U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 01:01 AM

19,711 posts, read 23,321,907 times

Advertisements

When I read of the plight of so many recent law graduates today, I'm surprised they don't turn to noise lawsuits as way of generating income, or are noise lawsuits too challenging, risky to have litigated?

I've been raging against the loud speaker volume on the city buses here in Las Vegas, have put out feelers to various attorney's, but no attorney has contacted me, interested in bring a noise lawsuit against the bus company here.

I did read of a woman who sued someone who kept driving through her neighborhood in Florida with a loud, thumping boom car, but I never did find out if she was successful or not.

I have a friend who works in a facility with their own in-house printing machines which she tries hard to tolerate, the incessant noise every day.

Under Reagan, the noise division of the EPA was all but obliterated, and most people are clueless to the health effects of noise. Any noise changes the chemistry of your body, and loud enough noises can even trigger heart attacks in some people, like a shotgun blast which can generate 130 decibels of sound, 120 decibels being on the threshold of pain!

There's noisy leaf blowers, motorcycles, and there's these super load police helicopters which fly over my house, at night, which can all but awaken the dead!

Sue the police department for flying one of those noisy helicopters over my house?

What do you think? Why aren't there more lawsuits of this nature? And has anyone heard of any noise lawsuits brought about that were successful?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 03:39 AM

6,979 posts, read 4,813,405 times
I think there would be more lawsuits on this issue if it was easy to win them. When people decide to file a suit, the first question they ask themselves is this. What are my chances of winning the suit? If you don't have at least a 25% chance to win, its probably not worth the gamble. Maybe people just feel they would get laughed out of court if they filed a suit because someone's baby cried in a restaurant and ruined their meal (or something of that nature).

Even if people feel they would win a suit, you have to really feel that you would win tens of thousands of dollars in order to pursue it. If i told you that you could get a settlement of 500 bucks by suing a noisemaker, would you file?

It comes down to cost analysis benefit......you gotta really get at least 5k and be pretty sure you're going to win the suit to even consider going thru with it.....its a gamble, a noise lawsuit is not likely to win and most people aren't going to file to file, they need to know they're going to win, have a great chance to win and if they do win, they are going to get an amount of money that makes it worth their while.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:13 AM

7,063 posts, read 11,772,267 times
"Sue the police department for flying one of those noisy helicopters over my house?"

I had to laugh at you for this one. When I saw this I knew you were either trolling or are looking for a payout on a frivolous lawsuit. You'd really want to sue a PD for doing their job with their chopper? Maybe flying trauma patients. Maybe tracking down criminals on the loose in your neighborhood. No telling but certainly they don't lift off and say "let's go hover on this persons house all day"

Old 03-10-2015, 05:15 AM

There's been any number of people who have tried every way possible to get a dog to stop barking in their neighborhoods, to no avail, lots of sleepless nights, and? No other choices, but to move?

According to Noisefree.org, the number 1 reason for relocations is due to issues with noise. I'll bet no one will believe that!

Old 03-10-2015, 11:31 PM

2,411 posts, read 3,353,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
According to Noisefree.org, the number 1 reason for relocations is due to issues with noise. I'll bet no one will believe that!
Of course a website suvch as noisefree.com will say that.

Now how about if I buy a house near an airport or a major highway. Can i sue so I can "generate income"? I mean, those planes are loud!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-12-2015 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: Removed icons

Old 03-11-2015, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
If they were flying trauma patients, they would zoom by and be gone, not circle over and over again.

So maybe they are looking for a criminal. Police helicopters just don't pick a neighborhood and decide to hover for no reason.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Of course a website suvch as noisefree.com will say that.

Now how about if I buy a house near an airport or a major highway. Can i sue so I can "generate income"? I mean, those planes are loud!:
Although it's recently closed down I've lived by a racetrack since 86. I was also a police officer in this same community. They built huge housing developments and people moved in and started complaining about the noise on Wednesday nights and weekends when they ran races. This track was built 50 years before the majority of homes. They also had a noise exemption as long as they were done by a certain time. People were pretty indignant when told there was nothing we could do.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-12-2015 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: Edited quote

Old 03-11-2015, 10:44 AM

16,219 posts, read 26,818,173 times
I agree, there should be a noise law.

Taxpayers deserve a good quality of life.
i have endured a generator from 7am till 6m every day now for the last 3 months as a new house is being built, annoying. especially when they conveniently forget to turn it off at 7 and it runs all night.
not fair

Old 03-11-2015, 01:30 PM

556 posts, read 517,294 times
You need to get a life and some hobbies OP. You are just baiting crap lawsuits on a hope you strike gold. I mean the police helicopter idea may be single hand-idly the stupidest thing I have read on the internet all day and that's saying a lot considering I read the onion.

Motorcycles, loud cars, printing machines??? Please tell me your trolling me!!

Old 03-11-2015, 09:13 PM

When I was seeking out an attorney for my noise lawsuit, I told the prospective attorney I wanted no money from it, he could have it all!

I think there's good reason why Reagan all but obliterated the Noise department of the EPA, for fear of potential noise lawsuits.

In lieu of lawsuits, stiffer fines?

Communities, all across the country, have singled out loud, thumping boom cars, and in some jurisdictions, the fines have soared to $3,000, and even jail terms!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-13-2015 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Removed icons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates