Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 02:08 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times

Advertisements

I have two good ones - A while back I used to manage a small, neighborhood restaurant in Philly. It was a diverse neighborhood - blacks, whites, latinos, asians - that skewed a little lower income (not really poor, but not the kind of people who eat out much either). Anyway, our clientele was a little less diverse than the neighborhood on the whole but every night we had people of all sorts at our tables.

One night this guy from the neighborhood opens the door - it's November - and he just stands there with the door open, looks around, and then yells to me (I'm in the back of the dining room) "yo, y'all got menus?" So I say, "Sure" and point him to the place on the bar where the menus are. I meet him there, hand him a menu, ask him if he wants a table, and he says "No. Y'all got takeout? I just need a takeout menu." We did have takeout but it's an old building so it was a separate entrance (I'm not gonna walk him through the kitchen) so I pointed him out the side door and in the right direction. He comes back 5 minutes later and asks to talk to me outside. I go out with him and he proceeds to lecture me on how disrespectful and racist that was and how "you can't be in a neighborhood like this if you don't want to serve black people." I pointed over my shoulder to the window so he could see how ridiculous his claim was (clearly visible black patrons and staff) and I said, "I live here, most of our staff lives here, most of our patrons live within 5 blocks of here. I got no problems with anyone. If you picked up any vibe from me it's because you were holding the door open and yelling across my dining room. We might not be a fancy place but people are still here trying to enjoy a meal."

On a different occasion when my daughter was really young and running a fever I ran down to the pharmacy to try to find one of those hi-tech thermometers but I was really tired and was just kinda staring at the shelves waiting for a thermometer to jump out at me and I hear "Can I help you?" In hindsight it was definitely rhetorical in tone but at the time I wasn't really paying attention and this is Philly where pharmacy clerks are not the politest of people to begin with. So, I only half glanced over, and I said, "I'm looking for a thermometer but I'm still not sure which kind." and she said "excuse me?" and this time I definitely got the incredulous tone. I turned towards her and saw the look on her face and I shrugged and made my own face as if to say "what's the problem?" and she said "why are you following me?" I said, "I'm not following you. My kid is sick. I need a thermometer." Up 'til that point I just thought she was a little paranoid and thought I was creeping. Then she said, "and you don't work here?" to which I replied "no I don't . . . ohhhh. *chuckle* No. I don't work here. I'm here to buy a thermometer." Then I just stared at her waiting for an apology - until she walked away without giving one.

Then I started to think back to all of those other occasions where something similar was happening but the "offended" people weren't as confrontational about it so I didn't pick up on it.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:16 AM

725 posts, read 805,664 times
Racism does exist because everyone is a race and everyone will feel more comfortable around people of his or her race and like his or her race more because it is only natural and a matter of biological survival that one does so. What sucks is everyone is proud to be black, Asian or arab and everyone says they want to look out for their communities and have their own businesses which hires their own people but only whites are blasted for saying the same things.

And it has become ingrained in the public that it is bad for whites not to give blacks preference in jobs, schooling and etc so as not to seem racist; blacks will get special favor because they are black, which actual means that they can't do it on their own without whites helping them out.

Since I realize this bs of how whites are penalized for being white and want to counter it I do the opposite and give the antiwhites no business and no work. Of course when I can't control it like which waiter I get or which delivery person or etc I treat fairly and tip the same. And never do I support police abuse and the enforcement of abusive laws.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:31 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
....Personally, in my opinion, things like this are silly. I think they make the accusers look ridiculous (and frankly, racist, if they are seeing things like classic Christmas songs as a "black vs. white" type of thing), and I feel bad for people like Darius Rucker -- a talented musician who did a beautiful job of singing a classic Christmas carol.

Thoughts?
Some of these incidents are miserably embarrassing. I remember the one where a man resigned from his job because he used the word "*****rdly" to describe a budget, and some of his listeners thought it was a racist slur.

Washingtonpost.com: D.C. Mayor Acted 'Hastily,' Will Rehire Aide

These sort of really dumb brouhahas, I believe, do a lot of damage.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:34 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Unfortunately, Black people are more likely to be discriminated against, but that doesn't mean many won't take advantage of the perception of widespread discrimination.

I know a college professor at a largely minority college. He told me every semester he has one or two failing students complain to the administration that they are being failed because he is racist. However, the claims are spurious since many of the highest grades are going to Black students.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:17 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post
My 15 year-old likes to jokingly call everything racist. For example, if I say, "Sweetie, go feed the dog," he'll reply, "That's racist," to which I reply, "I can't be racist, I'm a minority."

I'm not sure if this is actually true, but I heard somewhere that minorities can't be racist, so if it puts my kid in his place, I'm running with it.
I think you're doing your son a disservice by teaching him that racism only happens in some groups.

Way back in my high school days (early 1990s), there was a fight on the basketball courts after lunch. One guy was white, the other black. The administration brought us all together in the assembly hall for a big lecture on racism.

The only problem was, the fight had nothing at all to do with race. It had to do with the basketball game. The black guy who was involved with the fight actually stood up in the assembly and shouted out "What are you talking about? We were fighting over the score." and walked out.

People in general need to stop hiding behind any excuse, including racism, and take responsibility for their actions, words, behaviors and presentation.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:22 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Brilliant lesson in my post #23. The C-D site automatically supplied asterisks for the totally non-racist word in question, which I had spelled out.

No wonder so many people can thumb their noses and snig ger at real racism.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:45 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Happened to every race/group on earth...Like I said Greece (a "white" European country) was colonized by Arab Turks for nearly 350 years (a longer period of time than ANY African country was colonized by White Western Europeans) does that mean that Greeks get to whine non stop for the next thousands years? No it's the past and they have moved on and gotten over it....Blacks should do the same thing....

Lol at the "internment camps" that's another good one....You should see what the Japanese army did during WW2 to the Chinese/Korean civilians when they invaded China....it makes the interment camps look like a walk in the park....

If you take an honest and unbiased look at history....the US and Whitey in general haven't even done that many bad things relative to what other countries/races/groups have done....Yet the crimes of the US and Whitey are ALL the Left wingers harp on non stop 24/7....
I get it, but that's my point. Racism is extreme! It can't ever be taken anywhere if it's already pretty extreme!

And it's a sad thing that humans invented and perpetuate, which, I do think started in Egypt. Tsk.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:52 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep. When I was working in an ICU, I walked into a patient room and he was not breathing. There was a black nurse assistant in the room, I immediately grabbed the ambu bag and started bagging and told the nurse assistant to get the nurses. About a week later the head nurse called me into her office. The nurse assistant cried racism since I told her to get help. The head nurse acknowledge I did what I should do and said she had to pull me in. I couldn't believe it. What the hell business did that nurse assistant have working in a hospital with that pathetic attitude?
What I want to know is why you did not file a complaint against her for making such a wild/absurd accusation. Apparently she was not doing her job properly, as even a nursing assistant should know if a person is not breathing and call a code blue. I would have filed the complaint to get this woman fired, and if the hospital refused for fear of cries of racism, I'd contact the legal council for the hospital. If that didn't work, I'd contact the family of the person who was in ICU and volunteer to be a witness if they filed a lawsuit for the inaction of this slug.
There is no room for that type od crap in a hospital, much less an ICU ward.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:06 PM

18 posts, read 39,999 times
Yes, that is stupid. Some people are stupid. Anybody with half a brain KNOWS that White Christmas is referring to snow. Not the Klan, and not to cocaine (that I know of).

Old 03-19-2015, 01:16 PM

18 posts, read 39,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Racism does exist because everyone is a race and everyone will feel more comfortable around people of his or her race and like his or her race more because it is only natural and a matter of biological survival that one does so. What sucks is everyone is proud to be black, Asian or arab and everyone says they want to look out for their communities and have their own businesses which hires their own people but only whites are blasted for saying the same things.

And it has become ingrained in the public that it is bad for whites not to give blacks preference in jobs, schooling and etc so as not to seem racist; blacks will get special favor because they are black, which actual means that they can't do it on their own without whites helping them out.

Since I realize this bs of how whites are penalized for being white and want to counter it I do the opposite and give the antiwhites no business and no work. Of course when I can't control it like which waiter I get or which delivery person or etc I treat fairly and tip the same. And never do I support police abuse and the enforcement of abusive laws.
What you are saying is misguided.

It's not that its seen as bad not to give blacks preference, but to not provide them with an opportunity simply because they are black. Very different. The reason: black unemployment rate is twice that of whites and has been for years. Clearly there is some discrimination going on.

Whites are rarely if ever penalized for being white. Very much to the contrary. It's blacks (and other people of color) who are often the ones penalized for NOT being white.

I can't remember the last time I was ever given preference just for being black, but I have had racial epithets thrown at me, I have been assumed to be a criminal when I'm not, I have been asked why I'm in a certain place minding my own d*** business, and I have been questioned when I went to make a purchase as to whether a credit card was actually mine (and I am a normal looking black woman, who dressed well and has a good job).

I doubt you can say the same has happened to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates