Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:05 PM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Several years ago reading about the different reactions of whites and blacks: If a white couple were in a restaurant and the server seemed to ignore them, the couple assumed it was just poor service, but a black couple would be thinking it was because they were black. So this has been going on a longtime, it's nothing recent.
I agree and gave you rep points for your post.

Far too often people raised with racial chips on their shoulders assume any unfriendly attitudes they receive are because of racism. They never stop to think the person they are dealing with is an idiot that treats whites with the same contempt.
Now blacks and other minorities that do not have to carry those racial chips around, realize life is tough, and they are not going to be held back regardless of whether the person is a jerk or a racist.

Sadly, Barack Obama and Eric Holder have been the most racially divisive president and attorney general in my lifetime.
Instead of being a post racial president(whatever he meant by that), he has stuck his nose into every local and state issue involving race("acted stupidly", "if I had a son", "keep pressing on", etc.) and guess what, he and Holder always come down in favor of "their people".
Every time, they have been on the wrong side of the issue, and injected themselves well before all the facts were in. It mattered not to them, because their racial chips made them view the incidents from a biased myopic racial lens.
Obama & Co have single handedly set racial relations backward at least a decade, maybe more.

`

Old 03-18-2015, 06:15 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
I heard on the radio today that the CEO of Starbucks had sent out word for the barristas to begin initiating discussion with customers about race relations in hope of improving attitudes. I've never been in a Starbucks, but the whole idea doesn't sound like something that would work.

So far as racism from both sides. It is always said that coming from blacks it isn't racism, which doesn't seem right. If it's racism one way it should be racism both ways. I think it is much worse than it's ever been and the president is partly to blame for becoming involved in these highly publicized situations involving young black males and police or neighborhood watch people, like Zimmerman. The president was way out of line for making comments.

Edit: Vector1, I was writing and didn't see your post until submitting mine. LOL Thanks.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:46 PM

905 posts, read 791,109 times
All the time. I've all but stopped listening. Sure some of it is legit but so much of it is not that the legit stuff is just drowned out sometimes. Gratuitous divisiveness does nobody any good.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:33 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
I think we should scream racists because of that rap stuff but the white house doesn't think it is a two way street. After looking at the violence in Missouri and places like Oakland, CA who would want to work or live near that kind of violence. It is just plain common sense.

I have never allowed anyone to put that claim of "white guilt" on me and neither should anyone else!

Last edited by Heidi60; 03-18-2015 at 09:45 PM..

Old 03-18-2015, 09:45 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I think we are all aware that racism does exist in this country.

Thoughts?
Yep. When I was working in an ICU, I walked into a patient room and he was not breathing. There was a black nurse assistant in the room, I immediately grabbed the ambu bag and started bagging and told the nurse assistant to get the nurses. About a week later the head nurse called me into her office. The nurse assistant cried racism since I told her to get help. The head nurse acknowledge I did what I should do and said she had to pull me in. I couldn't believe it. What the hell business did that nurse assistant have working in a hospital with that pathetic attitude?

Old 03-18-2015, 09:51 PM

362 posts, read 543,924 times
My 15 year-old likes to jokingly call everything racist. For example, if I say, "Sweetie, go feed the dog," he'll reply, "That's racist," to which I reply, "I can't be racist, I'm a minority."

I'm not sure if this is actually true, but I heard somewhere that minorities can't be racist, so if it puts my kid in his place, I'm running with it. It's all really stupid, actually, but my example does point out how frivolously the race card is played nowadays. We've gotten to the point where we've become desensitized to it, so that when a real issue of racism arises, it'll probably just be ignored--much like the boy who cried wolf.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:56 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
This whole "race" thing has been taken to the extreme.
But it wasn't when those of color were being lynched, drug behind cars, mercilessly strung up on buildings, thrown in internment camps, forced to walk thousand of miles, a whole civilization nearly wiped out, etc for it. It wasn't too extreme then?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-19-2015 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: Removed icon

Old 03-19-2015, 12:11 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
To answer the question: Yes, of course it happens. But of course there is also real racism. I think any reasonable person would know that. Since blatant racism isn't nearly as common as in the past, sometimes it's hard to tell whether someone is being racist, or there's something else at play. The only person that would know for sure would be the supposed offending party, and even then, sometimes it can be subconscious racism. Ex. if someone refuse to rent an apartment to someone else of a different race, it's quite possible it has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with race, or race plays a part but wasn't the deciding factor in the rejection. I do think, because of history, minorities, at least in the US, are more likely to feel negative treatment would be due to racism than whites. Regarding subtle, possibly racist incidents, it's very understandable to see different people of different backgrounds coming to different conclusions on whether the incident was racist or not. I think whether you think racism is overblown largely depends on your background.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:54 AM

387 posts, read 356,337 times
Every group has been discriminated against at one point in time in history and that has no bearing on whether or not one can be racist....My ancestors are from Italy and Greece (neither of which were ever involved in the Slave Trade)...does that mean I CAN'T be racist? Since none of my ancestors ever oppressed Blacks in any way shape or form? ....I can be racist just as much as any White with British or French or Dutch or Portuguese ancestry (the European Slave trading nations) can be....Same goes for Blacks being racist towards Whites or other groups.....ANYONE can be racist towards any other group and anyone who thinks differently is just some Left wing fool who has no understanding of real history......

Italy while not involved in the Slave trade did colonize a few African countries later on (in the scramble for Africa)....Greece not only was never involved in the Atlantic Slave Trade, but they also never colonized any African country period....In fact Greece was colonized by Arab Turks for nearly 350 years....Greece was colonized for a much longer period of time (1500-1832) than ANY African country was ever colonized by Western Europeans.

So I guess that my Greek mother can just go around throwing out N-Bombs whenever she likes since her ancestry has never oppressed Blacks (same logic Blacks use when they claim they can't be racist to Whites).....

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-20-2015 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: language

Old 03-19-2015, 02:01 AM

387 posts, read 356,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
But it wasn't when those of color were being lynched, drug behind cars, mercilessly strung up on buildings, thrown in internment camps, forced to walk thousand of miles, a whole civilization nearly wiped out, etc for it. It wasn't too extreme then?

Happened to every race/group on earth...Like I said Greece (a "white" European country) was colonized by Arab Turks for nearly 350 years (a longer period of time than ANY African country was colonized by White Western Europeans) does that mean that Greeks get to whine non stop for the next thousands years? No it's the past and they have moved on and gotten over it....Blacks should do the same thing....

Lol at the "internment camps" that's another good one....You should see what the Japanese army did during WW2 to the Chinese/Korean civilians when they invaded China....it makes the interment camps look like a walk in the park....

If you take an honest and unbiased look at history....the US and Whitey in general haven't even done that many bad things relative to what other countries/races/groups have done....Yet the crimes of the US and Whitey are ALL the Left wingers harp on non stop 24/7....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates