Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 12:12 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
I like the ... or should beginning of your post. I don't know that the victim escalated the situation. If a person is unarmed why is deadly force required? The officers should be protecting the community and they don't seem to be but the killings exist. Cops cannot let potential violators walk away but shooting them is extreme if you believe a person is innocent until proven guilty and that is the law that appears to be ignored.

I see a more global issue. Holder sees the issues in the Ferguson police department. People have been profiled. It's being suggested there be a revamping there. It takes walking while black and an overzealous officer (and dept.) to create issues. They really don't begin, I don't think, with just one person.

I don't know that I care that "certain communities are tired of hearing about the plight ..." If no plight continues to exist, the problems would likely partially go away.

We can't erase bigotry or racism but I think through education, we can learn better how not to exacerbate the issues (if people want to do that).

Well thought out, excellent contribution to this discussion!

Old 03-12-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Judging by the various forums that expressed views on this subject whites are sick and tired of it. I know I am. But I am also wondering how many blacks are getting sick of it because some blacks see through the whole racism business with all its tensions and they must be getting sick of it also.

They are. It's been years. In New York in particular there were many of these shootings that were not justified. No way in the world a sane individual can not see the correlation. They simply choose not to.

Eric Garner
Amadou Diallo
Abner Louima
Sean Bell
Baez case
Akai Girly (NYCHA situation/most recent in NYC)

None of these warranted a police officer shooting. Not one.

No one group can control what members of their group does (illegally). Whites, Hispanics, Asians in the US know that we have to let our entire justice system work the way its supposed to. This is the United States!

I'm am flabbergasted every time I hear someone say Blacks should be more concerned about Blacks killing each other. However, I never hear the same sentiment for other ethnic groups (including Whites). Fact: Crime is not as cross racial as it is by race on race. The vast majority of crime committed is against an individual of the same race. Blacks kill Blacks. Whites Kill Whites and so on.

The law abiding citizens of the Black and White communities don't want a police state. Blacks have been living in one while they shop, drive, walk down a street.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
(We were overtaxed in NY - we moved! The hierarchy comes from within the city first then flows down. Too many police have proven over and over again they profile and mistreat people. They're the ones who are obviously not but should be trained professionals. Ferguson is working on changing their department.

Yes, particularly in NYC. This historical and factual. It is what it is....

Old 03-12-2015, 12:53 PM

685 posts, read 721,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Everyones lives matter equally. Its those who break the law that take their lives into their own hands. Unfortunately those that view the situation from outside tend to view the color of the skin vs the crime committed.
Yes, "... those that view the situation outside tend to view the color of the skin ...," is what more typically happens. That means some shooting and officers judge a situation by emotions rather than logic and that should put any officer who shoots in jail. If you want to be cop, you have to follow the law and too many aren't. This is ridiculous. What century is this ... the first AD?

Old 03-12-2015, 02:52 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Knight View Post
Black lives DO matter! Especially to other blacks who lose their loved ones.
Just because white people don't protest being killed by police does in no way make it wrong for Black Lives Matter signs.
The whole problem in the USA is that since the civil war, groups and societies formed based on racism and grew larger and larger as the hate was spread by religious groups such as Mormons and other exclusionary groups.
I still remember "White Only" signs and the yellow line on buses.
Politicians grew their platforms on racism and through various publications have kept the racism growing by pushing the issue ever since. Media is in their heyday now making tons of advertising profit by pushing side against side - stirring the pot as it boils.

What this poster said.

I am white and I am not tired of the slogan "Black Lived Matter" - they matter to me.

Here's what I am tired of - dead black young people. Lived nipped in the bud. A defenseless older man beaten mercilessly while pleading for his life. These are the things that I am tired of hearing about.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:44 PM

685 posts, read 721,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
And that's why this "black lives matter" nonsense is just that -- nonsense. It suggests that one type of life matters and others don't, which is a direct outgrowth of the identity politics that balkanizes us into little groups, rather than uniting us.

Blacks are targeted by cops, but so are other groups. The media and certain race-baiters continue to try to frame this as a racial problem, but it's far bigger than that. Police militarization is the problem. SWAT raids on innocent families, excessive force, the unnecessary escalation of delicate situations, cops who treat the public as an enemy to be subdued rather than a group of people to protect, a private prison system that insists on bed quotas at all costs -- these are all much larger systemic problems that aren't being addressed because too many people want the public to continue to focus on race, and nothing but race.

All lives matter.
Absolutely yes I agree to everything you stated. I particularly enjoy how you refer to it as a systemic problem (not being addressed). Of course this is what's going on and why people don't understand that is beyond me.
You may be able to change my views but I am not the problem. It's pretty much society's view on people different from them.

The private prisons remain in business unfairly because the system is unjust. It's flooded with non-white and people who can't afford to stay out of jail unlike the rich who hire lawyers. Thanks, Adrian71! Private jails are alive and well and milking us as usual.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:58 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
I like the ... or should beginning of your post. I don't know that the victim escalated the situation. If a person is unarmed why is deadly force required? The officers should be protecting the community and they don't seem to be but the killings exist. Cops cannot let potential violators walk away but shooting them is extreme if you believe a person is innocent until proven guilty and that is the law that appears to be ignored.

I see a more global issue. Holder sees the issues in the Ferguson police department. People have been profiled. It's being suggested there be a revamping there. It takes walking while black and an overzealous officer (and dept.) to create issues. They really don't begin, I don't think, with just one person.

I don't know that I care that "certain communities are tired of hearing about the plight ..." If no plight continues to exist, the problems would likely partially go away.

We can't erase bigotry or racism but I think through education, we can learn better how not to exacerbate the issues (if people want to do that).
This is the essense of the problem. It isn't that 'black' lives matter, but ALL do. When incidents of police over reactions happen, and the victum is black, all you see is black man killed by cops. That isn't the problem at the core. The problem is that cops today are trained like they are on the front line, and out there be enemies waiting. Its a quandry because they need to be armed to deal with the worse, and there are very bad worse. We don't want gangs running our cities and streets anymore than we want over zelous cops shooting when they might not have to. But we condition cops to fight a war, and they fight a war.

So what we need to do is stop saying 'black' man/woman shot by police and say Man/woman shot. Leave race out of it. It may or may not play into the reality, but make it part of an individual circumstance. Let the victum be a human being, not a symbol.

I think many whites who do not trust the cops are equally tired of hearing how the cops shoot black people. Its not that they don't care about the shootings but they'd like to see the big picture, and pointing a finger at the victum and saying black guy instead of guy takes that away.

If the guy was armed and threaten and made a move or attacked the cop then they don't deserve the heu and cry, since they should know better. Admit there are black bullies and white bullies and assorted other varieties, and if there was justification then its not the same as if circumstances were different. Admit that individuals have responsibility. If a kid takes the orange tip off his air rifle, and in a tense situation points at a cop and acts as if he's shooting, then the KID shares blame. They aren't toddlers and they should know there is a reason why the orange piece is there. And they also should know where and when its appropriate to be carrying it around, and when its a bad one and it should be at home. If a person physically attacks a cop, no matter why, then be aware that its a mistake and there will be bad concequences.

In the end, the problem is not about 'black' people but about how we've converted the neighborhood cop into a soldier and how it is showing playing out. If we deal with this then we deal with the black people who say they don't matter and the others who have the sense to avoid making the cop go into combat mode. If we wrap it up in skin colors then we'll never get to dealing with the core.

Yes, black lives matter, but so do all others and if people what to protest, protest the core of the problem because even more, HUMAN lives matter.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:09 PM

387 posts, read 589,474 times
as a scientist, i chant "Black Matter Lives"

Old 03-12-2015, 08:02 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,629,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNHot75 View Post
I personally do not care for the "Black Lives Matter" chant. My reasoning is that if they truly cared about black lives than they would protest blacks killing blacks and not the the few times a few criminal thugs get wasted because they did not follow a cop's instructions and got aggressive. To me a criminal of any race that does not follow police instructions and attacks them deserves to be dealt with.
I don't care for it either, to me it seem like it's saying that they are the only ones that matter.

How about signs that say ALL lives matter?

Old 03-12-2015, 08:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
If it was about black lifes mattering they would be march every weekend in places like Chicago. This is street thugs and anarchist as seen many times in past. No more than ISIS represents Muslim reglion or even Saddam did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates