Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 12:11 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
I don't live in a place where panhandling is popular. I'd estimate 90% of the homeless here are truly in need. So many have mental illnesses and no way of seeking help too.
Alright then. So you don't live in 'one of those places' yet you suggest I go walk around in one? Walked it, biked it, drove it. I'd be panhandeld more while driving or opening my car. Never got panhandled biking, walking it depended more on how I was dressed. I'd walk down the street in a hoodie and never get panhandled, but wearing a collared shirt 5 people would assume I owed them money. If that isn't judgemental...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 10:17 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Don't care about race.

I have family and friends who are in crisis situations, people I know well, and I help them sometimes when I can.

I used to work near a YWCA that had a shelter for homeless or abused women and children, and they would take donations of pretty much anything usable, and give it to those who needed it (not sell it, like at Goodwill.) I even gave them a bread machine that I couldn't figure out how to properly use because I suck at cooking...it was practically new. They were happy to give it to somebody. My work did a gingerbread house contest for the holidays one year, and when it was over, all entries were donated to that shelter. I'm all about that kind of stuff. I recently mailed hundreds of dollars of toys and coats and such that my kids had outgrown, down to a friend in Houston who was doing some outreach with some poor families.

As for just handing out money though, I have a rule. If they are doing anything...reciting poetry, doing "human sculpture" acts, strumming a guitar (even badly), banging out a beat on a bucket, in other words if they are BUSKING instead of BEGGING then I will give money if I've got it to give. Because I love street performers, and I think they add culture and interest to a place. And more importantly because they are at least doing something to attempt to earn a buck instead of just asking for it, for nothing. That goes right to my work ethic. As for the more troubled souls, the mentally ill, the addicts...look, I feel for 'em. But I cannot know which are dangerous to me, let alone which are faking or will do something unsavory with my money. I know nothing about them. More significantly though, my dollar won't go very far for them. They need more than what I've got to give, and they're a bigger issue than I know how to solve. I'd rather give to shelters and food banks.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:22 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
when you help a panhandler or homeless person, does the person's race / ethnicity have any effect on your sympathy for them? or making a decision to try and help them out? because of tribal instinct to help a member of your ethnic group?

like if your of a certain race or ethnic background and the panhandler or homeless person looks like your cousin or from the same ethnic group does it ever cause you to be a little more friendly or have more sympathy for them to see somebody from your group in need of assistance?
Honestly...no, their race doesn't influence whether or not I give anything or how much I give. I just see them as humans. If I think they're just lazy and trying to scam people for booze or drugs then I don't give them a dime--which is usually the case. If I see somebody is just down on their luck temporarily and hungry or needy then I'll give. I can tell by their demeanor and voice what they're up to.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:19 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Never thought about the person's race. I give something if I have it, because I don't know the person's story, and I know I'd want someone else's sympathy if I was down and out. I'm sure I've been scammed a few times. That's on their conscience, not mine.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:36 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I never give to panhandlers as a rule.

Yesterday there was a lady with a baby and a kid about 3 years old in a stroller at a shopping center near me. Stratigically placed at the parking lot exit where people have to stop their car before turning right, with no time to ask any questions or get info about her plight...just enough time to hand her money. Her sign read "lost my job and need money too buy food and pay rent. God Bless You" and I didn't even feel a twinge of guilt because I assume she was scamming.

She was Hispanic but the last guy I saw there doing the same thing was white. I didn't give him anything either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates