. His transgressions may have come to light.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2015, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
35,173 posts, read 22,581,350 times
Reputation: 13806
True icon will always be legendary. For example, Vincent Van Gogh who revolutionized art with his post-Impressionist landscapes. His style mixed with ancient Japanese minimalism, his art has a balance of order and chaos. His style is breathtakingly beautiful.

James Dean, the ultimate reluctant rebel, the perfect boy next door mixed with sexiness.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2015, 07:41 PM
 
Location: MD's Eastern Shore
2,607 posts, read 3,477,250 times
Reputation: 4594
All in my opinion.

Elvis, as stated doesn't belong on this list list as he was well established across the board in music. He may have even been on his way down but he would still be popular!

Now Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin. again, My opinion but they sucked. I don't see any talent. Couldn't play, couldn't sing. Truly awful music. Jimmy Hendrix. Not much different. Couldn't sing worth crap. So he played a guitar differently while all strung out? Doesn't make him special. and Sublime? Who? I actually had a casette and it wasn't that bad but nothing special or no reason for them to be popular. Just another rock/rap/latin blend.

JFK? I think, and I may be wrong as he was before my time, but I think his popularity is because of the Cuban Missile Crisis and how close we were to nuclear war. Then he was assassinated while he was on top. Did he do anything else?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top