Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:26 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Thing Finder: Nowhere in the world, though, have I ever encountered a more brutal, tribal and violent race of people than the Scots-Irish

History News Network | The Strange Origins of Thomas Sowell's Theory of Gangsta Rap Culture

Whites greatly overestimate the share of crimes committed by black people - The Washington Post

Whites Commit More Crimes Than Blacks, FBI Says on EthicsDaily.com

A certain amount of people think black people are 'naturally' more aggressive or volatile. But do you think these essays may hold sway, I mean there are undoubtedly more violence mostly black areas in say London or Manchester for instance - but the most violent city, and deadliest in the UK is Glasgow. A predominantly white city. And Liverpool and Belfast are also violent and mainly white. They also have a lot of Celtic in these cities. Clutching at straws here - but I think there may be something in it. You just need to look at Ukraine, Syria, Mexico, the Congo and North Korea to see every 'race' is as violent as the next. It just makes me think that we are all the same, as I always have thought. But in America as it is the dominant country, we all see the blacks marginalised - and sometimes violent which usually does quickly follow marginalization. And the ''republicans'' swearing the blacks are to blame for their problems - are we this bigoted and/or stupid? The far right again making waves in Europe - will we ever learn from history? I just thought we would'a got passed this by now - depressing really is.

''But those numbers count only those who were jailed for a crime. In 2003, more than twice as many whites as blacks were arrested and charged with a crime, according to the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports.''
The assumption that Black people commit more crime is nothing but racism.

Of course we are all the same but we care conditioned to think we are different, and that one ''race'' is somehow better than another and one culture is inherently inferior or superior to another.

During the 2011 August riots many people were blaming ''Afro-Caribbean violent culture'' on the riots and some people accepted this. How disrespectful to African-Caribbean cultures is that? I guess playing drums, colourful parades and rice&peas is somehow criminal?

Generally race never has anything to do with violence or crime is always poverty, marginalisation, lack of opportunities and the environment.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-07-2015 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 03-06-2015, 09:32 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
The assumption that Black people commit more crime is nothing but racism.
I don't know about the UK but in the United States black people do commit more crime I don't believe it is that black people are inherently more criminal I believe it is related to higher poverty level, lower attainment of higher education by overall percentage and the glorification of gang culture look up the statistics.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-07-2015 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 03-06-2015, 09:39 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Quote:
During the 2011 August riots many people were blaming ''Afro-Caribbean violent culture''
But Liverpool and Salford went up in flames also, they were mainly white. Also Glasgow Rangers fans trashed the whole of Manchester city centre and nearly killed a policeman and guess what - they were white!

Old 03-06-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post

I don't know about the UK but in the United States black people do commit more crime I don't believe it is that black people are inherently more criminal I believe it is related to higher poverty level, lower attainment of higher education by overall percentage and the glorification of gang culture look up the statistics.

Its a similar situation here but its not just the Black people here that glorify gang culture. Asians, Whites and everyone else glorify it. - Its the environment but I can see that youth Black people who are naïve associate ''Gang culture'' with being Black.

I don't know of the statistics of which ethnic group commits the most crimes by percentage but I know Young Black Males are probably top. However Police are more likely to charge them of crimes or even falsely charge them so its probably skewed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
But Liverpool and Salford went up in flames also, they were mainly white. Also Glasgow Rangers fans trashed the whole of Manchester city centre and nearly killed a policeman and guess what - they were white!
Yes I know that I didn't know about the Policeman it just goes to show that the issue of the riots were nothing to do with culture, Black people or even poverty! Everyone was involved in the riots from teachers to Little Kids.

People just didn't care it was like ''F you government and society''

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-07-2015 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Removed icons

Old 03-06-2015, 09:52 AM
AFP

Quote:
Its a similar situation here but its not just the Black people here that glorify gang culture. Asians, Whites and everyone else glorify it. - Its the environment but I can see that youth Black people who are naïve associate ''Gang culture'' with being Black.

I don't know of the statistics of which ethnic group commits the most crimes by percentage but I know Young Black Males are probably top. However Police are more likely to charge them of crimes or even falsely charge them so its probably skewed.
Yes I know that Blacks are sentenced more harsely for the same crimes others commit, and that that criminal justice is skewed against their favor. But still that does not address the underlying issue of more crimes per capita being committed by black people. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti Black by any means just anti crime in general regardless of which group committs crime. I just think it is important to look at all the facts.

I know that other races are also glorifying gang culture but the results are having a more direct impact on Black People. I don't see how you can dispute that. The saggy pants style for example is something that started in US prisons. I won't go into the history here.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-07-2015 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: Edited quote

Old 03-06-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Yes I know that Blacks are sentenced more harsely for the same crimes others commit, and that that criminal justice is skewed against their favor. But still that does not address the underlying issue of more crimes per capita being committed by black people. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti Black by any means just anti crime in general regardless of which group committs crime. I just think it is important to look at all the facts.

I know that other races are also glorifying gang culture but the results are having a more direct impact on Black People. I don't see how you can dispute that. The saggy pants style for example is something that started in US prisons. I won't go into the history here.
The underlying reason is that Black people are more likely to live in poverty due to a system that halts them from progressing - we're talking about teachers assuming that they will do worst, employers less likely to employing them and from the amount of obstacles most black people face - higher rates of illness, too. On top of that the Media only shows the negative side of the ''race'' and the ''Black pop culture'' that promotes criminality and disrespect. To add insult to injury many Black people internalise negative stereotypes of their own ''race'' like being dumb, being ugly, trashy, criminal so when a Black teenager begins interest in ''unblack'' stuff they get shot down (not literally) by their peers.

ANOTHER issue is social issues within the home (typical people living in poverty/bad areas) single parents, lack of role models etc etc...

Its just a vicious cycle.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-07-2015 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: Removed icon

Old 03-06-2015, 10:18 AM
AFP

P London assuming all of the things you mentioned are true I would categorize them as challenges that are substantial. In my view it still doesn't address the underlying issue I believe most people don't break the cycle.

It is because they don't believe they can! Many people simply don't believe they have the tools or the ability to lift themselves up out of those cycles. It's partially a matter os self esteem in my view and also a lack of mentors modeling the types of habits that would be useful in getting out of those cycles.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
P London assuming all of the things you mentioned are true I would categorize them as challenges that are substantial. In my view it still doesn't address the underlying issue I believe most people don't break the cycle.

It is because they don't believe they can! Many people simply don't believe they have the tools or the ability to lift themselves up out of those cycles. It's partially a matter os self esteem in my view and also a lack of mentors modeling the types of habits that would be useful in getting out of those cycles.
Those are the underlining reasons. People conform, they conform even if its negative though a lot of Black people do ''rise up'' in one form or another.

I know what I said is true I'm Black I see it right in front of me, my younger brother seems to be going down that route...

Old 03-06-2015, 11:03 AM
AFP

Quote:
Those are the underlining reasons. People conform, they conform even if its negative though a lot of Black people do ''rise up'' in one form or another.

I know what I said is true I'm Black I see it right in front of me, my younger brother seems to be going down that route...
It takes a strong individual and determination to take the path less traveled or to be a trailblazer but it can be done. Your brother will have to make his own choices and live with the consequences of his choices all you can do is let him know you'll be there for him.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
It takes a strong individual and determination to take the path less traveled or to be a trailblazer but it can be done. Your brother will have to make his own choices and live with the consequences of his choices all you can do is let him know you'll be there for him.
Exactly, but generally the people that make the wrong choices sooner or later change their ways. Its sad even depressing but at least things are getting better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates