Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 06:42 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,166,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
People hear and remember the number, even though it is wrong. I bet if you asked people on the street, most would parrot the fifty percent number. It's based on one year, 1981, when the number of divorces was half the number of marriages. It didn't take into account the total number of marriages already in place.
Similarly, I bet most people would say that divorce is on the rise. It isn't. It peaked in the late 70's or early 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 10:17 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,901 times
NO!!
IMO the reason you get married is to raise a family, and to make it legally binding in case one dies. If you are going to stay childless, then why sign up for a lifetime with ONE person. Keep your potions open. PLENTY of marriages stay together for the kids, even though everyone tells you to NEVER do this...plenty of couples don't want to put kids through a divorce, or don't want to be weekend dads...so as long as they can get along and not fight, they tough it out...if not for kids I would bet divorce rates would skyrocket

I bet there are a LOT of couples that tough it out and once the kiddies are out on their own, they split up...marriage is tough, brutal, barbaric...

Old 04-01-2015, 11:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
A marriage without kids is like an unfinished painting. I've seen many people who don't have kids and they frequently get remarried then divorce then rinse and repeat. There's no end game for them it's the same game being played and it doesn't matter if you are rich or poor. The richer they are the quicker the divorce if there are no kids. I've seen people married for less than a year and ended in divorce. Aren't some women tired of name changes?

Our poor IT admin here is tired of changing your corporate email address and other related names.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:57 AM

10,226 posts, read 6,312,506 times
On 100th birthday, he wed woman of his dreams - today > news - today > news > good_news - TODAY.com

Why in the world should these get married? They certainly cannot PROCREATE. Maybe people marry each other first and foremost because they love each other? This is the 21st Century. Children are optional. They certainly are an impossibility for women marrying over the age of 60.

We sat at a table for dinner with a couple in their 60s. We are newlyweds they said. Married only 2 years. Their spouses had passed away. The had been childhood friends and reconnected at a HS Alumni Dance.

Why shouldn't couples who don't want, or can't, have children marry? If the sole reason you are marrying is to have kids, you are in for a shock. Having children does not guarantee your marriage will last. It has to be based on far more than that.

I have been married 41 years, mother of two, and grandmother of one.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:55 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Look it from the opposite direction, instead of looking for benefit from marriage tell me the harm marriage can bring a couple who are already committed.

Why wouldn't a couple who love each other & committed not get married? What harm could it bring to the couple? Are they afraid to admit to the world they are together? To me it sounds like one of the couple believes there is 10% chance of him / her finding someone better hence keeping the option open.
Marriage is just not necessary. Anything a MARRIED couple can do, an UNMARRIED couple can do. You can love each other, respect each other, raise a child or not raise a child, pursue mutual hobbies while pursuing your own hobbies. You can live together, buy a house, rent, whatever. To get married is to do something EXTRA. It is not parsimonious.

That society has seen fit to encourage the binding together of couples through legal, financial, and cultural means is something else entirely. People DO get married to benefit financially, or to get medical insurance, or to become a citizen in another country, etc. but any of those things could be attained by other methods, so, not necessary. Rather, all these "benefits" have been put into place because otherwise, why WOULD people CHOOSE to get married? Left to their own devices, couples would just be couples and do as they wished to get through life - that's natural. Marriage is a custom created by society for artificial purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates