Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 07:52 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times

Advertisements

The military, like every other profession, is made up of human beings and not all of them are great people, great members of their communities, dedicated patriots, etc.

They are not ALL heroes just because they put on a uniform. Trust me, I served with quite a few terrible human beings, and I was only in four years.

They did choose to serve, however, and that is more than most citizens ever did, so they do deserve some respect for that.

Of course, the military is not the only way to serve. I have respect for anyone who puts service above themselves, and that includes the usual categories (LEO, firefighters), and even those who volunteer with organizations like the Red Cross to go into disaster areas.

I do think there has been a bit too much military worship in this country since 9/11, but that was to be expected. For the record, I am a veteran and have a spouse who still serves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 09:06 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Its just a pity that we dont have to work and live in warzones.sleep in ditches or trenches,carry heavy kit and weapons for miles.. risk our lives almost every day.. perhaps come home one day blind or without limbs and to what...and thats some of the lucky ones... what an easy life these boys and girls in the military have and dont deserve our applause..
Compelling and brilliant at the very least.

I have worked with many civilian types, as well military type and I shall admit the drive, Courage, ability to push through immense stress and endure conflict for good/bad reason (providing a service to our county; [One filled with a pretentious and often un-deserving population] is unmatched by the civilian sector. Thus I must admit; military types deserve most every inch of said pedestal he/she stands atop.

Throughout our great states we idolize and place many atop Pedestals for nothing more than having pretty hair, obliterating zombies on Sundays , holding famous family members, kicking a soccer ball, and expressing same sex preference yet-the members of society whom volunteer to uphold a country's prowess and strength should not warrant said "pedestal"?

Old 06-12-2015, 03:53 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
So what are doing then?
Doing the bidding of a rich and powerful few. Our military are mercenaries working for the private sector exploiting them to squeeze every dollar on a global scale. It's pathetic to be honest. I have nothing against the actual soldiers, airmen, etc.....

They are sacrificed like feeder rats and they glorify them post-mortem by calling them heros and draping flags over their caskets. While the family is mourning, an executive is taking orders on more equipment from the government and receiving his bonus from his companies exploits. It's disgusting to say the least. The military are treated like dog crap and the ones putting them out there, aren't exactly encouraging their sons and daughters to go.

We find the lowest common denominator and put them in the military. It's no loss when their blood is spilled. God bless America my arse.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:30 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Doing the bidding of a rich and powerful few. Our military are mercenaries working for the private sector exploiting them to squeeze every dollar on a global scale. It's pathetic to be honest. I have nothing against the actual soldiers, airmen, etc.....

They are sacrificed like feeder rats and they glorify them post-mortem by calling them heros and draping flags over their caskets. While the family is mourning, an executive is taking orders on more equipment from the government and receiving his bonus from his companies exploits. It's disgusting to say the least. The military are treated like dog crap and the ones putting them out there, aren't exactly encouraging their sons and daughters to go.

We find the lowest common denominator and put them in the military. It's no loss when their blood is spilled. God bless America my arse
Sad but absolutely true. We sent thousands to war without having a VA system setup to handle the massive influx of new veterans.

22 military members and veterans kill themselves every day and almost nothing is being done to help them.

It's disgusting and heartbreaking.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:58 AM

1,431 posts, read 912,696 times
This comment is referencing the people in this post that claim we aren't fighting terrorism. Unless you have both a security clearance and a need to know, then you seriously have no clue what you're talking about. People think drones and surveillance are a big deal. There's way worse information out there that they general public can't handle.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:46 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Excellent commentary, totally agree on all his points. While his negative experiences are with military family, he is correct about this entitlement mentality and coddling of the military.

Let's not place our soldiers on a pedestal - Newsday

MODERATOR NOTE: If you disagree with another poster you are welcome to post to explain why you think they are wrong, but do not attack the poster. You will receive an infraction if you do.

I wonder how many military families he has served without ever even knowing they were a military family because they quietly paid for their items and left without complaining about no discount. My guess is tons more than the few he has chosen to single out as an excuse to smear them all as being "entitled". In fact, while on this point, it would probably benefit him as a business to offer a discount to military family members as I bet that they have been buying far more smoothies than actual active duty military members. I think that this is what the one spouse in the article was trying to point out. Granted she could have just politely mentioned it instead of throwing a temper tantrum about it.

I think everyone, well most everyone, can agree that we do indeed need a military. If we don't have people that volunteer for this then what do you think will happen? That's right, hello draft. So yes you should be thanking the men and women who serve if for no other reason than keeping your butt home and doing what you want to do.

I think we should also thank their families for the hardships they endure also. Its puzzling to me that this guy would think that they aren't deserving of recognition also. I mean does he think so little of his wife that he believes he accomplished everything he did in the military on his own? Sounds like a very selfish person to me.

For those of you who feel sorry for people getting "hoodwinked" into volunteering to fight pointless wars. You believe that this assuages your conscience enough to justify not recognizing military members contribution to society. You have no one to blame for this but yourself. Who else votes for the politicians that send them on pointless missions. So please direct your vitriol at the appropriate people, D.C., and support the ones who are only following the orders of the politicians you put in charge of them.

I find it particularly disgusting that some people here think that because they don't believe the military is really fighting terrorism or that because these kids are volunteering that they don't deserve just as much respect as past veterans. WWII vets volunteered and I don't see people arguing about respecting them.

Lastly, whether a vet was stationed on an aircraft carrier, a hospital in Texas, or in the middle of the Korangal Valley they should all get respect. I know we like to lionize our special forces and troops who actually swap lead with the enemy but they didn't do that all on their own. There were people involved in intel, air support, evac, transport, supply and yes even family members back home taking care of business so those people in the position to be pulling the trigger could concentrate on just that. All of them deserve our respect.

Full disclosure:

I am a vet. No I don't demand your respect. I would like you to respect all those who do serve and their families, especially the ones who are KIA/MIA.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:08 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,628 times
i agree with the OP. i am a now-grown navy brat whose father served over 25 years. I could never admit this to my parents!!!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:15 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Sad but absolutely true. We sent thousands to war without having a VA system setup to handle the massive influx of new veterans.

22 military members and veterans kill themselves every day and almost nothing is being done to help them.

It's disgusting and heartbreaking.
It's because I care about our soldiers that I find it abhorrent that they fight for made up b.s. crap and then are thrown under the bus when they come back all banged up from it.

Not cool.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:44 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
We find the lowest common denominator and put them in the military. It's no loss when their blood is spilled. God bless America my arse.
The U.S. doesn't "put them in the military." They volunteer.

And many are not the "lowest common denominator."

Old 06-18-2015, 04:08 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The U.S. doesn't "put them in the military." They volunteer.

And many are not the "lowest common denominator."
Like the People's Temple members volunteered to go to Jamestown. Get your head out of your rectum and actually learn that the US is a system meant to feed the few's voracious appetite for money. We provoke, manipulate and kill for our financial gain.

As a people we don't benefit. Corporations do and politicians do. That's why soldiers are tossed aside once they come back as their value is gone. Do you really think the politicians (of any party) care about the military individuals? I will admit that Bernie Sanders is the first guy I've heard who sounds he geniunely gives a flip. I could be wrong.

It's a system. People grow up in poor areas and they aren't good enough to play a sport. So they go to the military. It feeds the machine. Many are not the lowest common denominator but many are. There was some movie called The Purge where for 24 hours all crime is legal and the idea is for people to kill themselves off. There isn't a need for that when you have the US military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates