Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 04:52 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,870 times

Advertisements

There's a thread on this website about a guy who had 30k mistakenly put into his account from a bank....so the guy spent the money and now he's facing criminal charges. I'm not a person who sticks up for the 'establishment' i'm one who would say that if the guy got the money, he should keep it and the bank should have to eat their mistake. I'd stick up for the 'little guy' because big companies shouldn't be allowed to make mistakes and then not pay a penalty for their error.

Another story in the news is about a guy who had a million dollar lottery ticket and he lost the ticket even though he was identified as the winner....i say pay the guy his money. Are you a person who would stick up for the lottery company (the establishment) or would you be a person who would stick up for the guy who lost his ticket?

I'm not an establishment guy, i'd almost always stick up for the "little guy", what "side" do you normally find yourself on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 06:33 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
I hardly ever stick up for the little guy. All I usually see them do is want something for nothing or wanting to sue.

Big business is owned by lots of little guys. Lawsuits raise prices for little guys. Big business employs little guys.

Remember when someone says "soak the rich" the middle class gets wet.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:11 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,205 times
Have to agree with thinkalot. To many "little guys" supposedly screwed over by "the man" really just want a handout and not have to earn anything because that would require them to actually have to work.

As far as the deposit in the guys bank account the guy should've said something and yes I view it as his fault. In the US if you find a suit case with 3 million dollars in it lying in a ditch by law it's not your money and if you spend it and that money was found to have been stolen from someone you will go to prison over it.

As far as the lottery winner who lost the ticket goes well that sucks but the guy shouldn't have lost the ticket.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:16 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I hardly ever stick up for the little guy. All I usually see them do is want something for nothing or wanting to sue.

Big business is owned by lots of little guys. Lawsuits raise prices for little guys. Big business employs little guys.

Remember when someone says "soak the rich" the middle class gets wet.
Actually no its not. Who Owns the Stock Market? (AMZN, BRK-B, DELL.DL, GOOGL, WMT)

10% of households hold 80% of the stock market. Not exactly lots of little guys....

Old 03-18-2015, 08:05 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,998 times
I'm all for sticking up for the little guy, but he spent $30,000 that was not his. If it was just $1,000, I wouldn't care. But I would never spend $30,000 if it just appeared. Even if it's the companies mistake, that definitely theft. I don't normally stick up for the big guys, but in this case, a little guy who could easily be one of the people who think corporations steal basically just still $30,000. Rather or not it was his fault he got the money, I find it hard to believe he didn't notice that $30,000 just appeared in his account (and if he had enough money for that $30,000 to actually go unnoticed, he's not a 'little guy').

Old 03-18-2015, 02:00 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
I do find that I am almost always on the anti-establishment side. The guy should not be facing criminal charges, but it's not like he didn't know the money wasn't his.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:05 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
If you get extra money in your account and think it's yours, maybe you aren't bright enough to have a bank account! That's stealing, pure and simple.

Whether it's from a corporation, or individual...doesn't matter! YOU know when something is NOT yours! That's how you need to think about things....

Old 03-18-2015, 08:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
No; I am person like everyone who relies on the top 10% for most government funding and then for living. Most of those anti business are certainly not the ones I want running anything really. I think we see what happens when unqualified people are given leadership roles in many cities. Corruption and mismanagement starts to rule.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
For me it's not the establishment against the little guy, but rather right or wrong. The guy with the bank error knew he didn't really have that money and should not have spent it. I would have expected him to contact the bank to report the error, and hope that the bank would have rewarded his honesty with some kind of reasonable reward, such as $100. In the case of the lottery winner, I can't see giving away a prize without proof of him being the winner, since no doubt that is in the rules.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:41 AM

1,293 posts, read 1,217,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
Have to agree with thinkalot. To many "little guys" supposedly screwed over by "the man" really just want a handout and not have to earn anything because that would require them to actually have to work.

As far as the deposit in the guys bank account the guy should've said something and yes I view it as his fault. In the US if you find a suit case with 3 million dollars in it lying in a ditch by law it's not your money and if you spend it and that money was found to have been stolen from someone you will go to prison over it.

As far as the lottery winner who lost the ticket goes well that sucks but the guy shouldn't have lost the ticket.
Interesting. At one point does the notion that something "found" can be considered owned by the finder?

Anyway, in this instance the young man didn't "find" the money it was mistakenly put in his account. He has some responsibility in the matter. Not that I care to stick up for a bank, but yeah he has to mitigate his damages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates