Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 02:11 PM

743 posts, read 834,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Hiring someone to do a job who isn't capable of performing that job isn't what we're talking about. Not allowing a woman who very well could be qualified for a job to even apply because of gender could be discriminatory. Not all men are capable of being effective police or firefighters, either.
Gotcha. And yeah I mentioned the last sentence in my post already.

I find it odd that women want to be wage slaves the rest of their lives. You'd think they would see men and think "hmm... they are ALWAYS working. slave to the system. no thanks, I'll enjoy staying at home instead of being just another rat in the race"

Everyone wants "equality" so badly that they aren't even observing how it would negatively affect them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 02:25 PM

36,747 posts, read 31,015,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post

I find it odd that women want to be wage slaves the rest of their lives. You'd think they would see men and think "hmm... they are ALWAYS working. slave to the system. no thanks, I'll enjoy staying at home instead of being just another rat in the race"

Everyone wants "equality" so badly that they aren't even observing how it would negatively affect them.
Better to receive a wage for your servitude than nothing.
You don't see to many men jumping on that stay at home gig.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Better to receive a wage for your servitude than nothing.
You don't see to many men jumping on that stay at home gig.
That's because society has always expected us to be the breadwinners. We don't have much other choice and money has to be made. If I were a woman, I certainly wouldn't be pushing for the same standard onto myself. It's not as glamorous as ya think.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:24 PM

29,775 posts, read 34,508,669 times
Quote:

But that sort of system would keep women in a state of dependence. When you work, you earn money, and when you earn money, you have control over your life. If a woman "stays at home" then how does she feed herself and pay her rent? I'm not married, I own a house and a car and my own things. If I didn't work, I'd have to still be living off of my parents, who then may pressure me to get married so they wouldn't have to support me anymore. I'd rather be in the rat race on my own terms, thank you.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:59 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,374,548 times
I believe in equal respect, and respect is earned. I believe in rewarding a job well done. I hate blanket "everyone gets this" when everyone doesn't deserve this. Watering down the quality. Whether man or woman, or any nationality, be the best and make the most. Or at least make as much as the other's that you're equal to in capability.

Life's not fair. Not everyone can make the same. But don't let it be based on anything but capability and effectiveness in the job.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
But that sort of system would keep women in a state of dependence. When you work, you earn money, and when you earn money, you have control over your life. If a woman "stays at home" then how does she feed herself and pay her rent? I'm not married, I own a house and a car and my own things. If I didn't work, I'd have to still be living off of my parents, who then may pressure me to get married so they wouldn't have to support me anymore. I'd rather be in the rat race on my own terms, thank you.
And you have that right. I would reasonably think that the majority of women enjoy being in relationships though and if their man makes enough money, they'd be much happier not having to work their butt off.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:18 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,313,835 times
There is always going to be a difference between men and women. Maybe, on the whole, women do not earn as much as men for a multitude of reasons but that has nothing to do with "equal pay for equal work".

The problem with statistics is that they are only a piece of the puzzle.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:28 PM

376 posts, read 490,816 times
Quote:
But that sort of system would keep women in a state of dependence. When you work, you earn money, and when you earn money, you have control over your life. If a woman "stays at home" then how does she feed herself and pay her rent? ...
I think that this 'dependence' would be mitigated by the face that most women will wind up getting married (common law or not) and having children, so the single state would be temporary - moreso than what we have now. And the resulting dependence on men and its potential for abuse by those men could be mitigated by force of law (ie no no-fault divorces) and socially (heavy social stigma on men who abandon or abuse wives). I think that its notable that we seem to be moving away from some of these protective measures for women.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:00 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,418,811 times
Quote:

I'm 38 and in the midst of a successful career. I own my own home. I have a life filled with loving people. Why on earth would I want to be a housewife? Equality is vital to my life and my happiness. Heck, the only reason I'm typing this right now is I am sitting on my couch at a crossroads for the day because I have so many choices as to what I can do with my weekend.

I'd love a house husband though - it would be great to have someone supporting my career and taking care of the day-to-day stuff. And to have sex with regularly. Definitely that too.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:08 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,282,267 times
The gender gap in pay is real, and cannot be explained away by the facile excuses anti-equality people like to suggest.

Quote:
As in some earlier studies, the researchers found a difference in income, with a male doctor’s annual salary averaging just over $200,000 and a female’s averaging about $168,000. And like previous researchers, they found that the female doctors tended to be in lower-paying specialties, have fewer publications, work fewer hours and hold fewer administrative leadership positions.

But when these researchers ran the numbers again, this time adjusting for differences in specialty, publications, academic rank, hours worked and leadership positions, they found that the expected average salary for women still fell behind that of their male colleagues. The male doctors made over $12,000 per year more than the women.

Calculated over the course of a 30-year career, the income gap based on sex alone amounted to over $350,000.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...aid-less/?_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates