Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 11:51 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

I spent a good chunk of time in Glasgow on a foreign exchange program in college, and yes, I was regularly shocked by the violence. And I grew up near Trenton and Camden, New Jersey. It's not race, Scots-Irish, etc. It's mostly socioeconomics and culture.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:46 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
It's not race, Scots-Irish, etc. It's mostly socioeconomics and culture.
That is it mate. Sounds so simple - but people don't seem to think so.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:27 PM

743 posts, read 831,770 times
The amount of crime whites or blacks commit in total is a crappy statistic that the more violent race uses to pretend they aren't the problem. Look at the actual population of each race, and how many of each race commit violent crimes. In the USA, blacks commit violent crimes astronomically higher when you use this correct methodology. It isn't racist when it's a fact.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:44 AM

922 posts, read 805,797 times
This is a super complicated problem that I doubt anyone has a good answer to. I think there is a mixture of government policy and African American culture at play.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:54 PM

195 posts, read 186,185 times
ok, twice as many whites as blacks were charged with a crime, but there's 5x as many whites as blacks, if you consider Hispanics to be "white". If you consider Hispanics to not be white, then the ratio is "just" 4x as many whites as blacks. That means that blacks are arrested 2x as often as whites. Ever wonder if maybe it's cause they committ twice as much crime? Or is it that they get caught 2x as often? Ever heard of "getting down first". ? :-) it means that the first one to snitch on his buddies has the best chance of staying out of prison.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:37 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Ever thought because they are treated like dirt by the American people?

If you get raised in a war zone you become a warrior, it's common sense.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:46 AM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Points of Convergence View Post
It's a mix of cultural influences, socioeconomic factors, social perceptions reinforcing stereotyped behavior, and genetic factors interacting with the environment - a complicated interaction between nature and nurture. I don't completely deny that genetics is a factor, like some liberals, nor do I subscribe to the stormfront point of view that it is all genetics.

I would say there are some differences, after correcting for socio-economic stratification, culture and focused corrective community actions to tackle violence and crime in specific communities.
What "genetic factors?" I agree with everything else. This is really quite simple that it doesn't take a lot of pontificating or proselytizing on human behavior and their propensity for violence. Some of the most notable crimes committed against others have been committed by White men. For centuries. There is no scientific data that describes Blacks "more" violent than any other group. Note I didn't say there is no data. There is data but it is not factual and not based on anything bordering on truth.

If this were true, where would Whites fit in this scheme? Where would all the warring factions in the Middle East fit? How about the Chinese? We could go back and revisit history and add to this as well. In my opinion this is just one of those things you chalk up to common sense (if you understand the true propensity for human behavior).

Old 03-14-2015, 10:48 AM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadd View Post
ok, twice as many whites as blacks were charged with a crime, but there's 5x as many whites as blacks, if you consider Hispanics to be "white". If you consider Hispanics to not be white, then the ratio is "just" 4x as many whites as blacks. That means that blacks are arrested 2x as often as whites. Ever wonder if maybe it's cause they committ twice as much crime? Or is it that they get caught 2x as often? Ever heard of "getting down first". ? :-) it means that the first one to snitch on his buddies has the best chance of staying out of prison.
Ever thought it is by design? They started out oppressed in America and the oppression continues.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-16-2015 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: Removed icon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates