Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:58 PM

13,447 posts, read 7,446,133 times

Advertisements

I have heard some make this statement before if one takes government aid they should have to meet some some requirements birth control, and Drug testing. At one time they were forced to come in and look for a job I don't think that is required any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 11:01 PM

917 posts, read 1,388,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I have heard some make this statement before if one takes government aid they should have to meet some some requirements birth control, and Drug testing. At one time they were forced to come in and look for a job I don't think that is required any longer.
I believe it's a great idea but of course some religions prohibit birth control. I think a program should be set up to help people find jobs or maybe help them with certain skills to get a job. It could be a requirement to keep receiving benefits. (Maybe these programs exist, I don't really know)

Old 01-21-2015, 11:33 PM

476 posts, read 1,299,951 times
Unfortunately it's the children who suffer when we put restrictions on benefits. What I think is needed are more opportunities to give a hand up to people who want it by way of jobs and skills. There are so many single mothers out there who can't get jobs because they don't have skills or don't have reliable transportation or childcare. The dads can't stay employed enough to pay child support. There's no sense in denying children basic food and shelter but the real emphasis should be on how we can help these families NOW who want to be self supporting and get out of poverty.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:36 AM

13,447 posts, read 7,446,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushiqueen View Post
Unfortunately it's the children who suffer when we put restrictions on benefits. What I think is needed are more opportunities to give a hand up to people who want it by way of jobs and skills. There are so many single mothers out there who can't get jobs because they don't have skills or don't have reliable transportation or childcare. The dads can't stay employed enough to pay child support. There's no sense in denying children basic food and shelter but the real emphasis should be on how we can help these families NOW who want to be self supporting and get out of poverty.
I don't see how having a mother on birth control hurts her Children she has now? If anything it would help the family not to have more kids. The system now it rewards these people, they see how each child can increase the amount of money they get. My sister in law worked for DES as a social worker she met with these people and about 80% just wanted to collect a check lot of them would show up pregnant every year. One thing they noticed was the kids of these people saw how the system worked many of children that grew up with mothers on welfare also started a family using welfare as their income check.

Then there is the fraud where they are able to convert money they get to buy drugs.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:46 AM

36,769 posts, read 31,056,034 times
This country has moved beyond forcing birth control and sterilization upon its citizens. At one point, and it still may be, there was the welfare to work program that limited the amount of years a person could receive welfare and restricted money for additional children born while on was receiving welfare as well as providing education and job training. I'm not sure why this is not being utilized. This seem like the perfect solution.

It has been shown by states that have implemented drug testing that it does not reduce the amount of welfare expenditures and is not cost effective.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:15 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,588,825 times
I think your should be drug tested & limited to how many children you can have. Some have more kids to get more money & that shouldn't be allowed. Tried of giving those who take advantage of welfare & food stamps money which they can use for things other then food.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 01-22-2015 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Removed icon

Old 01-22-2015, 09:16 AM

4,521 posts, read 5,081,738 times
Yes to both ! I'm sick and tired of so many young women starting a conversation with "I'm a single mother with 2,3,4 kids and --". Maybe you shouldn't have multiple kids if you're single and in most cases, never married. And welfare should not go on and on for years, there should be a time frame for benefits. There certainly are cases where it is necessary, but not over and over in the same family.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:18 AM

26,061 posts, read 22,263,896 times
I don't see it being a possibility to force birth control, unfortunately since one would need to be an imbecile to keep having children that they cannot support, drunk or drugged up enters that picture also but then again that still makes them an imbecile.

I don't think religion would play much part in birth control since anyone truly religious would not be on public assistance having children they could not afford. Accidents? That's a joke! Years ago there were not nearly the number of "accidents" and the options and effectiveness of birth control was much, much less.

Kansas does drug testing or let's say can. Social services need to suspect someone of drug use so it isn't like random drug testing that SO many working people are subject to.

They can't afford childcare? Oh, boo hoo since at one time, I paid 1/3 of my wages, which were low to begin with, to pay for day care for my child but then I was buying junk food, cigarettes, alcohol and drugs. I am SO sick of a lack of personal responsibility. I read that in KS, 48% of the babies are born into poverty but keep in mind that here, the illegals are the only ones that really benefit from doing that since it qualifies their kids for all the benefits, many of which the family benefit from where as they otherwise would not be entitled.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:28 AM

30,687 posts, read 16,335,972 times
I strongly suspect limiting the number of children someone on welfare can have would be, at best, discrimination. You don't tell rich people to top having kids.

I think the solution would be to limit the number of kids the system will support. If you don't get money for another child, it stops being a source of more income.

I don't know how the medical assistance system but if a mother voluntarily wants either birth control and tubal give it to her.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:00 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,909,692 times
It seems that our welfare system is backwards.......we reward women for having more children rather than for not bringing more kids into the world than they can afford to pay for themselves.

I've told this story before. Years ago I was in the loan business and a repeat male customer came in to renew his loan. When I asked why he needed the loan he said he was going to get married and then he said he was going to quit his job ! I asked him why, and he said, because his fiance' has 8 kids, and he said "Do you know how much money she gets a month for 8 kids ? I don't have to work any more !"

My District Manager ok'd the loan because he said it was the most stable income a person can have ! Tell me THAT isn't backwards of the way it should be !

Don

Last edited by Oldhag1; 01-22-2015 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Removed icons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates