Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 11:20 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,519,536 times

Advertisements

You seem to have an unchangeable paradigm that you call "anti-establishment." Personally, I think this sounds a bit juvenile like a teenager rebelling against the big bad authority figures.

I take each situation individually. Neither corporations nor the "little guy" are right 100% of the time in every situation. If one chooses to take a side based on a personal paradigm and ignore the basic facts of a particular situation, then...what is there to discuss? Your mind is made up.

Closed minds are problematic on all sides of any issue.

It's funny. People complain about the state of the world. Yet they engage in the very behavior that created the current social/economic/political climate.

"Us vs them" thinking rarely yields anything positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 04:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,570,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
There's a thread on this website about a guy who had 30k mistakenly put into his account from a bank....so the guy spent the money and now he's facing criminal charges. I'm not a person who sticks up for the 'establishment' i'm one who would say that if the guy got the money, he should keep it and the bank should have to eat their mistake. I'd stick up for the 'little guy' because big companies shouldn't be allowed to make mistakes and then not pay a penalty for their error.

Another story in the news is about a guy who had a million dollar lottery ticket and he lost the ticket even though he was identified as the winner....i say pay the guy his money. Are you a person who would stick up for the lottery company (the establishment) or would you be a person who would stick up for the guy who lost his ticket?

I'm not an establishment guy, i'd almost always stick up for the "little guy", what "side" do you normally find yourself on?

No sorry, a mistake on a deposit doesn't mean the kid gets to keep the money. Say you own a company and you send a guy a check for $30,000 instead of 3,000. Should he get to keep the money? After all you made the mistake.

What do the rules of the lottery say? You must be in posession if the winning lotto ticket to claim prize. So do you ir do you not have the ticket. The problem with giving the guy the money even though he was the winner in a video sets a precedence so now what about all the other people that lost their tickets?
They can't bend the rules for one guy. I mean what about the responsibility of the person to make sure he follows the rules correctly to claim a prize. I mean why bother having rules then.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:49 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 6 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,603,799 times
Quote:
There's a thread on this website about a guy who had 30k mistakenly put into his account from a bank....so the guy spent the money and now he's facing criminal charges. I'm not a person who sticks up for the 'establishment' i'm one who would say that if the guy got the money, he should keep it and the bank should have to eat their mistake. I'd stick up for the 'little guy' because big companies shouldn't be allowed to make mistakes and then not pay a penalty for their error.
The average person simply cannot believe that $30K simply popping up in their account when they did nothing to earn that money is anything but "too good to be true" matter. Unless this guy has an enormous amount of money passing through his hands or accounts every day (i.e. online bond, stock, or other kinds of derivatives trader) there is no reason to believe he sincerely thought that all that $30K legitimately was his. Were I on the jury, I would not find him Not Guilty barring extraordinary circumstances.

And in the next line, you completely contradict yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid
Another story in the news is about a guy who had a million dollar lottery ticket and he lost the ticket even though he was identified as the winner....i say pay the guy his money. Are you a person who would stick up for the lottery company (the establishment) or would you be a person who would stick up for the guy who lost his ticket?
What makes this guy's mistake any more legitimate than the bank employee's mistake of placing $30K? Or alternately, what makes the bank employee's mistake any less legitimate than this guy's mistake? Both are cases of misplacing large amounts of money (effectively money in the case of the lotto ticket, but still close enough to make no difference).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid
I'm not an establishment guy, i'd almost always stick up for the "little guy", what "side" do you normally find yourself on?
Establishment or little guy is not the issue. As anybody whose spent lots of times around "little people" know, "little people" are no less prone to dishonest, hurtful, or hateful behavior than "Establishment" types.
So we're left with honesty and trust among our citizens, regardless of socio-economic status.

(well, actually I was around people no richer than the small town doctor, lawyer, and barge company owner, but poor people up to the said group of people IS a wide enough sample of the population so that we can reasonably extrapolate to REAL "Establishment" types).

Old 03-21-2015, 05:54 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,376,919 times
I am on the little guy's side.

But $30,000... no way. He knew he was stealing.

Even though I don't like WalMart, I don't think people should be able to just walk in and take a TV set.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:11 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,713,679 times
Thank you for the replies ladies and gents, much appreciated.

I see most of you are "against" the guy who got the 30k....let me ask you this...do you think its "ok" for banks to hold money from the public without giving them 1 penny of simple interest? They're getting to borrow that money for free, billions of dollars for free.....but when you want a loan, they run you thru the ringer, they judge you and charge you ...all of a sudden, its not free anymore.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I am on the little guy's side.

But $30,000... no way. He knew he was stealing.

Even though I don't like WalMart, I don't think people should be able to just walk in and take a TV set.
So what's the punishment for the bank for the mistake? Recently on American Greed i heard about a woman who got a loan and bought a stolen car.....so, the police came and took the car back but never gave her her money back and she got stuck paying the loan....she made a mistake and bought a car from a crook, but she lost 100 pct of her investment, she paid dearly for her mistake...but what did the bank pay for their mistake depositing 30k in this guy's account? Are we just going to say that they're allowed to make a mistake and not have to pay a penalty for it? No sanctions or fines or anything?

Old 03-25-2015, 10:54 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,592,952 times
Quote:

I'm not establishment at all. I hate most corporations and elites who get away with things. I've become quite radicalized and believe "The Man" gets away with far too much. But in the case of that bank accidentally depositing $30,000 into a man's bank account, while they made a mistake, spending the money was clearly a bad thing to do for the man in question. He knew it wasn't his money. So he knowingly spent money that he hadn't won or earned, knowing a mistake was made, and thinks he's entitled to it.

Now, if it were a small amount that he hadn't noticed, like maybe he was depositing his paycheck and received $50 too much or something, then I could see it being okay to spend it. The person could legitimately plead ignorance and probably shouldn't have to pay it back.

But $30,000? Come on.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:57 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,592,952 times
Quote:
So what's the punishment for the bank for the mistake? Recently on American Greed i heard about a woman who got a loan and bought a stolen car.....so, the police came and took the car back but never gave her her money back and she got stuck paying the loan....she made a mistake and bought a car from a crook, but she lost 100 pct of her investment, she paid dearly for her mistake...but what did the bank pay for their mistake depositing 30k in this guy's account? Are we just going to say that they're allowed to make a mistake and not have to pay a penalty for it? No sanctions or fines or anything?
In order for society to survive, we need to operate in good faith whenever we can. The stolen car situation is different because what are the police supposed to do? They don't have the cash to pay back the person who bought the stolen car. The best the person can hope for is to sue the thief and try to regain some of the investment. The police had nothing to do with the transaction.

In the bank's case, an accident was made, probably one that could be rectified quickly, and a person took advantage of the mistake instead of operating in good faith. Had he not spent the money, no one would have been hurt. I'm not sure why the bank needs to be "punished" for the mistake. They didn't commit a crime.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:13 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,087,127 times
I hope you don't have children to teach your sense of "morals" to.

Because a bank made a mistake, they should have to eat it? You talk about little guys. Who does the bank employ? Little guys like you and me who work for a living.

Right is right and wrong is wrong no matter who is the big guy or little guy.

With your logic, we should go commie style, take away all the money from the rich and give it to the government because we all know they won't squander it!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-25-2015 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Removed icons

Old 03-25-2015, 01:20 PM

My general point is this. If a bank or a big company makes a mistake, they just get to say oops and there's no harm to them, no foul, no punishment, no fine and no suspension (if applicable).

If Joe Blow makes a mistake, he eats it, like the woman who bought the stolen car in good faith. She ate her mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates