Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:08 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,629,960 times

Advertisements

I will always place the men and women who defend this country on a high pedestal. I will never forget or undermine the sacrifices they have made and make every day to defend our freedom and our rights. Whether you believe in what their fighting for or not. The next time a world war happens, it's our troops that are going to be on the front lines. The people who are against that are certain left-wing individuals who have an agenda to serve and I have nothing but contempt for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 02:28 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,768,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I will always place the men and women who defend this country on a high pedestal. I will never forget or undermine the sacrifices they have made and make every day to defend our freedom and our rights. Whether you believe in what their fighting for or not. The next time a world war happens, it's our troops that are going to be on the front lines. The people who are against that are certain left-wing individuals who have an agenda to serve and I have nothing but contempt for them.
We have homecoming parades in Glasgow for out troops and I try to make each one.. for the work they do... and you can see the pride in their faces, they mingle in the square after the parade with the public after the parade and seem to enjoy the whole day ..At the last one it was cold and raining and already had a heavy cold myself and said to my husband to go on his own as I didnt want to stand for two or more hours in the rain.........then quickly checked myself... thinking, these men sleep in the cold and rain for us at times..... and Im complaining about an hour or two to give them a welcome home and thank you.... what was I thinking...so I got myself together and went and had a great day... only some anti British antagonists tried to disrupt the speeches but were swiftly taken away by police... We dont have to put them on pedestals.. I dont think they would want that...but they love to know that what they do is appreciated as it should be.... and we should all try to help our wounded when they return...and why we have Help for Heroes.. and a big well done to Prince Harry for the work he does..
Help for Heroes - UK Military Charity

Old 03-26-2015, 06:13 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
Let us not forget that businesses offer discounts to give themselves an edge in attracting business. So, is offering a 10% discount on purchases amount to putting someone on a pedestal? What about the senior discount? You earn that by staying alive for a certain amount of years and all that is, is "luck of the draw".

I do think a lot of people that don't join the military, a choice that they make, are jealous of the discounts or job preference but since they made a choice not to join, I don't see what their issue is.

In hiring, military aren't the only ones that get a preference and generally, it was my experience that my "preference" didn't do me any good at all.

Anyone that has never served in the military isn't really going to be able to make an intelligent post about being in the military and surely won't understand the discrimination that many are subject to because they were in the military.

Jealousy? The green-eyed monster. This could just as easily have been about any other preference but targeting the military is, well, I thought it was rather sorry to judge so many because of a few outspoken ones. The military can help expand tunnel vision which would do many a heck of a lot of good.

I think those that serve in the military deserve our respect for doing so. That fact that we have enough volunteers and don't have to institute the draft, well, "Thank you for volunteering so that I don't have to leave my cushy situation by force to serve." It didn't have to be your son in Afghanistan and you didn't have to sit watching the news every night to see if action was in his part of the country. Seems worth some respect and appreciation to me.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Let us not forget that businesses offer discounts to give themselves an edge in attracting business. So, is offering a 10% discount on purchases amount to putting someone on a pedestal? What about the senior discount? You earn that by staying alive for a certain amount of years and all that is, is "luck of the draw".

I do think a lot of people that don't join the military, a choice that they make, are jealous of the discounts or job preference but since they made a choice not to join, I don't see what their issue is.

In hiring, military aren't the only ones that get a preference and generally, it was my experience that my "preference" didn't do me any good at all.

Anyone that has never served in the military isn't really going to be able to make an intelligent post about being in the military and surely won't understand the discrimination that many are subject to because they were in the military.

Jealousy? The green-eyed monster. This could just as easily have been about any other preference but targeting the military is, well, I thought it was rather sorry to judge so many because of a few outspoken ones. The military can help expand tunnel vision which would do many a heck of a lot of good.

I think those that serve in the military deserve our respect for doing so. That fact that we have enough volunteers and don't have to institute the draft, well, "Thank you for volunteering so that I don't have to leave my cushy situation by force to serve." It didn't have to be your son in Afghanistan and you didn't have to sit watching the news every night to see if action was in his part of the country. Seems worth some respect and appreciation to me.
You took the words out of my mouth... Jealousy ,all it is or inferiority that they never served in the military might be another issue... saddos... you are an embarrassment to your country and yourselves, moaning about discounts should be the least of your worries.. My son was in bomb disposal, what did you lot dispose of..I wouldnt bother answering..

Old 03-26-2015, 07:07 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,747,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Our military men and women deserve every ounce of respect we can muster. What's the matter with you people? Walmart cashiers don't worry about having their limbs blown off while ringing up a sale.
Yeah, this whole thread has me pretty rattled.

You can "choose" whatever career you want because someone else's sons and daughters are writing that "blank check" for the United States, and putting their life on the line.

Life is sweet and easy for most of us, because of the heroic sacrificies of our military men and women, today and in years' past.

WTH is wrong with people?

Good grief.

And I thought the thread about the Vietnam War Memorial statute being treated like playground equipment by ill-behaved little miscreants was bad enough. This one's worse.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:43 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
All of us realize the sacrifices that our service people and their families make for the rest of us, no one is disputing that. But we have a lot of other people who do similar acts of bravery for us, every day, and they get very little recognition. For example, our people in Law Enforcement.

Every day that a cop goes out on his/her shift, they are fighting a war, a war against drug dealers, murderers, abusers, thieves, and criminals of all kinds. They never know if they will go home that night, or if some lowlife will kill them and think nothing of it. Their families share in that burden, and realize every time they kiss them goodbye might be the last time. That is a heavy weight to bear.

It always amazes me that we hold service men and women in such high regard, but we sometimes have such great hatred for the "soldiers" who patrol our streets at home so the rest of us can sleep well at night. If anyone thinks a cops job is any easier than a foot soldier, put on their vest and gun belt and tell us in a year how you feel then.

And, lets not forget other first responders, like firefighters, paramedics, and people like that.

Don

Old 03-26-2015, 07:47 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,430,203 times
I will not encourage my kids to go into the military unless this Nation and its policies change in the next 18 years. The military is no longer used to protect and defend the Nation, but rather to police the world and manage its economics. The last War where we were truly defending ourselves was WW2, since then its been about meddling in other Nations' affairs.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:36 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I agree we do too much military worship here in the US. Then again that's what America is proving to be about, wars and military--which I find appalling.
Exactly,
what offends me the most is how they and their supporters talk to us as if we don't do s... for America.

I'm very proud to be an engineer in a manufacturing facility that employs hundreds of Americans and manufacture American products designed by me and my co-workers.
And I have to put up with people telling me "You should thank me for everything you have".

When are you gonna thank me for the American jobs I created?

Old 03-26-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
All of us realize the sacrifices that our service people and their families make for the rest of us, no one is disputing that. But we have a lot of other people who do similar acts of bravery for us, every day, and they get very little recognition. For example, our people in Law Enforcement.

Every day that a cop goes out on his/her shift, they are fighting a war, a war against drug dealers, murderers, abusers, thieves, and criminals of all kinds. They never know if they will go home that night, or if some lowlife will kill them and think nothing of it. Their families share in that burden, and realize every time they kiss them goodbye might be the last time. That is a heavy weight to bear.

It always amazes me that we hold service men and women in such high regard, but we sometimes have such great hatred for the "soldiers" who patrol our streets at home so the rest of us can sleep well at night. If anyone thinks a cops job is any easier than a foot soldier, put on their vest and gun belt and tell us in a year how you feel then.

And, lets not forget other first responders, like firefighters, paramedics, and people like that.

Don
yes I agree all noble jobs and thankful for them all... but they go home at the end of the day.. they can quit their job when they want to... and probably leave with a better pension..

Old 03-26-2015, 09:32 AM

6,455 posts, read 9,822,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Exactly,
what offends me the most is how they and their supporters talk to us as if we don't do s... for America.

I'm very proud to be an engineer in a manufacturing facility that employs hundreds of Americans and manufacture American products designed by me and my co-workers.
And I have to put up with people telling me "You should thank me for everything you have".

When are you gonna thank me for the American jobs I created?

So as an engineer at a manufacturing facility how many jobs did you create there?

I server in the Navy and do not go around with a chip on my shoulder nor expecting anything from anyone for that. For the people disrespecting the services, please feel free to move to any other country in the world and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates