Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 07:36 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times

Advertisements

For some bizarre reason, students develop crushes on teachers. The second that a teacher realizes any attraction to the flirting 17 year old, that teacher should resign. If that teacher acts on urges brought on by the teenager, that teacher is accountable for the actions of both parties. If the actions are sexual, then there's a big problem of crossing the line between position of power and sex.

Between a flirting teenager and a teacher, one party has to make the first move to take it to a higher level. The minute the teenager makes the first move, the teacher has an obligation to take the professional high road. The only way that it goes forward is when the teacher makes the first move to elevate the relationship from flirting to sexual and professional misconduct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 07:48 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,223 times
Power dynamic aside.....no grown woman should be having sex with a 15 year old. I'm disgusted....

Teacher Kathryn Ronk Sentenced To 15 Years In Prison For Sex With 15-Year-Old Student

Old 03-21-2015, 08:17 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
Power dynamic aside.....no grown woman should be having sex with a 15 year old. I'm disgusted....

Teacher Kathryn Ronk Sentenced To 15 Years In Prison For Sex With 15-Year-Old Student
Teacher/child sexual relationship is just not okay. The teacher may well be infatuated, but the child is not. The child is looking to a mentor for guidance in understanding new feelings.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:11 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
Not offended by at all. A teacher has an awesome responsibility, both to their young students, to the parents and to the public. There's no possible room in that responsibility for indulging in sex with those students. If they can't control an attraction toward any of those students, they belong in prison.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:58 PM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingSun361 View Post
From what I'm reading in the news, it sounds like most of the students are 16, 17, 18 and sometimes of legal age in their state. The teacher is in her early 20's. The relationship is usually consensual. Sending them to jail seems like a really barbaric and draconian punishment to me.
Moderator cut: against TOS the overwhelming majority of mature adults would say that any teacher, entrusted with the responsibility of the well being of children, should face strict penalties for a breach of that trust.
I don't care if it is a female teacher or not. I don't care of the student is 17 years and 364 days old, it is still a breach of ethics, morals and trust.
Sadly we all know that women, despite demanding to be treated as equals, get lighter sentences/penalties for this breach of trust. Still if it were my son, I would still want to see the teacher behind bars.

For life?
Of course not.
However a stiff enough sentence to serve as a deterrent to other potentially morally corrupt educators.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-22-2015 at 12:50 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 12:05 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
From what I'm reading in the news, it sounds like most of the students are 16, 17, 18 and sometimes of legal age in their state. The teacher is in her early 20's. The relationship is usually consensual. Sending them to jail seems like a really barbaric and draconian punishment to me.
It's still a conflict of interests to do this, even in college and you aren't a student. It also opens up issues of control and domination.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:33 AM

685 posts, read 720,895 times
Quote:
While my degree is in elem. ed., my career was not. The most teaching I did was just student teaching. I saw other posters saying the kids were (or may have been) a legal age. That, however, does not make what happened any worse. Teachers are supposed to set examples and be professional. Screwing around with students is not. So, jail time seems reasonable to me.

To me, it's just another example of where our country is falling. Yes, it sounds draconian. But as a "model" for life, the teachers screwed up. I understand it may not considered a crime but that's not the point. It sets a bad precedence. I'm pretty progressive but not in this situation.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:40 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post

I'm shocked she was facing life in prison at all. 15 years is pretty hefty as well. 5 seems like more than enough time. She already lost her job and won't be getting another teaching job AND will (I assume) have to register as a sex offender, probably for life, meaning she's even less likely to find a decent job anyway. She'll face enough punishment under the current system; 15 years is too many for acting unethical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

So says the person that in engaged in the activity. You think your opinion my be colored by your own bias?

Though chronological age does not always indicate maturity, we have set the age at 18 for a reason.
Though your individual circumstance may be different, most 17 year old boys are not as mature as 22 year old women. So you cannot go by your one personal example as being the norm.

-----

The homosexual pedophile group NAMBLA has pushed for years to reduce the age of consent to 17. The reason they give is that a boy at 17 years & 364 days is the same as one day later. However their goal is just to get on the slippery slope because once the age of consent is lowered, they get closer to their goal being able to legally have sex with even younger boys.
If I'm being honest, 18 doesn't actually make a whole lot of sense. For a number of reasons; maturity is not black and white. Arguably, the moment puberty starts, you are technically sexually mature. Young people are sexually curious; our hyper conservative society has taught us that they aren't. This isn't be saying child sex abuse is ok, obviously. This is me saying young people aren't completely defenseless all the time. It's natural for them to experiment on each other and be interested in the complex topic of sexuality. But we put our fingers in our ears and like to think the happiest thoughts. And that makes sense. No parent wants to think of their 16 year old daughter as being sexually active, but statistically, there's a good chance she is and there's a good chance she enjoys it.

Do I think older people should be with younger people though? Nope. At least, most of the time no. I think there are reasonable exceptions; 17 and 22 could be among them.

The issue with our thinking is we assume every case is the same; it's not. I don't doubt that there have been instances when a 22 year old took advantage of a 17 year old who thought it was consensual. But there are also examples where the 22 and 17 year old were both on the same page and wanted the same things. We need to start looking at these types of things on a case by case basis, no at one size fits all mentality. Non-Dangerous 'sex offenders' should not be labeled sex offenders.

And frankly, if we want to base age of consent on science, it should be ~25, which is when the brain is completely done developing.

In my opinion, we should have more than just minor and adult status. Infant-12/13 can be child, a minor can be 13/14-17/18; a young adult can be 18/19-25/26, then you can be a full on adult after. A system like that is more based on reality than our current system where we just assume someone is suddenly super mature once they reach the age of 18. Not sure how many 18 year olds you know... but a lot of them are not that mature. I wouldn't consider them adults; I wouldn't even say I was an adult at 18.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:40 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
The topic is whether jailing a teacher for having sex with a student is acceptable. Any post that does not have that as its focus is off topic. In other words, this thread is not a debate about pedophilia, other than how it DIRECTLY applies to teachers being jailed for it.

If you want to discuss the legitimacy of pedophilia laws, or any other related topic, START A NEW THREAD.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:31 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I don't think it's the age difference so much as the role a teacher plays in s student's life. It's supposed to be professional. And with the legal age of consent being 18 in most places, it IS considered statutory rape. How would you feel about a male teacher having sex with a female student? The same? Or is there a double standard here?

If there is a strong attraction between the two, the teacher, being in the adult role, should be mature enough to wait until the student graduates and a relationship is more appropriate.

as long as my daughter is of age at age 18, and she consented to the sexual contact with no force from the teacher, then it is her decision. she is of legal age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates