Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:50 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I don't think it will gain too much traction. Aptitude tests only tell you so much. Nothing is more common than a "smart" person with no motivation, self-discipline, or interpersonal skills. A college degree not only demonstrates aptitude, but a broad suite of skills (writing and math for two), and evidence of follow through.
How could a college degree demonstrate writing and math skills better than tests done specifically to measure writing and math skills?

Quote:
Besides, if the aptitude scores show important variation by race (likely), or whatever, and are used to justify hiring of a subset of races, a massive law suit would be a given.

Generally, I like our current system. Look at their education, their additional experience, hobbies, achievements, read their cover letter to see if they can communicate, call their references to see if they were an asset to their former employers, and give them an interview to see if they can make the sale. I cannot see how all that information could be replaced by a single score. If a person nails all of those, I feel comfortable offering a job, regardless of their "aptitude."
Without the threat of disparate impact lawsuits you could look at all those things, plus aptitude (IQ) math, writing and whatever else you wanted to test for and learn far more about a person than what their college degree tells you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 07:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Fiddlehead deserves a of of credit for describing 80% of the workplaces so accurately. I lost a couple of jobs because I argued with a boss and they could not tolerate that I was correct in my analysis. I spent the last 25 years of my career doing what I was told and blending in as much as possible. The result was a decent pension and really good health insurance. I consider that fair payment for 25 years of applied boredom. If I had won the lottery I would have quit in a split instant.

It appears difficult for most graduates to realize they are working for the money. Enjoying your job is a bonus.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:59 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
I recently read about a large corporation that places no value on degrees or experience, but rather on how well job candidates perform on its aptitude tests. Google has the GLAT, and really most STEM centered corporations have similar tests... but it seems that corporate America is rapidly adopting that strategy for all levels of white collar employment. Aptitude tests have become the most recent corporate methodology fad.

So what good is the national push for higher education if corporate America will just ignore degrees entirely?
"Big College" needs to be thoroughly investigated in front of congress.

That being said, these corporations are acting the way that they should.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:05 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Have to pass a aptitude test to get in the Military so why not.....Then again there are so many posters on CD that can't pass the basic ASVAB. No wonder people poopoo the idea....

Old 03-25-2015, 08:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Some of us have no idea what ASVAB means.

I remember a test when I went in the Navy. I did very well on spatial awareness. When I wound up on the Mekong I was glad I had the talent.

The one thing that any college degree proves is that the recipient has a nearly infinite capacity for insignificant trivia and putting up with boredom.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:58 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
I recently read about a large corporation that places no value on degrees or experience, but rather on how well job candidates perform on its aptitude tests. Google has the GLAT, and really most STEM centered corporations have similar tests... but it seems that corporate America is rapidly adopting that strategy for all levels of white collar employment. Aptitude tests have become the most recent corporate methodology fad.

So what good is the national push for higher education if corporate America will just ignore degrees entirely?
You are assuming that your theory is already happening.
Good luck getting a decent job without a college degree.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:15 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
If corporations relied solely on an aptitude tests to determine who to hire, I can guarantee there will be wide scale complaints of unfairness. Anyone can have a bad day and imagine all your experience rendered pointless because you choked on a test.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:20 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Some of us have no idea what ASVAB means.

I remember a test when I went in the Navy. I did very well on spatial awareness. When I wound up on the Mekong I was glad I had the talent.

The one thing that any college degree proves is that the recipient has a nearly infinite capacity for insignificant trivia and putting up with boredom.
Armed service vocational aptitude battery....Introduced in 1968

Official Site of the ASVAB Testing Program

ASVAB Practice Questions | ASVAB Test Review

Old 03-25-2015, 11:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:

This isn't any new corporate methodology fad. I remember taking some kind of aptitude test back in 1978, and have take numerous such tests when applying for jobs ever since. These positions ranged from entry level to vice president. How is this any different from tests such as the GRE, GMAT or LSAT when applying to grad or law school? It has nothing to do with any kind of national push for higher education.

Companies obviously want to hire the best person. I would prefer to have the results of an aptitude test when making a hiring decision rather than the results of a personality test that some HR departments like to give.

I did have a new test recently. I had to write an essay as part of an interview. It was the first time an essay had ever been required. I think it is an excellent idea and is quite revealing about a job candidate.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:18 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
If corporations relied solely on an aptitude tests to determine who to hire, I can guarantee there will be wide scale complaints of unfairness. Anyone can have a bad day and imagine all your experience rendered pointless because you choked on a test.
Probably true.

Also, those who test well can be flaky. I was good on tests and skated through school. Great short term memory. Like the guy in Stripes, I once learned a semester of geology in one night, and pulled the high score on the final in a huge lecture class. Six months later, I did not remember a thing about the topic, which shames me to this day. I did the bare minimum. It was not until about my last year of college that I realized I was just screwing myself be doing that stuff. Thereafter, I learned self-discipline and developed a work ethic (I still work on both to this day-laziness is always at the door!), which are much more useful qualities than test smarts, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates