Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:08 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Why is this associated with Millennials? Just because they're the favorite dart board du jour? This actually started with the Boomers, including the bit about having kids outside of any stable dating relationship. The casual "sperm donor" concept started sometime in the 80's, if not the 70's.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:43 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
Exactly, you don't need to be married to have a family. I'm not saying marriage itself is bad, but a couple can very well have kids and raise them together without ever being married.
However, such kids didn't do anything to deserve having parents who aren't married.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:11 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm curious as to where this horrible term "illegitimate child" comes from. Normally I think PC terms don't matter, but in this case I do. The child born to unmarried parents is no less legitimate than a child born to married parents.
Yes, the child is. Look up the word ba***rd in the dictionary and read the definitions. What did the child do to deserve having parents who aren't married? Answer...nothing. Doing so is selfish. Your 'horror' is part of a rationalization for a lack of standards.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:46 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
we dont go to the kennel and get a dog we cant take of ,,,, (or it would be neglect)

but why do we have kids with no way of taking care of that child....particularly without both parents......if one is a drug addict... etc.

thats why we have an adoption service

remember 40 50 yrs ago most women did not work outside of the house...so options were much fewer...and society did frown upon this more
however
today with most women working and if she does have the means to raise the kid... its not ideal, but its her choice...if the man/father isnt around..

to have more kids to get more benefits....i hope that doesnt happen at all ..

100 yrs ago ....men aspired to marry virgins..... and it probly did happen (at least 80%) today its probly 80% the other way..... so society changed a lot.....not saying its right or wrong....but when you use a term like wed-lock which is outdated..... and this question - yes more frowned upon a 100 yrs ago,,,, but it was a different world too

look at the animal world....what do male lions do when they take over a pride??????????????????????
they kill the little lions because its not his

so give humans some credit here

Old 01-13-2017, 08:19 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm curious as to where this horrible term "illegitimate child" comes from. Normally I think PC terms don't matter, but in this case I do. The child born to unmarried parents is no less legitimate than a child born to married parents. The term makes the child sound like counterfeit money; a fake child and one who doesn't matter. And the baby certainly has no control over the circumstances of his/her birth. I certainly hope that any parent or grandparent of such a baby never uses that term around them, at least at the age where they can understand what it means.
It comes from the ethic that a person can only "legitimately" engage in sexual activity with their legal spouse. While the term might not be used around the child in some jurisdictions, The Philippines being the one I am intimately aware of the birth certificate has a big red over stamp "ILLEGITIMATE" on it. It is part of the social punishment to their parent for engaging in quasi-illegal sex.

From that nation, with a single parenthood rate of around 38% within the margin of difference of the American rate because of the illegitimate stamp there is/was a "fixer" business to provide clean birth certificates and where "legally married" relatives pretend to be the birth parents. Today there is less stigma since one of the last Marcos acts in the mid 1980s was to add the unmarried father's name to birth certificates. When records started to go to computer databases and not depend upon a hard copy many women found themselves "married" when actually trying to legally marry since if one form had "married" check marked, normally for the child to have a clean birth certificate the computer report turns up hot. And then you have o go to court to either go through a fake annulment, the most often used route or try to prove that somewhere along the line an official's signature was a forgery.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:20 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yes, the child is. Look up the word ba***rd in the dictionary and read the definitions. What did the child do to deserve having parents who aren't married? Answer...nothing. Doing so is selfish. Your 'horror' is part of a rationalization for a lack of standards.
I think you are putting far too much weight into the title of marriage. Emotional appeals don't strengthen your argument here.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:49 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
So?

If my wife and I had not decided to get married before having children, what would be the difference? She'd still have her original last name, and we'd file our taxes differently. That's it.

Oh, and the usual suspects would complain about how wrong it is, without really providing any substantive reason for what it would be so.

We obtained a marriage license, went to the local courthouse - 13 months before our first two children were born, for you knuckleheads who might otherwise presume that a non-religious wedding suggests some sort of need for hasty nuptions; nope, we just had no interest whatsoever in bringing some sort of religious officiant into the process - and recited a few lines.

It slightly altered some legal issues. It changed nothing about either of us or the way we've raised our three terrific children.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:42 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
you don't need to be married to be a father... marriage only involves husband and wife, not parents/children

are adopted children without parents because they may not be "married" to the mother?

Old 01-15-2017, 04:16 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Fortunately this has not been a common thing among the millennials I know, all being my own kids peer groups. I can only think of one who had a child a year after high school without following through with marriage plans and has raised him as a single mom. The rest seem to be getting married first, or shortly after. The majority are starting to roll into their 30's still single though.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:53 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
we dont go to the kennel and get a dog we cant take of ,,,, (or it would be neglect)

but why do we have kids with no way of taking care of that child....particularly without both parents......if one is a drug addict... etc.

thats why we have an adoption service

look at the animal world....what do male lions do when they take over a pride??????????????????????
they kill the little lions because its not his

so give humans some credit here

Interesting - how many times do we hear about a baby or child being abused or killed by the mother's boyfriend of the month? The shame of having a child out of wedlock has been mostly erased so we are seeing more women having babies with different men and the government helps support these kids if the father disappears, is in jail or whatever. Years ago there was a stigma to having an "illegitimate" child. Not anymore. Sometimes a little shame is healthy.....

My son's old GF just had her 3rd child with the 3rd baby daddy. Government paid for it all. Thankfully she finally had her tubes tied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates