Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:54 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times

Advertisements

It's all emotion now. Facts never get in the way.

Fact, twice as many whites were killed as blacks last year by cops. google it
Fact, you never hear a word about the whites who were killed by black cops last year, let alone a riot.
Fact, 30-40 young blacks are killed monthly in Chicago. Not a word is spoken by the President, Holder, or Shapton
Fact, Sharpton, the President, and Holder stirred it up in Ferguson and Florida after Travon Martin was shot
Fact, the Grand Jury AND the DOJ cleared the cop in Ferguson. and no apology is forthcoming even though the cop was found innocent
Fact, Darren Wilson's career is over, and he is a wanted man
Fact, blacks believe what they want to believe and take no accountability for the crimes committed in Ferguson, and they get a pass. The media, outside of Fox? Silent. Despite the clearing of Wilson by the DOJ
Fact, there are blacks in Ferguson who are happy two cops got shot.
Fact, it will not improve
Fact, race relations haven't been this bad since the 60's
Fact, the race card is played so much no one hears it anymore
Fact, Michael Brown charged the cop AFTER he robbed and assaulted the owner of the convenience store, AFTER HE WRESTLED FOR Wilson's gun, fought him for it and ran away temporarily, and blacks say he was gunned down wantonly
Fact, travon Martin assaulted that goofy guy Zimmerman. While goofy, he was not breaking the law. Travon assaulted him, tried to bash his skull in and THEN got shot by the KeL-Tec PF9 he was carrying and that per castle doctrine, was perfectly legal.
Fact, blacks are routinely racist towards whites and you hear nothing. YouTube the videos. No press coverage.

Despite all of this, they are the victim, always. And that is why no one is listening anymore.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:53 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,106 times
Black lives do matter. All life matters. The sooner we start seeing everyone, regardless of ethnicity, nationality, etc as equals, the sooner we can move on and just become a world that accepts everyone as a member of the human race that deserves to be treated with equality and respect.

But about people saying "Black lives matter unless it has to deal with black on black crime":

Do you realize (of course not, you don't live this life) how many blacks suffer in silence as their family, friends, neighbors, etc are being destroyed by black on black violence? Does this suddenly mean their lives don't matter? How many people would listen if a black person were to stand forth and say, "We need help. Black on black crime is serious, but please don't assume we're all the same." No one. The message would be twisted. Misconstrued. How do I know? The message now is already being misconstrued and blacks are asking for nothing more than to be seen as equals and to not be stereotyped.

They did a study where they made lighter skinned participants have, in virtual reality, darker skin. The participants were more sympathetic to blacks when they gave them scenarios that blacks deal with. When they were lighter skinned, they weren't as sympathetic - and this is the ONLY reason there is even this debate and arguing.

Lighter skinned/non blacks have no sympathy and thus cannot relate and continue to argue about matters like these, but if they JUST had some sympathy, they'd see there is an issue - just as they did in that study. Sad, isn't it? It takes virtual reality for non blacks to see the issue.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:38 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,089 times
Do black lives matter? Of course they do. All lives matter. Racism is alive in well in this Country because the Black community, not all of them but a vast majority of them want it to be that way. They're actions speak as louder then the black lives matters cant. Problem is that the racism card has been so over played that people have and will continue to tune them out and chances are the violence will just increase. It's like a child that isn't getting what it want's. The child will begin to go to extremes for attention. But since the media loves these stories they will always have coverage, further inciting race relations.

Someone else also mentioned how tone deaf the Police have become, and I agree. The cops have become to reactive and not proactive and the militarization of the cops is problematic moving forward. If there is to be a real discussion about the issues then both sides need to be put on the table. The black community needs to change, and the cops need to change too.

Every week we see situations were the cops are justified in their actions and we see just as many situations were the cops actions are questionable at best, if not a complete abuse of authority. It's a slippery slope that needs to be addressed.

Last edited by The Thomas J; 03-12-2015 at 10:56 PM..

Old 03-12-2015, 10:51 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
They are. It's been years. In New York in particular there were many of these shootings that were not justified. No way in the world a sane individual can not see the correlation. They simply choose not to.

Eric Garner
Amadou Diallo
Abner Louima
Sean Bell
Baez case
Akai Girly (NYCHA situation/most recent in NYC)

None of these warranted a police officer shooting. Not one.

No one group can control what members of their group does (illegally). Whites, Hispanics, Asians in the US know that we have to let our entire justice system work the way its supposed to. This is the United States!

I'm am flabbergasted every time I hear someone say Blacks should be more concerned about Blacks killing each other. However, I never hear the same sentiment for other ethnic groups (including Whites). Fact: Crime is not as cross racial as it is by race on race. The vast majority of crime committed is against an individual of the same race. Blacks kill Blacks. Whites Kill Whites and so on.

The law abiding citizens of the Black and White communities don't want a police state. Blacks have been living in one while they shop, drive, walk down a street.
Eric Garner wasn't shot by the police.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:16 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Personally, I'm WAY turned off at the "black lives matter" movement. My exact sentiments have been echoed here, by a lot of others. Perpetual victim hood, is what I see. Just a reason to act out, violently, perpetuating that which is supposed to be the enemy. Hate, based on skin tone. The "cause" is not about justice and equality, its simple justification, of hate.

The slogan is all over the place. Bumper stickers, T shirts, you name it. When I'm out and about, in town.and I see someone sporting that slogan, I avoid them like smallpox. Its like we are all walking on eggshells, because IG you even just appear to have any disapproval it could , easily, get you jumped. I head the other direction when I see that saying, or hear it. That's the effect it has on me.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:17 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
They are. It's been years. In New York in particular there were many of these shootings that were not justified. No way in the world a sane individual can not see the correlation. They simply choose not to.

Eric Garner
Amadou Diallo
Abner Louima
Sean Bell
Baez case
Akai Girly (NYCHA situation/most recent in NYC)

None of these warranted a police officer shooting. Not one.

No one group can control what members of their group does (illegally). Whites, Hispanics, Asians in the US know that we have to let our entire justice system work the way its supposed to. This is the United States!

I'm am flabbergasted every time I hear someone say Blacks should be more concerned about Blacks killing each other. However, I never hear the same sentiment for other ethnic groups (including Whites). Fact: Crime is not as cross racial as it is by race on race. The vast majority of crime committed is against an individual of the same race. Blacks kill Blacks. Whites Kill Whites and so on.

The law abiding citizens of the Black and White communities don't want a police state. Blacks have been living in one while they shop, drive, walk down a street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What this poster said.

I am white and I am not tired of the slogan "Black Lived Matter" - they matter to me.

Here's what I am tired of - dead black young people. Lived nipped in the bud. A defenseless older man beaten mercilessly while pleading for his life. These are the things that I am tired of hearing about.
And this white person agrees with you. All those killings Ernie G. listed were unjustified. They made me understand what institutionalized racism is. A black man in the shadow of a doorway reaches for his wallet and gets blown away because police automatically assumed he was reaching for a gun. There's a huge problem there.

Malcolm Gladwell discussed the Amadou Diallo killing in his book, Blink. It gave an insight as to how the police officers' mindset got them to the position where shooting was their first reaction. It's not helpful just to blather about all those racist police officers. The problem is deeper than that, psychologically, and it has to be dug out, exposed, and changed.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-13-2015 at 07:26 AM..

Old 03-13-2015, 08:34 AM

1,293 posts, read 1,217,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
It's all emotion now. Facts never get in the way.

Did you know that it was "not" Blacks who came up with the "Title" for this movement?

Fact, twice as many whites were killed as blacks last year by cops. google it
Since YOU state it, it is up to YOU to back it up!

Fact, you never hear a word about the whites who were killed by black cops last year, let alone a riot.

Please also back this up. As it is Blacks are a much smaller percentage of our Nation's law enforcement

Fact, 30-40 young blacks are killed monthly in Chicago. Not a word is spoken by the President, Holder, or Shapton

It's not about crime committed by other individuals (civilians) it's about crime committed by our law enforcement agents who should follow the letter of the law, the way they expect us to.

Fact, Sharpton, the President, and Holder stirred it up in Ferguson and Florida after Travon Martin was shot

Fact, the Grand Jury AND the DOJ cleared the cop in Ferguson. and no apology is forthcoming even though the cop was found innocent

Fact, Darren Wilson's career is over, and he is a wanted man

Fact, blacks believe what they want to believe and take no accountability for the crimes committed in Ferguson, and they get a pass. The media, outside of Fox? Silent. Despite the clearing of Wilson by the DOJ

Fact, there are blacks in Ferguson who are happy two cops got shot.
There are Whites who are over joyed everytime the big bad black man is killed.

Fact, it will not improve
No, it won't improves long as everything by Black men are scrutinized through a White lens of hatred.

Fact, race relations haven't been this bad since the 60's
I agree here. And they said Obama was Black America's savior.....pffffft.

Fact, the race card is played so much no one hears it anymore
Yes people hear it. Thus, the reason so many other whites and ethnicities actually created this movement along with Blacks.

Fact, Michael Brown charged the cop AFTER he robbed and assaulted the owner of the convenience store, AFTER HE WRESTLED FOR Wilson's gun, fought him for it and ran away temporarily, and blacks say he was gunned down wantonly

Fact Eric Garner had no weapon and was threat to no one! Nor was Sean Bell, nor was Akai Gurley, nor was Amadou Diallo, nor was Abner Louima. Fact: Trayvon Martin committed no crime but George Zimmerman is not law enforcement.

Fact, travon Martin assaulted that goofy guy Zimmerman. While goofy, he was not breaking the law. Travon assaulted him, tried to bash his skull in and THEN got shot by the KeL-Tec PF9 he was carrying and that per castle doctrine, was perfectly legal.

Fact, blacks are routinely racist towards whites and you hear nothing. YouTube the videos. No press coverage.

Blacks can not oppress Whites. So therefore, Blacks can only be bias and prejudiced. THEY CAN NOT BE RACISTS. You should learn the difference between the meanings. Blacks have History with White America that cuts deep. Did you forget that?

Despite all of this, they are the victim, always. And that is why no one is listening anymore.
Come and try again.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And this white person agrees with you. All those killings Ernie G. listed were unjustified. They made me understand what institutionalized racism is. A black man in the shadow of a doorway reaches for his wallet and gets blown away because police automatically assumed he was reaching for a gun. There's a huge problem there.

Malcolm Gladwell discussed the Amadou Diallo killing in his book, Blink. It gave an insight as to how the police officers' mindset got them to the position where shooting was their first reaction. It's not helpful just to blather about all those racist police officers. The problem is deeper than that, psychologically, and it has to be dug out, exposed, and changed.
Thank you.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Do black lives matter? Of course they do. All lives matter. Racism is alive in well in this Country because the Black community, not all of them but a vast majority of them want it to be that way. They're actions speak as louder then the black lives matters cant. Problem is that the racism card has been so over played that people have and will continue to tune them out and chances are the violence will just increase. It's like a child that isn't getting what it want's. The child will begin to go to extremes for attention. But since the media loves these stories they will always have coverage, further inciting race relations.

Someone else also mentioned how tone deaf the Police have become, and I agree. The cops have become to reactive and not proactive and the militarization of the cops is problematic moving forward. If there is to be a real discussion about the issues then both sides need to be put on the table. The black community needs to change, and the cops need to change too.

Every week we see situations were the cops are justified in their actions and we see just as many situations were the cops actions are questionable at best, if not a complete abuse of authority. It's a slippery slope that needs to be addressed.
You too are misinformed and you live in New York. This whole movement (nationwide) got much more "status" because Whites inserted themselves into this debate. Whites began the signs to tell the rest of America that Black lives matter. Not Blacks. Sit back and look at the faces of those who are at the forefront of this movement.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:55 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
You too are misinformed and you live in New York. This whole movement (nationwide) got much more "status" because Whites inserted themselves into this debate. Whites began the signs to tell the rest of America that Black lives matter. Not Blacks. Sit back and look at the faces of those who are at the forefront of this movement.
And that's the way it works. Slavery ended because white people ended it. Civil rights happened because white people championed it. We are the majority. If we don't speak up against injustice, it will continue because the minority won't be heard by themselves.

I'm not big on slogans, personally, because they do wear thin and people will turn a deaf ear.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-13-2015 at 09:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates