Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 07:10 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,530 times

Advertisements

No, I'm not upset about the jailings at all. Whether the children are the age of consent or not, the teacher/adult is in a position of authority over the child, which makes the relationship one-sided, with one person holding all the power and exploiting the younger one.

Teachers are there to teach our kids, not to scope out their classes as some kind of dating service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 08:51 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,945,840 times
First, I do agree that jail is a harsh sentence for these kind of people. There are worse crimes out there. Give them community service or just permanently ban them from schools.

Yes, generally and plainly speaking, I do think that a teacher should be professional with her/his students, and in no way find themselves titillated by them. This is chiefly in the cases where the teacher is above 25 and the student a 15 year old. However, there are 'grey areas' in these cases - I would personally give a 23 year old teacher with a 17 year old a much less harsh "punishment". After all, that's the age of consent in most countries and the age difference isn't dramatic.

If a regular (or non-teacher) 23 year old finds himself attracted and drawn to a 17 year old (and he gets it in return), this should be trivial at best. If you're worrying about this (that small age gap) then you have too much time on your hands. Not to mention, and as I said before in these kind of threads, 16 year olds aren't that innocent themselves. When I was in high school, these kids inappropriately objectified attractive teachers.

Laws aren't always "right" anyway. A 12 year old can get laid in some South American countries (yikes). In the other extreme, you would get lashes if you were to have sex before marriage in Saudi Arabia and Somalia....And yet you're sitting down here worrying about consensual sex between someone in the early 20s and late teens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
It's an insult to TRUE VICTIMS of child sexual abuse and sexual assault to claim you were "molested" at 16 or 17. Take some responsiblity for your selves. Same when a 16/17 year old commits a violent crime. They know what they're doing and should be charged as adults. A 17 year old knows the difference between good touch and bad touch.

People in America view a 17 year old no different than a 12 year old. Unless they commit a crime. Then they are charged as an adult. What hypocrisy!
I don't think I've ever read a C-D post that is so full of truth and actuality. Well friggin' said!

I really couldn't have said it better (and I know I didn't)!

This should be printed in newspapers. The hypocrites should definitely read this.

Last edited by Ethereal; 03-20-2015 at 09:23 PM..

Old 03-20-2015, 08:55 PM

725 posts, read 805,148 times
It's risiculous. Once people are 14 they can make decisions about what they want to do with their bodies. If students who are past puberty voluntarily engage in a relationship with anyone including a teacher it's their right, choice and business.

As much as I detest sin, it is not appropriate for the government to be control what people do to their bodies. Any laws that criminalize this type of action are abusive, invalid, unconstitutional and inhumane as are the people who enforce them. Let people be and go after murderers, rapists, habitual thieves and batterers.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:56 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,272 times
Default What makes you think that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I agree with a lot of that they were hired to teach, but
Sexual predator is the most overused term I've ever heard. To me that is a rapist or someone that preys on little kids.

If you want to be real, I guarantee you that the student's were the ones initiating and preying on the teachers in many of these cases. Especially the male teachers. They're not going to start hitting on 17 year old chicks. Give me a break.
Why wouldn't a male teacher hit on a 17 year old student if he found her attractive?

Old 03-20-2015, 10:57 PM

13,245 posts, read 7,295,079 times
First of all if someone is over 18 and has sex with a teacher the teacher should be fired from her job but not prosecuted like in the state of Texas such as this incident. Brittni Nicole Colleps, Texas Teacher, Found Guilty After Group Sex With 5 Students

Now if someone is doing this with underage kids they should be criminal prosecuted.

Quote:
It's risiculous. Once people are 14 they can make decisions about what they want to do with their bodies. If students who are past puberty voluntarily engage in a relationship with anyone including a teacher it's their right, choice and business.
14 is not old enough to make a decision to have sex with an adult.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:45 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times
It boils down to the same thing as a psychiatrist having sex with a patient. Position of authority.

The punishments.. I don't think anyone who has what would be a normal, lawful sexual relation outside of their job, should ever be placed on a sex offender registry (A note.. I so strongly disagree with those in the first place, but that's another discussion)..

Should they lose their job? Certainly. But prison or a SOR? No.

Someone mentioned the AOC would eventually become 21.. lol.. Silly person. Half the lawmakers who would have to enact that law are banging someone under 21. Never gonna happen.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:50 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Yeah, sometimes we go medieval on someone because we can, not because we should. It's like us taking out our frustrations about not being able to catch real criminals.

I think people should probably loose their position, but jail doesn't seem to "fix" anything does it? It doesn't keep society any safer than firing them.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:53 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,338,156 times
There is a huge difference in the maturity of a 23 year old vs 16, or 17 year. Plus a teacher is in a position of power, it's wrong, and it's predatory.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:02 AM

725 posts, read 805,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
There is a huge difference in the maturity of a 23 year old vs 16, or 17 year. Plus a teacher is in a position of power, it's wrong, and it's predatory.
I know people who are 40 who are ten times more immature than 16 year olds and some 16 year olds who are wiser than their grandparents. I don't think 16 or 17 and 23 or 26 is big difference. This generation is the kid generation. People do the same crap at 17 as they do at 30 and both live with their parents.

If you are talking about maturity, most people today of any age are sexually immoral and make stupid and foolish decisions. I don't see what the difference is between 17 and 18. It's an arbitrary number.

People used to get married at 15 to sometimes people twice their age. They had kids and lived a long time. Yes that involved marriage but nowadays people 17, 18 or 40 don't respect the institution and live polluted lives. But let them live if they want. Hopefully they are raised better. Persecuting people for engaging in voluntary relationships won't change anything. Social control never works. Just raise better kids.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:23 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
This speaks to the vileness of the cops, prosecutors, judges and jury members who enforce abusive, unconstitutional and inhumane laws. They are always trying to go after someone. Pure bloodlust. I don't know why so many people want to punish others when they even aren't victims of a situation.
Because SEX.

People don't like admitting we are animals, they like to think we are just embodied brains with no instinct to procreate.

Teens have always had sex and always will, I think the average age is around 16-17. But now it's only ok if the sex partner is aged 2 years +/- to them and not a teacher (authority). That's why we don't let anyone have sex with their superior at work either. Wait. What????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates