Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:06 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
If you can, describe the existence and how it would be possible. I do not believe humans in any recognizable state as compared to today can make it that long.
Given the proliferation of nukes, I doubt that humanity as we know it, will exist. I predict that there will be a world war 3 and some country or some leader is going to annihilate a large portion of the world with bombs. I think there will be chaos then a whole new restructuring of borders, allegiances, and economies. Technology however will be amazing. If humanity makes it that far.

Last edited by Jay100; 02-27-2015 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 02:06 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,727 times
I believe due to the plummeting birth rates among certain groups that the make up of the planet will be much different. Groups such as Africans and religious groups such as the Mormons, Amish and Hasidic Jews will multiple many fold due to their high birthrate, also nations with high birthrates such as African nations will grow in population and they will spread through out the world due to desperate labor shortages to fill jobs in first world nations with declining populations. Nations such as Japan, Italy, Germany, etc, will see their native populations die off for the most part. The demographics will be much different. The remaining whites will belong to devote religious groups and the rest of the population will be African or a mix race. The Asian race will continue, but greatly shrink due to the declining birth rate. The population of the planet will be at least half of what it is now.

The world will be greatly restructured due to coming collapse of vital resources, such as fresh water, top soil, oil, rare earth elements, etc. It will be a painful process and some areas of the world will be abandoned due to increasing desert, no water etc. We have to adapt to the new reality of these lost resources and a reshuffling will occur and the adjustment will be made. The upward progression man will take a few steps backwards. No different than what has happened through out history.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:40 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,935 times
I have a feeling the whole Middle East will keep collapsing, maybe World War III will come of it. I just see complete annihilation of that region of the world. We'll probably enter into another conflict with an unrelated country or countries because of it. The United States as they are today will probably change into smaller fragmented nation states.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:32 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Humans will still be human in 200 years but there will be a huge divide between the rich and poor.
The rich will live in luxury and have good healthy lives while the poor will toil for themselves and have a shorter life span due to limited access to health care and the toxic nature of the polution that America is trying to slow down now with recycling and conservation efforts but the developing world is just amping up.

I foresee wars, conflicts and natural disasters that will ravage the inflicted areas and people, with very little aide provided to the survivors due to limited resources.

Clean water and air will be a concern which will limit life spans and cut down the overall population.

It won't be a happy place unless you are one of the elite. I agree with the last poster that America will probably be a fragmented nation.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:45 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I have a feeling the whole Middle East will keep collapsing, maybe World War III will come of it. I just see complete annihilation of that region of the world. We'll probably enter into another conflict with an unrelated country or countries because of it. The United States as they are today will probably change into smaller fragmented nation states.
The Middle East is way overpopulated in relation to it's ability to feed itself. The oil boom has made it possible for the entire region to overpopulate at least four times greater than it's ability to raise crops, livestock, etc. When the oil runs out and they run out of money things will get ugly. They are massive food importers.

With an abundant unemployed disenfranchised youth population, no developed economy except oil and arid desert land which is poor for crops, we are looking at a disaster in the making. The entire north Africa/ Middle east region will go into a complete meltdown.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:18 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times
Yeah,

Living on Keplar-186f

Old 02-28-2015, 09:15 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I foresee a civilization that can leisurely pursue whatever they want as all the work is done by robots. It's going to be a bumpy ride gettng there becsue it's not compatible with our current system of capitalism.
I don't think it is really incompatible we just need to be better about training. In 200 years a university education will be free.

I mean we can't replace literally all work because some requires a conscious, sentient being. You wouldn't make an android like that because you would have to pay it and let it vote. But yeah all manual labor definitely.

Quote:
Sans some major technological breakthrough I'd put my money on geothermal. Solar and wind will always be a supplemental source becsue of the storage issue. Consider this for a second, for one day in ideal conditions you first need enough capacity to meet your needs for the 8 hours of sun.
This is actually already being addressed in a couple of ways. One, you can have large banks of batteries connected to the grid. This is called "grid storage". For example:

Grid Scale Batteries | Large Scale Energy Storage | Aquion Energy

The other way is specific to solar thermal. Instead of heating water directly, you heat a special type of salt. It retains the heat for 12 hours after the sun goes down. See here:

CSP Technology | SolarReserve

Old 02-28-2015, 09:20 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Yeah,

Living on Keplar-186f
We will definitely live on planets in other star systems eventually. I don't know if it will happen as soon as 200 years. We'll definitely start colonizing our own solar system by then though.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:58 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,573,294 times
I think the US is going to have some turmoil that's going to trigger a division in its internal State Boundaries, triggered by opposition to ever growing Government Control. This, I believe, will in turn, Trigger confrontations between classes of people and Government, with Government supporting the wealthy class, which will be seen by the rest, to be the core of their problems. I also predict, that at some point, the Government will cease to have the ability to control the Country, and the Law will be administered by the Individual Territories , who will cease to recognize the Central Government.

Its almost impossible to say what 200 years will bring, because I believe the downturn will happen, and recovery/restructure may be a long fought out process.

I base this on the observation that we have become a Country that does little producing, compared to the rest of the World, and are becoming a Country of "Services" which is just a fancy term for redistribution of existing money for services, and not adding of new money by production of material goods. Also, the trend Americans are taking, to make a career of living off the Government Social Safety Net, instead of working at a Job for Salary, which pays taxes to fund these programs. Also, the existing divide between the haves, and the have not's, which is festering quietly in the background. Add the Greed factor, which grows and grows more each year, and the growing amount of people who resent the Government for taking sides with the rich and powerful, and you have a recipe for Social Nitroglycerin, which can be set off by most any event, and becoming more volatile as time passes. The signs are there, the tension is present, and forces are in turmoil.

Facts are, that we can not survive as a Country, as we know it, at the present rate of decay we have as a "United" States. We can not survive as a Country where everyone works for the Government. We can not survive as a Country where growing numbers of people live off the Governments handouts. And I do believe that things will get worse before they get better. Possibly a really bad depression, that's so bad, the Government will not be able to pump enough money in it to stop it. And if that happens, it will not be a Depression like the big one, where the rich sat on the hill wining and dining, while the poor starved and stood in bread lines. The days of those human values are long gone, and the poor will take what they need to survive, in my opinion. The rich will get blamed for it, and will have to watch out for them "Pitchforks." We would have to be pretty arrogant to believe we can be immune from whats happening in the rest of the World, in restructuring their Societies.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:44 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post

I mean we can't replace literally all work because some requires a conscious, sentient being.
Like what? The only thing robots lack is intelligence and that's just around the corner, Watson for example is not true AI however it mimics human intelligence quite well and that's all you need. Physically a robot can perform surgery superior to what any human hand can ever achieve, once it can make it's own decisions why the need for surgeons?

Low skilled jobs have been lost to robotics for decades and it's accelerating rapidly at this point. In the past when people have lost their jobs to technology they have moved onto something else, this is completely different when the robot can perform anything imaginable.

Take the 3-D printer for example, how jobs is that device going to take when you can just print anything you want at home including another 3-D printer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates