Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 01:22 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Excellent commentary, totally agree on all his points. While his negative experiences are with military family, he is correct about this entitlement mentality and coddling of the military.

Let's not place our soldiers on a pedestal - Newsday

MODERATOR NOTE: If you disagree with another poster you are welcome to post to explain why you think they are wrong, but do not attack the poster. You will receive an infraction if you do.

It's a byproduct of all the hoo-rah building up cherishing nonsense you HAVE TO DO to maintain a big volunteer army. If you don't convince them they are great, who's gonna volunteer to die for your dumb agenda?

The side effect will be entitlement. Sadly, not even from the soldiers, but their families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 01:25 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
/\ DITTO! I am always bemused by my fellow citizens who have never born the burden of defending the Flag under fire (and the basic obligations of citizenship if one is inclined to read the Constitution) while enjoying the benefits of those who have done so.
The people serving now are hardly defending our flag.
That's the sad, sorry, painful truth.

They do deserve respect for being willing to should push come to shove.
That being said, if we actually ever were really threatened, I would pick up a gun and go, too.
And that ain't a bunch of hooey talk.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
As an ex river rat I would never want to be placed on a pedestal, metaphoric or real, because I would then become a really good target.

Please do not blame our soldiers for their predicament. They served so they deserve some compensation beyond room, board and salary. Respect would also be appropriate.

If you want to complain do it about our financiers, corporations and politicians that have yet to be able to thrive without constant war. We do not need to spend over ten times as much for our "defense" as any other country except to keep our military suppliers and their investors on a the biggest government welfare system ever built.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:21 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

That being said, if we actually ever were really threatened, I would pick up a gun and go, too.
At what point would that be? If you wait till the bombs are falling on Dallas, it's a little too late, don't ya think?

Old 06-05-2015, 06:31 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
Full disclosure my fiancée is in the military. I definitely don't put military members on a pedestal, they're human beings just like everyone else and some of the are *******s and some are straight up bad people.

The idea that just because someone is in the military they are a "hero" has always bugged me.

More than anything though I can't stand spouses like the one in the OP, stop wearing your husband's rank. You didn't serve and aren't entitled to military discounts.

Military discounts aren't required they are something a business chooses to offer. If they want to only extend it to military members and not family members that's their right. When a spouse then turns around and complains, the business might just stop offering the discount all together.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:03 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times
No, let's put Carol Jenner on one instead.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
No, let's put Carol Jenner on one instead.
Who's that?

Old 06-05-2015, 08:15 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,981 times
Quote:

Well - thats a very comforting thought. Unfortunately great nations don't just have nice simple "my God - they are on our borders, grab 'yer gun Bubba!"

Modern international interactions are a tad more complex than that.The subject is quite complex and not one I've any real interest in exploring on CD.

Suffice to say this - IMO, there are two classes of people in this country (no sexism, many women also serve); the classes, especially for males, are simply this:

At a militarily appropriate age, did one serve? It is a particularly acute question if the Flag was under fire during one's prime military age.

Being of the Viet Nam generation, I had a very clear view of how many of my peers reacted. Some of us were dumb enough to turn down scholarships for college - and enlist in 1968.

Trust me - you can get hurt in combat, sometimes it is even terminal. It dang sure ain't fun.

But somebody has to do it - or, you wouldn't have a country at all.

Pedestals - stuff it! I'll take the mutual respect of those of my brothers who shared the experience - we did not shirk our duty as citizens of this nation. To those who have come after us wearing the uniform - I do indeed salute them and ask the gods to keep from harm's way.

That's all, Folks.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 06-05-2015 at 08:37 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:

So what are doing then?

Old 06-05-2015, 08:57 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post

Well - thats a very comforting thought. Unfortunately great nations don't just have nice simple "my God - they are on our borders, grab 'yer gun Bubba!"

Modern international interactions are a tad more complex than that.The subject is quite complex and not one I've any real interest in exploring on CD.

Suffice to say this - IMO, there are two classes of people in this country (no sexism, many women also serve); the classes, especially for males, are simply this:

At a militarily appropriate age, did one serve? It is a particularly acute question if the Flag was under fire during one's prime military age.

Being of the Viet Nam generation, I had a very clear view of how many of my peers reacted. Some of us were dumb enough to turn down scholarships for college - and enlist in 1968.

Trust me - you can get hurt in combat, sometimes it is even terminal. It dang sure ain't fun.

But somebody has to do it - or, you wouldn't have a country at all.

Pedestals - stuff it! I'll take the mutual respect of those of my brothers who shared the experience - we did not shirk our duty as citizens of this nation. To those who have come after us wearing the uniform - I do indeed salute them and ask the gods to keep from harm's way.

That's all, Folks.
Well said. I totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates